Democrats: do you forgive Hillary Clinton for voting for the Iraq War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:20:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats: do you forgive Hillary Clinton for voting for the Iraq War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Testing the Hillary Hatred here
Yes

No

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Democrats: do you forgive Hillary Clinton for voting for the Iraq War?  (Read 3189 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:42:22 AM »

Go!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »

Yes, the march to war inside Washington and Westminster was rather strong. In politics you're going to get it wrong, and I have more respect for her than John Kerry or Edwards who flipped on the issue
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »

No. She hasn't admitted that it was a mistake, has she?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »

Of course not, because she would make the same mistake again except in a different region.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »

Of course not, because she would make the same mistake again except in a different region.
Maybe even in the same region.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »

No. Not that I care much overall, but it's a bad decision she should be held accountable for.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:41:16 PM »

Exactly.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »

Exactly.

Is that really true?

For some reason, people view foreign policy through this dichotomous lens, either you're a dove or a hawk.

It's not that simple.  The Iraq War was a neo-con war in planning and execution.  Hillary Clinton is not a neo-con and it would be ridiculous to accuse her of being a neo-con.  She went along with the war, she didn't start it or cheerlead for it. 

Hillary Clinton is basically a pragmatic centrist on foreign policy like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.  The only way that we'll get neo-cons back in charge is if we elect a Republican like Scott Walker or Jeb Bush.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »

I know some people will take this as parsing, but she never voted "for the Iraq war", she voted for authorization for the use of force, as she made very clear at the time.

And she has admitted that even that was a mistake, yes.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »

Not a Democrat (and I voted accordingly), but I forgive everyone who voted for the Iraq War.  It was 12 years ago.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »

I'm not a Democrat, and I don't forgive anyone for voting for the Iraq War.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »

I know some people will take this as parsing, but she never voted "for the Iraq war", she voted for authorization for the use of force, as she made very clear at the time.

And she has admitted that even that was a mistake, yes.

any other position is untenable in the 2015 Democratic Party.  Hillary, John Kerry, everyone like that was just doing what they thought would be best for their careers.   occasionally you will get a true vampire like Lieberman -- within months he was hated by his own party.

she was a politician doing what politicians do.  if I got to set up an Iraq War Crimes tribunal (and then hand it over to the Iraqis, if they exist as a people anymore) that'd put GWB and Cheney and Rumsfeld away for life, I doubt I'd go so far as to charge any member of Congress who simply voted for the resolution.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2015, 07:06:20 PM by Frodo »

Yes -I have gotten over it.  And so should everyone else.  It's water under the bridge now that she admitted that it was a mistake.  The only people who don't are those with an axe to grind against her for other reasons. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »

No, of course not. Atlas Democrats only forgive Biden, Reid, Harkin, Kerry, etc.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »

Of course not. I might be a little more forgiving if she hadn't voted for the Iran war (good thing the Bush administration declined to take full advantage of Kyl-Lieberman) and hadn't supported arming the Syrian rebels who became ISIS.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »

Whether an Atlas Dem supports Hillary seems strongly linked to their position on this issue. As of right now, 21 of 36 atlas dems (58%) do NOT forgive Hillary for voting for the Iraq War. The exact same percent (58%) voted for Sanders in the mock South Carolina primary that was held in the 2016 board not too long ago.

Atlas Dems = Single Issue Primary Voters
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »

Whether an Atlas Dem supports Hillary seems strongly linked to their position on this issue. As of right now, 21 of 36 atlas dems (58%) do NOT forgive Hillary for voting for the Iraq War. The exact same percent (58%) voted for Sanders in the mock South Carolina primary that was held in the 2016 board not too long ago.

LOL, as if Hillary was terrible on only one issue.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 11:11:56 PM »

Sure I can, Bush and Co. lied through their teeth.

Nonetheless, I'm still gonna vote for the person who saw through the lie from the get-go first. Unless it were Cleland, since he knew it was it crap but voted just to try and stave off Chambliss.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »

Yes -I have gotten over it.  And so should everyone else.  It's water under the bridge now that she admitted that it was a mistake.  The only people who don't are those with an axe to grind against her for other reasons. 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »

I'll forgive her, but I won't forget. I don't always agree with Clinton on foreign policy, and it's not an unimportant issue to me. If she shows more poor judgment when it comes to foreign policy, perhaps I won't be so forgiving.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »

I don't put it in the category of "forgive" or "not forgive" since it wasn't a transgression against me.  I do think it showed incredibly poor judgement.  I realize this is going to sound all full of myself--sorry for that--, but I could tell at the time of the lead-up to war that it was smoke and mirrors.  No really convincing evidence was being presented about WMD and involvement with 9/11, just a lot of flimsy associations and blustery rhetoric.  And it's precisely when almost everyone is clamoring for one course of action that you want a leader to exercise their own judgment the most.  Her current admission that the vote was a mistake might resonate more with me if it was accompanied by 1.) a good plan about what to do now and 2.) a sense of how to prevent such mistakes in the future--both of which are very important given she wants to be president and not just a Senator with one vote.  For the most part, this is the only thing that makes me uneasy with HRC, actually.  The Iraq war, the whole of it, conducted by Bush and Obama, has been an unmitigated disaster for the Iraqi people, for the whole region, for our country's budget and standing and for what may unfold in the near future.  It was a colossal mistake, the ramifications of which we'll be living with of some time to come still.  It's not an issue I can just dismiss when I'm thinking about who to vote for.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 04:57:48 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2015, 05:14:49 AM by OC »

Yes, because our VP Biden voted for war too. Bush misused the war powers act, which clearly said, he must exhaust weapons inspection before boots on ground would be used.

He already sent soldiers over there and planned war, when he was told to back up inspectors with ground troops.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »

How can you come to that conclusion by only polling a single issue?
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 03:10:57 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies