SCOTUS opinion watch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:01:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  SCOTUS opinion watch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS opinion watch  (Read 7542 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: June 25, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »

Texas Housing case, written by Kennedy as expected. Kennedy in 5-4 decision joins the liberals. This is unexpected. The lower court is affirmed, and housing discrimination is an objective test. One looks to impact, not intent. So the next 2 or 3 opinions come from either Kennedy, Scalia or Roberts.

I know that this case isn't getting much attention, what with Obamacare hogging the limelight and all, but I for one am surprised and very pleased to see SCOTUS defend the principle of fair housing.

This particular DINO agrees with you. There should be zero tolerance when it comes to housing discrimination - Z-E-R-O.

It is not a question of tolerating housing discrimination. It is a question of if you assume an intent based only on a result.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:47 PM »

Kennedy's opinion made an excellent argument for gay marriage as being a good thing, while being generally respectful of the other side.

However, I was looking to be convinced by him that there was a Constitutional requirement for gay marriage to be recognized, and he didn't do it for me.   Roberts is right that he sidesteps the foundational question of how marriage is defined and who defines it. The dissents did a pretty good job I thought of arguing that the majority's opinion was based on a very far-reaching understanding of the Court's role when it comes to substantive due process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies