TAA crushed by House, but the game is not over yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:17:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TAA crushed by House, but the game is not over yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TAA crushed by House, but the game is not over yet  (Read 5306 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 12, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »

I'm not necessarily happy about the outcome, but Obama's strategy to pass these bills with Democratic support was all kinds of awful. It was a losing strategy and deserved to lose in this fashion. You can't, as a lame duck president that just suffered horrendous midterm losses, ask for your party to just "trust you" on trade legislation they would likely be unwilling to support under even the best circumstances. And you don't say that those who are opposing it are doing it for selfish reasons, because that just alienates those leaning no that you need to persuade. Beohner for once did a great job getting Republican votes for the legislation, but Obama couldn't convince Pelosi to back him on it, and ultimately, he needed her full support.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." ~TPP
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:11:58 AM »

Now with even Hillary against fast track (well in her typical lack of leadership way), it's really Obama against almost the entire Democratic party. However, he only needs 6 fellow DINOs to vote for cloture in the Senate. Of course if Paul or some other Republicans vote against cloture, that will help defeat it.
You will never be pleased, will you?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:04 AM »

Now with even Hillary against fast track (well in her typical lack of leadership way), it's really Obama against almost the entire Democratic party. However, he only needs 6 fellow DINOs to vote for cloture in the Senate. Of course if Paul or some other Republicans vote against cloture, that will help defeat it.
You will never be pleased, will you?

What? I will be very pleased if this crap gets defeated.
No, I mean, Hillary Clinton doesn't take a stand on TPA, and progressives accuse her of lack of leadership, and she says she would vote against it, and she's still lacking leadership? Other than stating her position, there's hardly much she can do considering she isn't, you know, in Congress.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:26:22 AM »

Instead of trying to tie up TPA on the cloture vote, I would rather some of the progressives in the Senate throw an old fashioned filibuster to try to talk the bill to death. If they really think that this potential will be that harmful to American worker, they should stand up on the Senate floor and tell their fellow Senators why they should vote no.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »

Cloture passed 60-37, with the 13 DINOs (probably the same as last time) voting for it. 4 Republicans voted against cloture this time. Many of those 13 are Hillary supporters. This is no thanks to Hillary's spinelessness.
I'm glad the green avatars of the forum are around to tell us who is a Democrat and who isn't a Democrat.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »

Like Patty Murray, renowned DINO. Honestly jfern, concern troll the green party or something. The Democrats are just fine.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »

TAA is going to be passed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies