Battle of the Prequel Trilogies: The Hobbit or Star Wars
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:43:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Battle of the Prequel Trilogies: The Hobbit or Star Wars
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is worse?
Star Wars Episodes I-III

The Hobbit

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Battle of the Prequel Trilogies: The Hobbit or Star Wars  (Read 1073 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »

Honestly, I have a hard time with this one. Both turned out to be very disappointing, and both for the reasons of:

- Underuse of Christopher Lee

- Erroneous call forwards that cheapen the trilogies succeeding them chronologically. (Padme's death in the Star Wars when Leia claimed to know their real mother, Gandalf warning Bilbo about the ring and Galadriel defeating Sauron)

- Shorcsy love-stories introduced in the second movie

- Laughably video game like battle sequences

- Questionable acting (Obvious underacting in Star Wars, and overacting in the Hobbit)

- Slow paced first two movies, and an out-control final movie

- Shorcsy second movies (Desolation of Smaug and Attack of the Clones are the worst. Phantom Menace had Darth Maul, and An Unexpected Journey had Gollum)

- A villain killed off at the beginning of movie three after barely having any time in movie two (Smaug and Darth Tyranus respectively)

- Green screen abuse instead of real locations.

While I'm sure I know where this'll go, the coincidences are still very startling, and both are just so...dismal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »

To be fair, Smaug got very little screen time in the original material either.  Also, IIRC Gandlaf warned Bilbo not to be too trusting of his ring in the original as well.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:51:05 AM »

Revenge of the Sith is a great film, so I have to give it up for Star Wars.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:31:04 AM »

Revenge of the Sith is a great film, so I have to give it up for Star Wars.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »

Revenge of the Sith is probably better than any Hobbit movie, but all 3 Hobbit movies are pretty good (not as much as LOTR obviously), so the Hobbit definitely wins on average.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »

wtf
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »

I haven't seen either trilogy in total.  But, come on, the Star Wars are legitimately terrible.  The Hobbit is boring and mediocre, but it's at least decent.  It has good acting performances, the dialogue makes sense, they're at least okay movies.

Star Wars Episode 1-3 are just awful.  The acting is trash, the dialogue is horrible, the script is shockingly bad, just all garbage.  The guy who plays Darth Vader is legitimately the worst actor of all time. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »

Star Wars was worse (yes, even Revenge) but The Hobbit offended me more because I'm very attached to its source material and, despite my skepticism about the project, hadn't imagined that it could be as bad as it was.

I agree with every word of this.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

Star Wars was worse (yes, even Revenge) but The Hobbit offended me more because I'm very attached to its source material and, despite my skepticism about the project, hadn't imagined that it could be as bad as it was.

I agree with every almost word of this.

I don't agree with Revenge of the Sith being worse, and there are a few things I would add such as:

- Bad Star Wars moments are delicious, bad Hobbit moments are sleep inducing.

- 1 minute of Darth Maul > all of Azog's ramblings.

- John Williams > Howard Shore

- The source material for The Hobbit was adapted far better in the 70's in just over an hour, which makes the trilogy even more insulting
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 01:25:49 PM »

I haven't seen either trilogy in total.  But, come on, the Star Wars are legitimately terrible.  The Hobbit is boring and mediocre, but it's at least decent.  It has good acting performances, the dialogue makes sense, they're at least okay movies.

Star Wars Episode 1-3 are just awful.  The acting is trash, the dialogue is horrible, the script is shockingly bad, just all garbage.  The guy who plays Darth Vader is legitimately the worst actor of all time. 
I feel like you're regurgitating what you've heard/read on the Internet. The Prequels were not great films by any stretch of imagination but we're still enjoyable.

The Phantom Menace suffers from a lack of a protagonist and an annoying 9 year old Anakin. There was also not enough of a focus on Obi-Wan or his relationship with the one who would become his apprentice. But it also had excellent performances on the part of Ewan McGregor & Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn. Darth Maul also had a terrific turn as a truly terrifying villain while also producing what was perhaps one of -if not the greatest- lightsaber duel in the entire saga with the Duel of the Fates. All in all, a mediocre go bad film.

The plot in Attack of the Clones simply dragged A LOT and the romantic sub-plot between Padme and the now whiny adolescent Anakin seemed forced and lukewarm. Hayden Christensen is not a bad actor, but a lot of the lines he was given and the part he was written made it nearly impossible for anyone to give a good performance in the role. The introduction of Christopher Lee and a possibly sympathetic antagonist coupled with the Battle of Geonosis and Yoda's first duel made the third act very enjoyable, but it is possibly the weakest film in the trilogy.

Now Revenge of the Sith was by far the greatest Prequel, and my favorite film behind ESB. The action sequences were all beautifully choreographed, from the Battle Above Coruscant to the Duel on Mustafar. And John Williams was in top form on the soundtrack, especially on Anakin's Betrayal and the Battle of the Heroes. Aside from a few lines of bad dialogue, this film was a beautiful peace of Sci-Fi cinema.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »

I'll be honest and put this out: Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie. Let the hate begin...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »

I'll be honest and put this out: Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie. Let the hate begin...

what the christ
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »

Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie so I would say the Hobbit is worse
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »

what the christ

Not that far out at all actually, the film's actually critically better received than even the original.

And on paper, it'd definitely has the best plot...the only real flaw is the direction and death of Padme.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »

what the christ

Not that far out at all actually, the film's actually critically better received than even the original.

And on paper, it'd definitely has the best plot...the only real flaw is the direction and death of Padme.

What? It wasn't well-reviewed. 

A few choice quotes from the New Yorker review:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These movies are terrible.  The characters are wooden and the plot stinks.  There is no arc to anything.  The dialogue is the worst ever.  There's no reason to care about anything or anyone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »

This thread is horrifying.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »

Both were so bad I could barely make it through one film.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »

The Hobbit was merely bland and offensively medicore, while the Star Wars plumbed depths.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »

The Hobbit was merely bland and offensively medicore, while the Star Wars plumbed depths.

So perhaps the Star Wars trilogy has more merit for swinging big and missing?
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »

You can never go wrong with Star Wars. But Lord of the Rings will be just as awesome.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies