SCOTUS opinion watch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:02:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  SCOTUS opinion watch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS opinion watch  (Read 7543 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »

If I understand Torie's analysis, Roberts' interpretation might be even better for the law's prospects than expected. If the majority opinion had been based on administrative interpretation, that would have meant that a Republican President could have reversed the policy at any time, and removed subsidies from federally run exchanges. Here, if I read it correctly, the SCOTUS is essentially saying that "subsidies for all" is the only valid interpretation. Fantastic news!

Also, it's great to see a ruling favorable to anti-discrimination policies. This court session is turning out pretty good so far.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »

It's funny how he didn't make a similar argument when striking down campaign finance regulations... Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:08:52 AM »

Kennedy's opinion made an excellent argument for gay marriage as being a good thing, while being generally respectful of the other side.

However, I was looking to be convinced by him that there was a Constitutional requirement for gay marriage to be recognized, and he didn't do it for me.   Roberts is right that he sidesteps the foundational question of how marriage is defined and who defines it. The dissents did a pretty good job I thought of arguing that the majority's opinion was based on a very far-reaching understanding of the Court's role when it comes to substantive due process.

I haven't read the opinions yet, but I get the same feeling. I'm really curious to see the detail of the arguments on both sides.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:36:58 AM »

YES!!! Democracy wins! Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length