2024 United Nations Secretary-General Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 United Nations Secretary-General Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you want to win?
Hillary Clinton (SDP-USA)

Vladimir Putin (CTP-RUS)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: 2024 United Nations Secretary-General Election  (Read 8770 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:36 AM »
« edited: July 09, 2015, 12:08:25 AM by CrabCake »

The effect of local rivalries on a worldwide campaign would be awe-inspiring. I imagine most developing nation outfits would enthusiastically offer themselves up for the highest bidder for their own local machinations and games. By contrast most developed country parties would be uniform for SocDems - I can't see many European countries (Serbia excepted) where the Conservatives would be welcomed. I won't predict too much because it's your timeline, and you're doing a fine job. Smiley

The SE Asian results reflect a terrible strategy failure on the part of the Social Democrats. You would have thought they could have exploited regional fear towards key Conservative bulwark China! (talking of China, what's happening in Taiwan?). Of course, a party that puts the PM of Israel of all places on the ticket is obviously pretty pisspoor at strategy.

(also, lol JCL)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 05:56:45 AM »

Great timeline! Although why no ticket with Speaker Justin Amash and Prime Minister Boris Johnson?

I've often thought of doing something like this in President Forever, although it would take some time.

Of course, a party that puts the PM of Israel of all places on the ticket is obviously pretty pisspoor at strategy.

I would've had Matteo Renzi as Hillary's running-mate.

While I like the concept, I have problems with the plausibility of first, Hillary getting elected president and Libertarian Republicans (of which I happen to be) supporting repealing the Electoral College.

I'd support repeal, or at least major reform, of the Electoral College. It's a silly system. How can it be that the vote is 49.0% to 48.9%, but the person with 0.1% more gets 100% of the votes? It's irrepresentative. I'm libertarian because I think power comes from the individual, not the government, so I'd want to give the individual more power by making a more proportional voting system.

States like Texas and California would theoretically love it, because it would mean that candidates have to campaign there, and votes matter. However, Republican-controlled legislatures would never vote away their party's guaranteed EVs in favor of a more proportional, representative system (likewise for Democrat-controlled legislatures), and swing states would never vote away their influence on the final total.

My issue with this timeline is more with the Republican party. They nominate McCain, an establishment-hand-picked moderate, and he loses. They nominate Romney, an establishment-hand-picked moderate, and he loses. Then, in this timeline, they nominate Jeb, an establishment-hand-picked moderate, and he loses. If the party is still around by that point in 2020, they would not nominate Chris Christie.

But both of those issues are peripheral in this timeline, so it's silly to talk about.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies