NE1: Northeast By-Election Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:08:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Northeast By-Election Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Northeast By-Election Act  (Read 731 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« on: June 12, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »

This bill would ensure that any vacancies in the Assembly are filled with an election, rather than by appointment. The democratic will of the people should decide who is a representative.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »

I didn't see the Assembly Special Elections Act 2014 - probably because I was searching for "by election" rather than "special election".

I propose this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »

I'd rather retain appointment powers than gain voting privilege in these matters - considering the fact that I might have to make multiple appointments at once (which is a very real possibility considering the high turnover rates of the previous Assemblies), I'd either have a vote that's stronger than the elected representatives or the people would be down one representative.

I don't see why the vacancy filling system after two weeks should be changed.
I'll remove the governor voting power in my next amendment.

I, personally, don't think that anyone should be appointed to a role that is elected under normal circumstances. Which is why I'm proposing that special elections should take place two weeks before the close of the assembly term, rather than a month before. Especially considering that a term is only two months.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »

How many people are going to bother if they're just running to fill the two week term?
They may wish to run their campaign for the next term based on a few things that they've done. They might get a small incumbency bonus.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »

I haven't experienced a high turnover. I fact, I think only one person has left the assembly during my two terms - and that was to take a Senate seat.

My new proposal is basically changing the threshold to two weeks and leaving the previous bill the same otherwise.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies