National Parks Act of 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:31:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  National Parks Act of 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: National Parks Act of 2015  (Read 3949 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor - Talleyrand
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »

This is a pretty self-explanatory bill, trying to preserve some of the remaining areas of true wilderness in our country before it is too late and to add to our world-class national parks system. I welcome any suggestions or additions that people have for this too.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:08:33 AM »

e mentions "nearby farms and forests", will these property owns be compensated or have their land purchased from them? IF so, will $300 million be enough? Are there any other areas listed here that are presently inhabited?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »

As far as I know, that's the only one which is presently inhabited by people. I think you'd only need a fraction of the $300 million we're providing for upkeep to buy out some of those farms and forests from private owners.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:57:58 PM »

That amount of money sounds like it'd be enough . Will any action from the regions need to be taken on this?

Other than any technicalities, I love the idea of this and support it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »

Can we expand this into Alaska?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »

Of course!

That amount of money sounds like it'd be enough . Will any action from the regions need to be taken on this?

Other than any technicalities, I love the idea of this and support it.

I think that federal supremacy should prevail, though I'm not 100% sure.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »

I echo the comments of Senator Turkisblau. I like the idea and I will support this in the final vote.
However, there are still some technicalities (as the role of the regional governments) that should be made clear and I'd like to hear the other Senators on this matter.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »

I presume that if these areas are being National Parks, the federal government has authority over them. I support this bill and expanding it into Alaska.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »

The expansion of National Parks is something I've always supported.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »

I would assume the major impediment regarding a regiona level, would be if the region owns the land. In which case the the Federal gov't would have to in my opinion purchase the land from the regional gov't, unless I am mistaken on that part.

As to Alaska, there are large groups of indigenous populations, and this should be considered with the other areas as well if there are any Native American tribes on the proposed expansions of land. I noticed that some of them call for joint administration of the land with a native tribe. As it pertains to some of these tribes, the necessity of such differs but definately when it comes to Alaska the necessity of hunting and fishing for survival comes into play. I would presume if a hunting ground were made part of a national park, such activity would be banned.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »

I would assume the major impediment regarding a regiona level, would be if the region owns the land. In which case the the Federal gov't would have to in my opinion purchase the land from the regional gov't, unless I am mistaken on that part.

As to Alaska, there are large groups of indigenous populations, and this should be considered with the other areas as well if there are any Native American tribes on the proposed expansions of land. I noticed that some of them call for joint administration of the land with a native tribe. As it pertains to some of these tribes, the necessity of such differs but definately when it comes to Alaska the necessity of hunting and fishing for survival comes into play. I would presume if a hunting ground were made part of a national park, such activity would be banned.

Sorry for taking long to get back

I looked for some information on it, and it seems like there is some provision for hunting on national grounds

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.access

Currently the only off limits part is the Alaska National Wildlife refuge, and that's only 5% of Alaska. I'd be open to not necessarily making more parts in that, but just being able to protect the land from oil drilling and human expansion
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 01:43:28 AM »

As long as we are not slitting the throats of these populations when it comes to living a traditional lifestyle, then I wouldn't be opposed to declaring these areas national parks. For far too long and in far too many other areas be it development or the restricting of development, the loser on both sides of that equation of been Native American tribes and we need to pursue a balance when it comes to their continuance of their existing livelihood.

Since you brought it up, is there any oil production occuring in these areas currently and what would be the impact if that were to be halted?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »

As long as we are not slitting the throats of these populations when it comes to living a traditional lifestyle, then I wouldn't be opposed to declaring these areas national parks. For far too long and in far too many other areas be it development or the restricting of development, the loser on both sides of that equation of been Native American tribes and we need to pursue a balance when it comes to their continuance of their existing livelihood.

Since you brought it up, is there any oil production occuring in these areas currently and what would be the impact if that were to be halted?

I'm hoping to work with Secretary Barnes to get some native atlasian laws passed soon to improve that, because they get the bad end of the stick too much.

Alaska is divided into two well rather strange zones

The NPR is where they drill, the ANWR is where you can't drill oil. As you can guess there's been an effect to keep reducing this area to allow oil drilling. It's had a cross over effect though in Alaska as migrating birds have been harmed by the aircraft, and the pipeline has meant the 120,000 caribou can't move away-but we can't go lifting up the pipeline. I'd want to expand the Reserve to help biodiversity and local life improve in the area-rather than just drilling it to druge
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 01:12:10 AM »

How far would you expand it?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »

Sorry thought I posted my response on saturday Tongue I'll post my amendment later when I can get something good drafted
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »

As said above, I wanted to basically enshrine the weird semi-protection given in the 1980's, and basically ensure that oil drilling and other damaging practices can't be taken in the most beautiful parts of the world.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Blair's amendment.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »

I support the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »

How protective is semi-protective? I thought drilling was banned there already? And the Pacific region banned it also at one point.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 04:17:50 AM »

How protective is semi-protective? I thought drilling was banned there already? And the Pacific region banned it also at one point.

It's fairly complex, and a largely trival difference. They both ban oil drilling, but the the refuge isn't actually enshrined into law and is a sort of half way way house. At least in the US only congress can declare an area a wilderness
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:31 AM »

I see, think that handles all my questions then.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »

Destroying dams and drawing down reservoirs is not good policy in the arid west.  People rely on water from Lake Powell.  The west needs more dams, not fewer.  If California had built more reservoirs, they wouldn't be in quite the pickle they are now.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 02:24:51 AM »

Glen Canyon is a source of immense natural beauty and cultural heritage for many in our beautiful country. I will oppose any effort to alter section 6 of this legislation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwkqdQAztA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies