Opinion of this song ("thrash metal" content)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this song ("thrash metal" content)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this song ("thrash metal" content)
Freedom Song

Horrible Song

COMPLETELY UTTER FINKSING TRASH

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Opinion of this song ("thrash metal" content)  (Read 796 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2015, 11:46:10 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

This was posted elsewhere and is some of the most awful and utterly unlistenable garbage I've ever heard. I said give me some country...or hip-hop...or Disney Channel pop star crap over this garbage any day, it made me want to shove pencils in my ears. I mean f[inks], old style Metallica is even WORSE than I expected, which is saying a lot.

Let me put it this way: If anything that sounded like this was ever played at my hipster church, I'd walk straight out and find my way to the nearest Catholic Mass. Where was that worst songs of all time nomination thread? This needs an entry.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:49:41 PM »

FS (not BRTD)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:51:09 PM »

Pretty good tune. I like Metallica's early stuff.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »

I am now SOOOOOOO glad I've made it through 31 years of my life having only heard a handful of Metallica songs now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »

Pretty good tune. I like Metallica's early stuff.

What?! This song has about two minutes of pure pointless wankery until the actual song begins...and then there's zero payoff. Just grating annoying vocals and more of the same junk over and over. No sick breakdowns or mosh parts ANYWHERE. It's like listening to someone mow the lawn.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:07:24 AM »

Not great (I'm not a fan of the vocals), but not that bad, certainly not nearly bad enough to justify the Kill Bill sirens that it appears to have set off in BRTD's head.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 07:41:50 AM »

Meh, in BRTD's defense I was never really the biggest fan of Ride the Lightning as a whole.  While his observations are indeed extremely hyperbolic his points of criticism on "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is actually kind of valid.  Now sure, this is Metallica and a lot of proper Metallica songs don't begin until about a minute of playing or something, but I just found it to be a bit excessive for "Bell Tolls" for some reason and the overall musical timing seems weird for some reason.

As for the rest of the album?  Meh, there is something about the production that I am not just a huge fan of.  Tone sounds a little too "heavy" in some places (which I guess makes a lot of sense given the lyrical theme dominant throughout the album Tongue), though I'm not sure if that was just the production (Metallica didn't exactly have the best resources in their early career) or if there were a lot more parts I mistook for guitar playing that was actually Cliff Burton's bass playing.  I mean yeah, obviously I would prefer Ride over anything from the Load and Reload eras and after (I just could not get behind Death Magnetic, even if it was structurally a lot better than the preceding decade and a half), but next to the more "progressive" sound of Puppets (there is just something that sounds I dare say downright Floydian about the song structures and lyrical themes) the album seems to stand out like a sore thumb.  Really, the worst offenses of the first two Metallica albums are James's hoarse screaming, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that horrible (you don't exactly go into a thrash metal album expecting Rob Halford or Geoff Tate levels of vocalosity).  Far more forgivable than wtfness that was the Load-St. Anger era or the Rubinic production found on Death Magnetic (I don't dislike Rick Rubin, he's a mighty good producer, I just found his work on Magnetic to be a bit awkward).

Overally, probably a B on Bells Tolls.  Good riffs, nice dark and scary sounds, but jut a little bit too pretentious at some points.  If it was a school paper I'd probably give it an 87.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:45:27 AM »

As the one who posted it, FS.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »

Metal in general is bad, but since you don't like this song, FS.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »

Option three, but still no worse than the garbage you listen to.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »

FS
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »

I am now SOOOOOOO glad I've made it through 31 years of my life having only heard a handful of Metallica songs now.

Because by your own admission, you only listen to extremely specific subgenres of punk.

And Anyone who starts from the standpoint of "i only listen to/read/date/watch/talk to/eat X, the next words out of their mouth are going to be prime smug douche content. hence BRTD's posting history.

oh, and not their best work, but still definite fs.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 11:28:06 PM »

Plods along even by Metallica standards, but FS all the same. It's also not typically thrash, Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping Death are better examples of that from the same record.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »

Not big on Metallica, but not a bad song.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 03:38:53 PM »

Because by your own admission, you only listen to extremely specific subgenres of punk.

Not exactly, I do like some 90s alternative and grunge too. I like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, the first two Weezer albums and some more obscure 90s alternative bands.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »

Not exactly, I do like some 90s alternative and grunge too. I like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, the first two Weezer albums and some more obscure 90s alternative bands.

Wow! SUCH diversity !
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 03:05:46 AM »

Plods along even by Metallica standards, but FS all the same. It's also not typically thrash, Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping Death are better examples of that from the same record.

Speaking of Fight Fire With Fire, Vader somehow managed to beat the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-W05lNjztM
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies