Opinion of death metal and black metal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:29:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of death metal and black metal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of death metal and black metal
Freedom Genre/Freedom Genre

Freedom Genre/Horrible Genre

Horrible Genre/Freedom Genre

Horrible Genre/Horrible Genre

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Opinion of death metal and black metal  (Read 3483 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »

Horrible Genre/Horrible Genre obviously. I honestly like Katy Perry's music better than that crap.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »

Death metal can be quite good, but I don't very much like black metal. Freedom Genre/Horrible Genre.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »

Have a couple of links to what these genres sound like?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »

Damn man, do you have to encourage him?  Cry
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVImlALdSxA

To spare you the torture, death metal is for macho tough guys and black metal is for wannabe Satanists who play D&D.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:14 AM »

I've never heard of these genres before and was curious what they sounded like. I take it, it is just not your bag. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 10:39:58 AM »

I've never heard of these genres before and was curious what they sounded like. I take it, it is just not your bag. Tongue

That's an understatement, old man.  Cheesy
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »

Horrible Genre/Horrible Genre obviously. I honestly like Katy Perry's music better than that crap.

That's because Katy Perry is actual, good music, whereas metal is not music.

It's trash.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »

No Katy Perry is mostly bad music. But yes metal is trash.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »

I was going to post this as the best death metal song (a very soft example of one), but Wikipedia calls it black metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfczuNm0EQ <shrugs>

Either way, most songs in both genres are pretty bad, and don't represent typical metal, but that song (and many songs by that band) are great.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 04:23:34 AM »

Your opinion is incorrect. Try again.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 04:27:44 AM »

Black metal is awesome. Not really a fan of death metal.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 07:59:38 AM »

Death Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_cn9TVSi2o

Black Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ

I'll give you major props if you're able to sit through either.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »

Much better than that crap you are listening to, BRTD.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »

Much better than As bad as that crap you are listening to, BRTD.

And more similar than he realizes, especially in the reliance on guttural intentionally unintelligible lyrics. The scenester "values" ostensibly at odds with death metal doesn't change the likeness of the music itself.

Not that he'd ever admit it, let alone to himself, because Dudefest and whatever.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »

Not as good as thrash metal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »

Death Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_cn9TVSi2o

Black Metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ

I'll give you major props if you're able to sit through either.

Thanks!  The black metal piece had almost no chord changes as I scrolled through it, searching for some, and you can't dance to it, so it was very tedious. The death metal piece had more chord changes, and was musically more interesting, but the "singer" just shouting and croaking away made it unlistenable.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »

I was going to post this as the best death metal song (a very soft example of one), but Wikipedia calls it black metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfczuNm0EQ <shrugs>

Either way, most songs in both genres are pretty bad, and don't represent typical metal, but that song (and many songs by that band) are great.

I liked the instrumentation quite well, but the vocals are unfortunate. It would be better if there were none, rather than what it had.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »

And more similar than he realizes, especially in the reliance on guttural intentionally unintelligible lyrics. The scenester "values" ostensibly at odds with death metal doesn't change the likeness of the music itself.

Not that he'd ever admit it, let alone to himself, because Dudefest and whatever.

Uh, but my music has no gutteral vocals. Just because the lyrics aren't always intelligible doesn't make the vocals gutteral style or mean they sound the same, because they don't.

Like do you seriously think the vocals in this and this sound the same?

Also why do metalheads have the inverse attitude? They usually hate my music just as much as I hate metal.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »

Whatever is worse than horrible.

I like mainstream, though, mainly 1980s.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »

Uh, but my music has no gutteral vocals. Just because the lyrics aren't always intelligible doesn't make the vocals gutteral style or mean they sound the same, because they don't.

Also why do metalheads have the inverse attitude? They usually hate my music just as much as I hate metal.

Heh. A number of the song links you've posted would contrdict you. That execrable cover of whole lotta love comes immediately to mind. The fact you found two songs to prove the exception doesn't disprove the (general) rule.

And the mutual antipathy with metalheads i'd warrant comes from the same shallow emphsis on image and sub-cultural norms/values rather than vastly different musical substance .
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »

I find the story behind the band Mayhem awfully compelling.

The actual music is horrendous obviously (although I think that was kind of the point).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 12:58:50 AM »

(although I think that was kind of the point).

Good call, Eraserhead. While I don't think they'd describe it as "horrendous", much of black metal is about the rejection of the aesthetic, and that extends to the music. Black metal bands would make sound engineering choices such as recording on lo-fi equipment and reducing the bass volume (creating a washed out sound) in a deliberate effort to make their music rougher, uglier, and harsher.

I greatly enjoy black metal, though like Goldwater I prefer thrash metal. However, I can see why others would have a hard time listening to it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 01:02:18 AM »

Heh. A number of the song links you've posted would contrdict you. That execrable cover of whole lotta love comes immediately to mind. The fact you found two songs to prove the exception doesn't disprove the (general) rule.

Uh, this is the Whole Lotta Love cover. Those are NOT death metal vocals or gutteral in any way. They're actually quite high pitched, the exact opposite of death metal vocals.

Oh here's a prefect example: the song I'm listening to now

Now aside from the vocals also being nothing like death or black metal, it's also quite different in how there's mosh parts and breakdowns everywhere. And that's not just something in this one song, it's a defining trait of the genre. You find it EVERWHERE in hardcore, even the pop punk style hardcore bands...and just about nowhere in metal. Some breakdowns maybe, but I've never heard a metal song with intentionally moshy parts. Just about EVERY hardcore song has some type of drastic tempo change in it even the insanely short ones (hell, this is the perfect example), death metal bands usually play the same thing through the whole song.

I find the story behind the band Mayhem awfully compelling.

The actual music is horrendous obviously (although I think that was kind of the point).

Not too sure if "compelling" is the word I'd use. "Interesting" perhaps, but all of them were pretty obviously terrible people and not anyone I'd like to be anything like.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »

Uh, this is the Whole Lotta Love cover. Those are NOT death metal vocals or gutteral in any way. They're actually quite high pitched, the exact opposite of death metal vocals.

Oh here's a prefect example: the song I'm listening to now

Now aside from the vocals also being nothing like death or black metal, it's also quite different in how there's mosh parts and breakdowns everywhere. And that's not just something in this one song, it's a defining trait of the genre. You find it EVERWHERE in hardcore, even the pop punk style hardcore bands...and just about nowhere in metal. Some breakdowns maybe, but I've never heard a metal song with intentionally moshy parts. Just about EVERY hardcore song has some type of drastic tempo change in it even the insanely short ones (hell, this is the perfect example), death metal bands usually play the same thing through the whole song.

Oh! NOW I see it perfectly! There isn't any similarity in vocals whatsoever between these genres. At all! It is completely night and day. Despite being more than a tad familiar over 30 years with many genres of metal and punk, how could I ever fail to notice the COMPLETE disparity between these music types.

LOL! I showed a few friends your links and, while we all agreed of course there was some difference with Kid Dynamite, the other two links are VERY similar, and your inability (unwillingness?) to acknowledge the similarity was literally lulz-worthy.

It's like you have to construct some artificial purity fence around every aspect of the sub-cultures you worship in order to protect your own sense of self-identity. Heaven forbid the music that decorates the scene in which you've immersed yourself have any strong influence from the music of a non-progressive, affirming, etc. sub-culture. It's like you're.......a cultural vegan in your insistence on purity despite, sorry to say, your music was prepared on surfaces and tools also used to produce metal.

I imagine your life-view would go into an unalterable tailspin if you ever accepted that your favorite bands took musical cues from proto-death bands like Slayer (even if they themselves would refuse to accept it). But then what would one expect from a musical ostrich who famously claimed Mississippi to be dead last among states in musical influence? Roll Eyes (Damn, but if that statement didn't prove you to be whiter than any 5 Republicans I know, combined).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies