President of Spokane NAACP outed as white imposter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:31:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President of Spokane NAACP outed as white imposter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: President of Spokane NAACP outed as white imposter  (Read 19463 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 02:06:52 PM »

What she did makes no sense, you don't have to be black to be an member of the NAACP or even be black to be eligible for the leadership. It's just a very weird story and it is funny, but what isn't funny about it is that she possibly made up hate crimes for attention.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »

EDIT: Also, passing her adopted brother off as her "son" is just weird.

she legally adopted that brother as her son

Even so, that's really weird.

This guy nails it

@PrestonMitchum If #RachelDolezal can do it, so can I.

I am now a white American.

Give me: good credit, the ability to swim, and police NOT beating me.
5:37 AM - 12 Jun 2015 · Washington, DC, United States

Exactly, which its why its tacky and cultural appropriation at best to pretend to be black.

Dolezal once told a Hispanic student that she "didn't look Hispanic enough" to truly understand what it feels like to be discriminated against.

To the posters saying "What's the big deal, she still was helping black people", I think the problem people have is that she actively lied and hid her past. Claiming various black people in pictures are her relatives, talking about growing up as a black child, putting "African-American" on job applications, stuff like that.

Yeah, knowing full well that you are white and telling a Hispanic person that they don't know what it feels like to be discriminated against is a jerk move.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »

It's funny because some SJW types on Twitter are defending her saying she's "Transethnic" or some nonsense.

You do realize that basically 100% of the people peddling that line are right-wing 4chan/8chan/etc. trolls posing as SJWs for trollish purposes, no?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »

It's funny because some SJW types on Twitter are defending her saying she's "Transethnic" or some nonsense.

You do realize that basically 100% of the people peddling that line are right-wing 4chan/8chan/etc. trolls posing as SJWs for trollish purposes, no?

How would anyone tell?  The idea that gender is flexible but that ethnicity is a stable category is in itself hilarious.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 06:45:05 PM »

Watching everyone go zrrrrt bzzzrrrt DOES NOT COMPUTE here is amazing.  Cultural appropriation?  Tacky?

Guess a white guy just has to find subtle ways to call this woman a race traitor.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2015, 10:17:49 PM by pbrower2a »

She has lived as a black woman. That is enough for me. She married and had biological children by a black man. She has made herself look stereotypically black and she has been consistent at such. Such is completely inconsistent with any semblance of white identity.

The birth certificate and her early child hood are no longer relevant. She has completely abandoned any "whiteness" that she has ever had.

Some of the fantasy is of course false.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »

I think you may be in denial about the madness that exists on Tumblr.

To be fair, the liberal meltdown (just look at the NYT comments section) is hilarious to watch, and the fact that people are apparently now trying to pass as black somewhat gratifying, but some of the hijinks she was up to, and the things she was claiming happened to her, are clearly a right proper... minefield of awfulness.

But clearly, some people's brains have been completely fried. One person on Facebook was claiming the term "African American" should be used exclusively for black Americans of African descent who do not know the particulars of their ancestry, which would mean I technically am not African American, nor is, say, Alex Haley (to give an obvious example). Yet another was claiming that "this is different!" from the whole gender thing, because gender is a social construct while race is genetic. I just stared blankly at that one for a few moments. And then there were jokes that sounded as if they had originally written by members of the SS.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »

It's like Governor Simfan said. You must be overlooking how insane Tumblr has really gotten these days. They're so extreme it's impossible to tell the parody from the reality.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 03:11:30 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2015, 03:13:08 AM by ingemann »

How would anyone tell?  The idea that gender is flexible but that ethnicity is a stable category is in itself hilarious.

Yes I barely believe what I read when people began to write that gender was a social construct and race/ethnicity was biological, when I read the discussion of this, and that was from the "non-trollish" posters.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 05:07:59 AM »

How would anyone tell?  The idea that gender is flexible but that ethnicity is a stable category is in itself hilarious.

Is this an allusion to transgender people, i.e. Caitlyn Jenner? Because she did not "change genders." She has always been a woman. That's not flexible.

Race and gender are different things. They work in different ways.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 05:12:05 AM »

I'm just going to put this out there. "Identity" is not nearly as important as both SJWs and socons make it out to be.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:10 AM »

This is utterly hilarious and I just can't get enough of it. It's funny because some SJW types on Twitter are defending her saying she's "Transethnic" or some nonsense.

It's funny to see Tumblrina's and black activists tear each other apart over this.

I mean c'mon this is kill yourself level stuff here.

Amusing as it may be, there's no real reason why someone couldn't be transracial or transethnic.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2015, 05:39:15 AM »

This is utterly hilarious and I just can't get enough of it. It's funny because some SJW types on Twitter are defending her saying she's "Transethnic" or some nonsense.

It's funny to see Tumblrina's and black activists tear each other apart over this.

Amusing as it may be, there's no real reason why someone couldn't be transracial or transethnic.

Except the fact that you can't feel like you have, say, Asian ancestry. How would one even be transracial? How would one feel like a black person in their mind when the minds of white and black people are not different?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »

There was a campaign to push up the URMs at Thomas Jefferson High School, a magnet school in NOVA.  Since I grew up in the Greater DC area and had a bunch of friends from TJHS I did read up about it.  The main problem I had with the campaign was that it does not mention that Asians were 70% of TJHS which is the real reason why URMs were, underrepresented, at TJHS.  The campaign was led by one Martina Hone who was a community organizer and projected herself as its only African American member in the Fairfax County School Board.  Only problem with this narrative is her picture from her linkdin account is

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »

Well, she can also take the Leftist argument that "race is a social construct" so there is "no objective criteria for definition of race."  So who is to say she is not Black.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

I think you may be in denial about the madness that exists on Tumblr.

It would be more accurate to say that you may be in denial about the madness that exists on /pol/.  I'm well aware that people on Tumblr can say silly things from time to time, but this is an actual trolling operation, and furthermore it should come as no surprise to anyone that this is exactly the sort of sh*t the channers are more than happy to pull.

How would anyone tell?  The idea that gender is flexible but that ethnicity is a stable category is in itself hilarious.

I don't have the first clue what you're trying to say here.  I think that you're misinterpreting and oversimplifying what people have to say about gender to the point of incoherence, but even that I'm not sure of.

This is, I'm sure, a massive oversimplification that gets a lot of things wrong, but I'd rather say that race is almost wholly a matter of how one is perceived by society, whereas while there is a large element of "how one is perceived" with gender, as well, there is also a strong biological component of the latter.  Where it gets tricky, of course, is that gender dysphoria is an actual scientifically demonstrated thing, where someone has a brain structure different from what they were assigned at birth. Calling that "flexibility" is... well, maybe not entirely inaccurate, but it is kind of misleading.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »

Except the fact that you can't feel like you have, say, Asian ancestry. How would one even be transracial? How would one feel like a black person in their mind when the minds of white and black people are not different?

Trans-Identity have little to do with things like genes or culture and much more to do with are people willing to accept that you're something. People accepted this woman as African American she was African American until people decided they wouldn't accept it no more. Few people are willing to recognise the younger Bruce Jenner as a woman, but a lot of people are willing to recognise the older Caitlyn Jenner as a woman, and if a person who didn't know her meet her on the street they would see her as a woman.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »

It's like Governor Simfan said. You must be overlooking how insane Tumblr has really gotten these days. They're so extreme it's impossible to tell the parody from the reality.

The local eugenics supporter calling others extreme.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »

EDIT: Also, passing her adopted brother off as her "son" is just weird.
she legally adopted that brother as her son
Did she?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

I don't have the first clue what you're trying to say here.  I think that you're misinterpreting and oversimplifying what people have to say about gender to the point of incoherence, but even that I'm not sure of.

This is, I'm sure, a massive oversimplification that gets a lot of things wrong, but I'd rather say that race is almost wholly a matter of how one is perceived by society, whereas while there is a large element of "how one is perceived" with gender, as well, there is also a strong biological component of the latter.  Where it gets tricky, of course, is that gender dysphoria is an actual scientifically demonstrated thing, where someone has a brain structure different from what they were assigned at birth. Calling that "flexibility" is... well, maybe not entirely inaccurate, but it is kind of misleading.

If a person is assigned a gender at birth, and they come to identify with a different gender, they tend to be considered transgender. That label doesn't depend on a brain scan.

If a person is assigned a race/ethnicity at birth, and they come to identify with a different race/ethnicity, how is that not transethnic?  If race is just a matter of perception, then that's all the more reason not to insist "she's really white."
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »

Of course this lady would get more heat than Jeb Bush.  "I'm Hispanic, even though both of my parents are white!"  Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »

Of course this lady would get more heat than Jeb Bush.  "I'm Hispanic, even though both of my parents are white!"  Tongue

The extent of the jump - as measured by the average shade in skin between applicable races - is directly proportionate to the amount of heat one receives. Cheesy

Remember that old terrible story about how all the different races came about based on how close they sat to a big bonfire God started? This lady basically bought bloodnose seats and then tried to sit in the first row - unacceptable! Tongue
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »

If she says she's black, she's black. That's it. End of story. No one has the right to define her race but her and frankly, all of the transphobia surrounding this story is sickening.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »

If she says she's black, she's black. That's it. End of story. No one has the right to define her race but her and frankly, all of the transphobia surrounding this story is sickening.

I love this forum so much.
We love you too, Cathy! Wink
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »

I assume then you have no issue with

http://nypost.com/2015/04/12/mindy-kalings-brother-explains-why-he-pretended-to-be-black/

Where one Vijay Chokal-Ingam pretended to be black to get into medical school.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies