President of Spokane NAACP outed as white imposter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:35:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President of Spokane NAACP outed as white imposter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President of Spokane NAACP outed as white imposter  (Read 19556 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 16, 2015, 02:07:19 PM »

Yes, we've come around to accept gay people after a long and public social debate where it's essentially been determined there's no good reason not to. Which is undoubtedly an excellent thing. With these things, however, it seems like they've trailed along unnoticed and that it is now mandatory that we not question anyone's right to "determine their own identity" without having ever really established why. So when talking to people, reading articles, and even, say The New York Times comment section, there's an overwhelming sense of bemusement as to "since when exactly did we decide this sort of thing was now normal?"

The difference being, that for gays we didn't 'determine our own identity'; we already had it (in that we loved other people of our gender) We were just banned from expressing it. The same is broadly true of women; women were only ever allowed to be what men determined women should be, but they were always women.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »

Truthfully?

I am not in a position to point at and categorise this woman. I would be interesting to understand the psychology behind people who feel this way, or people who bleach their skin, Japanese people who have their eyelids altered or even this Brazilian man who has altered himself to be Korean:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2645950/I-fun-bein-Korean-Blonde-Brazilian-man-undergoes-extraordinary-surgery-achieve-convincing-Oriental-look.html

There is legitimate interest here, without rushing to judge these things ethically. People have identity issues for a reason. While I find this 'strange', I'm in no place to determine it's legitimacy or otherwise.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »

Some are willing to die to tear down the immutability of morality and objective reality to establish a world where identity and truth exists from moment-to-moment on your own selfish feelings, whims, and wishes. They are not martyrs. They are extremists, and people are too afraid to offend anyone that they decide to placate them instead.

I really fail to understand how on earth transgendered people are selfish, or extremists. Or why on earth you're drawing a comparison. Or what you're getting out of doing so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies