SCOTUS opinion watch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:31:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  SCOTUS opinion watch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS opinion watch  (Read 7539 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: June 23, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »

Sean Trende branches out from being an electoral statistician, to playing Supreme Court bingo. FWIW, his reading of the tea leaves is that the AZ commission is in deep trouble, even if the decision is written by Ginsburg.
Please stop linking trash from Sean Trende.

His analysis isn't very different than at ScotusBlog. Are they trash, too? Tongue
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »

Perhaps Scalia's dissent effectively morphs Pelosi's famous quote from "But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it," to "But we have to pass the bill so that SCOTUS can tell us what is in it." Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »

My crazy tea party relatives are saying Roberts was blackmailed into his decision.

What is he hiding in their minds?
I refuse to click the links, so I don't know exactly.

This is the one I got on Facebook though, feel free.

It looks like fairly standard conspiracy thoughts - conservatives hate Obamacare, conservatives have a court majority, Roberts is a conservative, Obama's agencies control all sorts of secrets on DC higher ups, Obamacare survives. Conclusion - Obama's agencies must have secrets on Roberts to force his hand.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »

ScotusBlog just announced four boxes today.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »

I found Roberts' SSM dissent interesting after his opinion on the ACA yesterday. He seems to have a very clear personal philosophy about what constitutes judicial activism. In King he goes on at length to say that the legislative intent as read in its voluminous text has more weight than the desire to reach a narrow textual conclusion based on a justice's desired outcome (observers have noted that one could find for either position by skillful use of limited parts of the text). In Obergefell he points at the intent of the legislatures and popular referendums of the states as the source of weight, not the philosophical desire of the justices. In the first case he ends up returning to an older style of statutory interpretation, but in the second case it causes him to decry a majority that returns to an older interpretation of substantive due process.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »

Muon, I think it's not surprising that a conservative justice thinks differently about the Constitution differently from a law passed a few years ago. 

The Obamacare case was about statutory interpretation.
The gay marriage case was about substantive due process and whether or not you view LGBT people as equal human beings.

In both cases he was writing in a way that seems to oppose to judicial activism by means of preserving the maximum role for the legislative process. After reading both opinions and the main dissents, I think he sees the whole question of judicial activism differently than his colleagues on either side. It seems like a blend of modern ideas and older ideas that had fallen out of favor, and clearly not the way Scalia sees it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies