NE2: Northeast Assembly Devolution Resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:49:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Northeast Assembly Devolution Resolution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Northeast Assembly Devolution Resolution  (Read 814 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2015, 04:31:41 PM by NE Speaker DKrol »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The debate period will last for 72 hours, to end at 5:00PM EST on Sunday, June 14th - although debate may be extended at that time as the Speaker sees fit.

Rep. Clyde1998, you have 36 hours to advocate for your bill.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

Sorry for bringing this back so quickly, but Bore suggested that we made the devolution bill a resolution instead. This would basically be a principle vote - on whether you support increased powers in principle. We would then lobby the Senate to get them to introduce a bill on the subject.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »

There are still a host of things on this that I wouldn't want to see devolved to the regions and probably wouldn't be good if they were. I support some increased powers, but I'm a federalist at heart.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:24:19 PM »

I'll allow amendments to this - but I'd want to hear from the other representatives before deciding if they are friendly or not.

I feel that everyone in the assembly supports more powers - the issue is finding which powers we feel should have as a region.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »

Yes! Now we're talking Cheesy
pikachu
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »

I'm very much a regionalist, but I think that it's best for the federal government to still have power in transportation and broadcasting, among other things, considering that these issues to tend to cross regional borders.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 01:03:50 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

I hate to do this, but the Federal government still needs SOME money Sad Plus, we should also consider a change in monetary policy in favor of regional legislatures Smiley
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »

Based on what Pikachu and Altsomn have said:

Also, if there are any sectors that anyone can see that I've missed off - please mention them, so we can discuss them.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think the categories are as simple as, say, health or housing or education. An inter city inter region rail network for instance should clearly be a federal responsibility but the same can't be said for suburban rail or country roads. Similarily both the federal and the regional government have taxation powers, and the same is true in different ways for most broad categories.

Personally this resolution seems to be largely committing to the principle of greater regional autonomy not so much the in depth technicalities, which could be dealt with later. If you do want to recommend specific areas the best way to do it is to recommend which parts of the powers of the senate in the constituion should be stricken or amended, because anything not mentioned there is a regional power.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think the categories are as simple as, say, health or housing or education. An inter city inter region rail network for instance should clearly be a federal responsibility but the same can't be said for suburban rail or country roads. Similarily both the federal and the regional government have taxation powers, and the same is true in different ways for most broad categories.

Personally this resolution seems to be largely committing to the principle of greater regional autonomy not so much the in depth technicalities, which could be dealt with later. If you do want to recommend specific areas the best way to do it is to recommend which parts of the powers of the senate in the constituion should be stricken or amended, because anything not mentioned there is a regional power.
I feel that this should be the last thing that we vote on for this assembly term. If this passes - I feel the Senate should open a constitutional convention to help decide the specifics of each area. This resolution lays out the rough guidelines that our assembly would want in terms of powers in a general sense.

I've started writing a list of powers that is a lot more specific than the list in the resolution (using the Scotland Act, 1998 as a guideline). I've only partially written the "reserved issues" section - and it's around two pages long already...

I can't believe that there is a section in the Scotland Act saying that the UK Government has control over units of measurement...
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 05:06:23 PM »

I feel that this should be the last thing that we vote on for this assembly term. If this passes - I feel the Senate should open a constitutional convention to help decide the specifics of each area. This resolution lays out the rough guidelines that our assembly would want in terms of powers in a general sense.

I've started writing a list of powers that is a lot more specific than the list in the resolution (using the Scotland Act, 1998 as a guideline). I've only partially written the "reserved issues" section - and it's around two pages long already...

I can't believe that there is a section in the Scotland Act saying that the UK Government has control over units of measurement...

Well no one wants a kg to be less in scotland than the rest of the UK Tongue

If we're talking a convention rather than just an amendment then the matter is not at all in the senate's hands, at least not initially, with the relevant section of the constitution being here:

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »

Well no one wants a kg to be less in scotland than the rest of the UK Tongue

If we're talking a convention rather than just an amendment then the matter is not at all in the senate's hands, at least not initially, with the relevant section of the constitution being here:

Why is it so hard to open up a constitutional convention? I know it would keep the constitution steady - but how often has a constitutional convention been opened?

In terms of sorting out which is in control of the Atlasian Government and not, I've made an early draft of "reserved matters":

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »

Debate will be extended another 24 hours.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »

We will now move to a 48 hour vote.

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »

Might as well have the debate.

Aye
pikachu
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »

Aye

I think that more clarity over federal and regional powers would benefit the game a lot.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »

So what's the next step for this?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2015, 08:24:55 AM by Clyde1998 »

I'll create a campaign group in a moment - and I'll attempt to open a constitutional convention (I need to double check how to do that though) on the subject and hopefully the Senate will look into this and deliver something along that can give clarity over what powers the regions have and that gives the regions a powerful place in Atlasia.

Failing that - I feel we should introduce a bill into the Public Consultation and Legislation Submissions Thread to get the Senate to discuss a bill on the issue.

EDIT: I've opened a sign up for a constitutional convention here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=214876.0
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies