Should there be a cap on hours worked per week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should there be a cap on hours worked per week?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Should there be a cap on hours worked per week?  (Read 2675 times)
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »

No, obviously there should be a plan worked out through employers, but there shouldn't be any laws limiting work hours. I don't see why people shouldn't have the freedom to work extra hours if they want to.

What you mean is: "I don't see why employers shouldn't have the right to demand extra hours from their employees if they want to", that's far more common than employees begging to work overtime (and even in that instance they are being forced to by the insufficiency of their low wage).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »

No, obviously there should be a plan worked out through employers, but there shouldn't be any laws limiting work hours. I don't see why people shouldn't have the freedom to work extra hours if they want to.

What you mean is: "I don't see why employers shouldn't have the right to demand extra hours from their employees if they want to", that's far more common than employees begging to work overtime (and even in that instance they are being forced to by the insufficiency of their low wage).

Well, I do see hourly employees begging for overtime. I have and would if permitted to in my current position. The issue is mostly with salaried employees.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »

What makes a wage "sufficient"? After all, there are many ways one could likely survive without modern or Western amenities. Albeit, they would be crude and uncomfortable lives, but confort is sibjective. Beyond a certain point, "sufficiency" is relative to one's aspirations, perceived earning potential, and overall life situation.

A sufficient wage is one that covers all housing, food, transportation and other life expenses of the employee—otherwise known as a living wage. What constitutes a living wage is calcuable, I personally believe that 15$ is an acceptable minimum.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »

What makes a wage "sufficient"? After all, there are many ways one could likely survive without modern or Western amenities. Albeit, they would be crude and uncomfortable lives, but confort is sibjective. Beyond a certain point, "sufficiency" is relative to one's aspirations, perceived earning potential, and overall life situation.

A sufficient wage is one that covers all housing, food, transportation and other life expenses of the employee—otherwise known as a living wage. What constitutes a living wage is calcuable, I personally believe that 15$ is an acceptable minimum.

'Round here that's barely cutting it.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »

Well, I do see hourly employees begging for overtime. I have and would if permitted to in my current position. The issue is mostly with salaried employees.

If the employees are begging to be worked, its because their wages are insufficient or, if you're a sadist, you might believe the paycheck to paycheck lifestyles of hourly workers are too decadent. Either way, letting people work themselves to death to make rent is hardly a solution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »

Obviously, a sensible minimum wage goes hand in hand with humane workweek limits.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »

I'm guessing you guys have never had to get a LOT of work done by Friday to ensure that the company's finances are accounted for on time, LOL.

If you don't want to work a lot, don't get a job that will have a lot of overtime hours.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 07:08:59 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2015, 07:10:44 PM by Mechaman »

I'm guessing you guys have never had to get a LOT of work done by Friday to ensure that the company's finances are accounted for on time, LOL.

If you don't want to work a lot, don't get a job that will have a lot of overtime hours.

(raises hand)

I'll probably get tarred and feathered here, but yeah I can't imagine that many things getting done at my job in a 30 hour workweek.  I believe something along the lines that Antonio V would be somewhat realistic (32 hour regular workweek, work cap at 48 hours), as at the end of the day even in those kind of jobs there comes a time when you just look at the Excel spreadsheet and say "this shit will still be here Monday morning" and call it a day.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »

If your company needs to overwork employees to balance its books, your comapny is either understaffed or being inefficiently managed—neither of which justifies demanding more from already beleaguered workers.

LOL at the idea that most worker's have the luxury to turn down/quit a job if they are unhappy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »

If your company needs to overwork employees to balance its books, your comapny is either understaffed or being inefficiently managed—neither of which justifies demanding more from already beleaguered workers.

Roll Eyes

And I used to think claims that leftists know nothing of business are overblown.

Your and TNF's stance implies that a) unexpected outcomes never happen, and b) that the training and extra staff required to meet hard hour caps have negligible cost.

How is this supposed to work under the left's system. If there is a large snowstorm, are the roads to go unplowed or is each city to hire and train dozens or even hundreds of extra snow plow drivers and have them sit on their butts all winter so they can spring into action for 3 hours to avoid the cap?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »

Look, I'm not some remorseless, cut-throat business-above-all-else finance jerk who sees no need for worker protection or wants to undo all of the post-Gilded Age advancements in workplace safety, employment regulations, etc. ... but it's not as simple as "things could be done in 30-hour work weeks, or it can wait until Monday."  For example, yes, I spent a huge portion of last Thursday (I took Friday off to travel) with nothing immediate to do, but I had to remain there because I had several rather important/urgent meetings I had to be a part of, and the only times we could get all of us together were several hours apart from each other.  And I'm not going to go home during those in between hours just to come back, and I'm certainly not going to stay there if I'm not being paid!
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 09:56:49 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2015, 09:58:30 PM by Orser67 »

Yeah, I'd legally cap it at 60. I also think anyone, including salaried workers, should get overtime when they work over 40 hours per week. Maybe you could let workers go over for a certain number of weeks (e.g. you could work 3 70 hour weeks per year) or in certain professions.

I think that work-life balance is a serious problem in the US. I don't know if a legal cap on hours is necessarily the best way to go, but we should be looking at solutions like it. I'd also support requiring all employees to take at least 10 days of vacation each year.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »

Roll Eyes

And I used to think claims that leftists know nothing of business are overblown.

Your and TNF's stance implies that a) unexpected outcomes never happen, and b) that the training and extra staff required to meet hard hour caps have negligible cost.

How is this supposed to work under the left's system. If there is a large snowstorm, are the roads to go unplowed or is each city to hire and train dozens or even hundreds of extra snow plow drivers and have them sit on their butts all winter so they can spring into action for 3 hours to avoid the cap?

a) Unexpected outcomes are a natural occurence—why should employers be able to exort more work out of the employees when unexpected occurence cut into the profit margin? Am I supposed to sympathize with a corporation who only profits 30% instead of 50% because they couldn't work the employees harder.

b) Costs associated with accommodating growth are also a natural occurrence, there's no justification for cheap skating and just demanding more of your current work force.

You're comparing emergency community services to for profit businesses?  Hardly fair, but to answer your question, socialized emergency services would be democratically managed, and so emergency scheduling would be decided by the workers.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 04:43:56 AM »

Well, considering this poll's results, the myth that Atlas is left-wing has been debunked for good.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 08:23:21 AM »

Roll Eyes

a) Unexpected outcomes are a natural occurence—why should employers be able to exort more work out of the employees when unexpected occurence cut into the profit margin? Am I supposed to sympathize with a corporation who only profits 30% instead of 50% because they couldn't work the employees harder.

b) Costs associated with accommodating growth are also a natural occurrence, there's no justification for cheap skating and just demanding more of your current work force.

You're comparing emergency community services to for profit businesses?  Hardly fair, but to answer your question, socialized emergency services would be democratically managed, and so emergency scheduling would be decided by the workers.

Lol. That's a lot of undue faith in the worker.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »

Wow, I never knew running a business and making huge profits was so easy!  Maybe I should start one and become a millionaire in my spare time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 03:05:32 AM »

Well, considering this poll's results, the myth that Atlas is left-wing has been debunked for good.
Only if you ignore all the evidence pointing in the other direction.

as for the OP, no.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 03:09:11 AM »

Is it left-wing to have a cap on hours? Now, I'd support a cap on hours that don't get you time and a half pay.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 03:57:07 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2015, 03:58:59 AM by Antonio V »

Of course it is, what's wrong with you people? Do you realize the 8-day workday was one of the first demands of organized labor?

The poll doesn't even specify where the cap should be said, so that means people voting no would be OK with 100, 120, 150-hours workweeks? Jesus.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 04:53:29 AM »

Of course it is, what's wrong with you people? Do you realize the 8-day workday was one of the first demands of organized labor?

The poll doesn't even specify where the cap should be said, so that means people voting no would be OK with 100, 120, 150-hours workweeks? Jesus.
Indeed, that sounds horrible.  But lots of things sound horrible that should be perfectly legal for people to do.  As long as there is no coercion, of course.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »

Indeed, that sounds horrible.  But lots of things sound horrible that should be perfectly legal for people to do.  As long as there is no coercion, of course.

So ... You're saying there should be a cap then?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »

You are aware that some people are cool with working much more than 40 hours a week?  I think they're crazy, but there shouldn't be a law to stop them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »

Libertarians are adorable...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »

Of course, the trouble without a cap is you can end up with nightmarish situations like Japan, where  basically the entire working population is "coerced" into completely useless and unproductive extra hours to prove themselves to their bosses, to the extent that it is becoming nigh impossible to raise a family and work normal hours.

This has lead to quite a bad situation. Can people not agree that a cap would be helpful in that situation?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »

I agree that there should be a legal cap on hours worked (but with some wiggle room), but I think this example are horrible. There are people out there who have to work as much as this guy just to survive, while he choose to work himself to death, with his skill set he could have easily have gotten a job, with a very good wage, where he didn't work himself to death. Other people are not so lucky. It's sad for this person, his friends and family, but he's not really the example I would use.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies