South Bend Mayor Peter Buttigieg comes out as gay.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:22:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Bend Mayor Peter Buttigieg comes out as gay.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Bend Mayor Peter Buttigieg comes out as gay.  (Read 2735 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:44 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/south-bend-mayor-pete-buttigieg-gay-119073.html?hp=l3_4

U.S. Navy + Rhodes Scholar Cheesy
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »

Is that his real name?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:08:19 PM »

I do not understand why complete strangers have to announce this information to the world.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »

I do not understand why complete strangers have to announce this information to the world.

Because of contact theory and representation matters.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »

While I applaud his actions, I would have been more impressed if he had done it before the primary.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »

He was announcing it to his constituents, not the planet. It's part of who he is, his resume. Sure, it would be better, in a more perfect world, if he just mentioned it in passing, or had a partner whom he introduced.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »

You know, you talk about how you're not comfortable being gay more than people who are comfortable being gay talk about it. I have no idea why you have to announce this to the forum on almost a daily basis unless you're nothing but an attention seeking whiner.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:07:20 PM »

He was announcing it to his constituents, not the planet. It's part of who he is, his resume. Sure, it would be better, in a more perfect world, if he just mentioned it in passing, or had a partner whom he introduced.

You know something?.. I fully agree with you.

Problem is, the media would still do a fluff piece on him "coming out." Simply mentioning the fact that you have a same-sex partner is essentially a coming out story to the press
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:34 PM »

You know something?.. I fully agree with you.

Problem is, the media would still do a fluff piece on him "coming out." Simply mentioning the fact that you have a same-sex partner is essentially a coming out story to the press

And?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »

If there is to be a genuine equality, the sexuality has to be equal to heterosexuality.  That means not "congratulating" someone for something they didn't choose or can't control, or heralding the person for their non-choice.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:27:04 AM »

If there is to be a genuine equality, the sexuality has to be equal to heterosexuality.  That means not "congratulating" someone for something they didn't choose or can't control, or heralding the person for their non-choice.

But heterosexuality is assumed as the default and thus has an institutional cultural advantage. LGBT doesn't have that advantage, thus in an imperfect world, it doesn't have genuine equality and thus is noteworthy when it's announced.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 01:38:12 AM »

But heterosexuality is assumed as the default and thus has an institutional cultural advantage. LGBT doesn't have that advantage, thus in an imperfect world, it doesn't have genuine equality and thus is noteworthy when it's announced.

I'll surprise you, but I think it is true, that parents assuming their child is heterosexual automatically, is probably something that would be better as a society to happen less. 

But its not homophobia, it's assumption, and maybe it is institutional. But its not hate based.  It's happening less now than it ever has.

But, let's be real, coming out as gay is now a benefit to one's life/career, particularly for athletes.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:13:58 AM »

I'll surprise you, but I think it is true, that parents assuming their child is heterosexual automatically, is probably something that would be better as a society to happen less. 

But its not homophobia, it's assumption, and maybe it is institutional. But its not hate based.  It's happening less now than it ever has.

But, let's be real, coming out as gay is now a benefit to one's life/career, particularly for athletes.

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 03:19:14 AM »

Congrats to him! And yes, he's definitely going to run for Senator at minimum one day.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »

Congrats to him! And yes, he's definitely going to run for Senator at minimum one day.

it better be in another state if he expects to win.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »

If there is to be a genuine equality, the sexuality has to be equal to heterosexuality.

Yet you oppose equal marriage...
CountryClassSF

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »

Why do you "congratulate" people for their sexual habits?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »

True, look at how well Michael Sam's career took off after he came out.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »

True, look at how well Michael Sam's career took off after he came out.

And Jason Collins skyrocketed...

...right out the door.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »

Good for him. I disagree with his politics on a decent amount of issues, but he seems like a good guy. Thank you for serving in the military, Mr. Buttigieg.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »

We congragulate people for coming out of the closet for the courage to risk homophobia (especially for a politician), ostracism from family, friends, workmates, neighbors, etc., and above all their own willingness to accept themselves despite every sociatal pressure in the world telling them not to, so they can finally quit living a lie and instead live honestly.

take careful notes and learn something.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »

Remember when CountryClassSF was gay? I guess the person behind that sock forget that detail because even the most conservative of gays understand the risk involved in coming out.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »

We congragulate people for coming out of the closet for the courage to risk homophobia (especially for a politician), ostracism from family, friends, workmates, neighbors, etc., and above all their own willingness to accept themselves despite every sociatal pressure in the world telling them not to, so they can finally quit living a lie and instead live honestly.

take careful notes and learn something.

Exactly. Everyone deserves the chance to be comfortable in their own skin. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies