Opinion of Bronies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:19:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Bronies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Opinion of Bronies?
FFs

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Opinion of Bronies  (Read 6572 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

So, an opinion of adult people obsessing with some kids TV show is now an indication of being either "progressive" or "reactionary"?

Oh please, DO elaborate.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »

i support the abolition of gendered identity itself.
There is perhaps nothing more pathetic than a grown man watching a little girl's cartoon.

k

You're absolutely right to bring this up, because I honestly regret writing the latter. I can't take back what I said, but I will rephrase it to make it more reflective of the views I old concerning gender -

There is perhaps nothing more pathetic than adults watching children's cartoons.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »

If you really believe (and, sadly, it appears so) that an opinion of adult people obsessing over some kids show is an indicator of being either "progressive" or "regressive", then you are indeed the single dumbest person on the internet, bar none. Quite an accomplishment.

May God have mercy on your soul.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »

Reactionaries ≠ having taste
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »

There is perhaps nothing more pathetic than adults watching children's cartoons.

What exactly do you consider a "children's" cartoon? Would you consider it pathetic to watch animated films made by Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »

If you really believe (and, sadly, it appears so) that an opinion of adult people obsessing over some kids show is an indicator of being either "progressive" or "regressive", then you are indeed the single dumbest person on the internet, bar none. Quite an accomplishment.

What makes you reactionary is that you are basically advocating traditional gender roles here.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »

What makes you reactionary is that you are basically advocating traditional gender roles here.

I think adult men watching Teletubbies and Sesame Street is dumb too......
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 03:39:08 PM »

It's not so much the fact that they watch the show, it's the fact that they obsess over it to the point of lunacy.

Essentially this.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2015, 08:08:45 PM by L.D. Smith, Bay Area Conservadem »

It's not so much the fact that they watch the show, it's the fact that they obsess over it to the point of lunacy.

And that's why for this thread's purposes, I voted HP.

@TNF: So how do you explain Avatar: The Last Airbender? That's a show that was meant for kids, and yet it covered genocide, parental abuse and scarring, 1984-esque power plays [By Chiang Kai-Shek esque stand-ins no less], and what happens to those who become embittered by war that they become monstrous.

These are topics that any rational adult tend to appreciate in a story in a way you do not expect children to appreciate.

Naturally there is a huge adult demographic, and the favorite character of these grown people is a blind, 12 year old girl.

I'm fascinated by how you'll answer that.

@RFayette:

You mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0dbJj6x0eU&list=PL8TioFHubWFtTdaXU1amIZpOG5Ys9-w5O, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5MXQGhft4

this Sesame Street? XD

The first is out by Sesame Street itself, and the second is Christoph Waltz interpretation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 02:43:41 AM »

Another far-fetched connection made out of thin air?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »

@TNF: So how do you explain Avatar: The Last Airbender? That's a show that was meant for kids, and yet it covered genocide, parental abuse and scarring, 1984-esque power plays [By Chiang Kai-Shek esque stand-ins no less], and what happens to those who become embittered by war that they become monstrous.

These are topics that any rational adult tend to appreciate in a story in a way you do not expect children to appreciate.

Naturally there is a huge adult demographic, and the favorite character of these grown people is a blind, 12 year old girl.

I don't answer, because I don't give a sh**t.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »

Being anti-brony is a reactionary position based around support of traditional gender roles.
Leave
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »

There is perhaps nothing more pathetic than a grown man watching a little girl's cartoon.

Indeed it's almost as pathetic as being a Communist in this year of our Lord 2015
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »

Indeed it's almost as pathetic as being a Communist in this year of our Lord 2015

Yeah, having actual convictions (as opposed to subscribing to vague, cynical platitudes) is as pathetic as obsessing over cartoon ponies and using that to determine whether or not a person is 'progressive' or 'reactionary.' Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »

What exactly do you consider a "children's" cartoon? Would you consider it pathetic to watch animated films made by Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.?

You do realize the difference between "watching" and "enjoying" something and "obsessing" over it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »

I don't answer, because I don't give a sh**t.

Now that's a very mature attitude!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »

Adults watching children's cartoons is funny and weird. Only on Atlas would this be a controversial opinion that requires TNF to elaborate or justify himself.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »

Adults watching children's cartoons is funny and weird. Only on Atlas would this be a controversial opinion that requires TNF to elaborate or justify himself.

What is a "children's cartoon" though? MormDem was making the point that some cartoons can very well appeal to several audiences. It's a perfectly valid argument, and is widely acknowledged.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »

Does oakvale seriously think it's weird for adults to watch Pixar movies?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »

You do realize the difference between "watching" and "enjoying" something and "obsessing" over it?

Yes, obviously. But TNF didn't say anything about obsessing, his exact words were "There is perhaps nothing more pathetic than adults watching children's cartoons.".
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »

Yes, obviously. But TNF didn't say anything about obsessing, his exact words were "There is perhaps nothing more pathetic than adults watching children's cartoons.".

And this along with some other condescending comments confirm where his head has headed...Hint: It's the reason he couldn't give a crap to answer my question.

It has to be there to be that blind to the similarities to BRTD's l'il catchphrase regarding media that has been espoused thus far. So similar that only ONE word has to be changed.

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »

What is a "children's cartoon" though? MormDem was making the point that some cartoons can very well appeal to several audiences. It's a perfectly valid argument, and is widely acknowledged.
something marketed to children. which it obviously is. you can enjoy something without being defensive or a weirdo about it (not tumblr)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »

something marketed to children. which it obviously is. you can enjoy something without being defensive or a weirdo about it (not tumblr)

I agree (as I've said from the very beginning, read my first post), but that's not what Oakvale and TNF said.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 05:13:18 PM »

Only on Atlas would this be a controversial opinion that requires TNF to elaborate or justify himself.

Calling TNF a "reactionary" over MLP was so BRTD.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies