What about "death"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What about "death"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does "death" bother you?
Yes, totally

Yes, but with exceptions

Only my own

Only of others that I care about

No

No, 'cause of reincarnation or afterlife

other answer/or writein

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What about "death"?  (Read 3331 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »

Yes, totally
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:37:24 AM »

While I’m relatively speaking, fit and healthy (and even when I'm not) dying bothers me, because it might hurt but death doesn’t bother me. I didn’t exist in any way, shape or form to experience 1982. If I don’t experience 2082 for the same reason then why should it concern me? Death is simply moving back into a state of non-existence.

Accustom yourself to the belief that death is of no concern to us, since all good an evil lie in sensation and sensation ends with death. Therefore the true belief that death is nothing to us makes a mortal life happy, not by adding to it infinite time, but by taking away the desire for immortality. For there is no reason why the man who is thoroughly assured that there is nothing to fear in death should find anything to fear in life. So, too, he is foolish who says that he fears death, not because it will be painful when it comes, but because the anticipation of it is painful; for that which is no burden when it is present gives pain to no purpose when it is anticipated. Death, the most dreaded of evil, is therefore of no concern to us; for while we exist death is not present and when death is present we no longer exist. It is therefore nothing either to the living or to the dead since it is not present to the living and the dead no longer are – Epicurus
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »

While I’m relatively speaking, fit and healthy (and even when I'm not) dying bothers me, because it might hurt but death doesn’t bother me. I didn’t exist in any way, shape or form to experience 1982. If I don’t experience 2082 for the same reason then why should it concern me? Death is simply moving back into a state of non-existence.

Accustom yourself to the belief that death is of no concern to us, since all good an evil lie in sensation and sensation ends with death. Therefore the true belief that death is nothing to us makes a mortal life happy, not by adding to it infinite time, but by taking away the desire for immortality. For there is no reason why the man who is thoroughly assured that there is nothing to fear in death should find anything to fear in life. So, too, he is foolish who says that he fears death, not because it will be painful when it comes, but because the anticipation of it is painful; for that which is no burden when it is present gives pain to no purpose when it is anticipated. Death, the most dreaded of evil, is therefore of no concern to us; for while we exist death is not present and when death is present we no longer exist. It is therefore nothing either to the living or to the dead since it is not present to the living and the dead no longer are – Epicurus

That only refers to one's own death. What about the death of others? It says nothing about that.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:52 AM »

I didn't vote. "Only my own and others I care about" should be an option; unlike afleitch, the fact that I wasn't around to experience 1982 does bother me when I consider all the possible missed experiences, and the fact that I may not experience 2082 also bothers me (and for the same reason).
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »

The deaths of others bother me of course.  One loses people one cherishes, of others whom one does not know but are valuable nonetheless, die, and that's always difficult.  My own death does not bother me in one respect but in another it does.  I'm not really afraid of being dead itself, since, as Andrew notes above, the complete lack of awareness or existence didn't bother me before I was born, so I don't anticipate it bothering me after I die--so to speak.  In another respect, my own death does bother me.  Apart from the process, which may be painful and prolonged or not--who knows?--what gets me about it the most is that it is just the end of all possible experiences, all joys and attachments and loves and new encounters with the world and all that.  Everything is closed off, whether it's resolved or not, and what may be new or renewed is made forever impossible.  That's what gets to me about the starkness of my own death.  Other people may regard it differently, of course.  But I don't believe in any afterlife, and it happens to all of us, so I can only accept it anyway.   It only underscores the importance of making life as good as one can while one is alive.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »

My own death? It is inevitable. We're finite. Earth is finite. I cannot say that it bothers me. I don't think about it, and I never really did. There is literally 0% that I can do about it. All I can do is make an attempt to prolong and enjoy life, as well as be healthy, fit, etc., and knowing that that is the utmost that I can do, I do it, and I don't let my own finitude bother me. I think a lot in terms of personal and professional goals too, so there's always something that I feel I have to look forward to or be preoccupied with as well.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »

It used to bother me, cause risk of stroke or heart attack was high during last century, and saw so many loved ones die that way.

But, risk has subsided to some degree, and a lot of people, are dying in sleep from old age.

I put no, due to the fact, plausability of reincarnation.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »

F#cking terrifies me, naturally. (normal)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »

(my own death bothers me), "but with exceptions"
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »

F#cking terrifies me, naturally. (normal)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 05:48:53 AM »

It is the pernament stage of sleeping. It doesnt terrify me, since I believe in reincarnation. It is going to happen, regardless, because we all get old.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 06:02:23 AM »

It is the pernament stage of sleeping. It doesnt terrify me, since I believe in reincarnation. It is going to happen, regardless, because we all get old.

While I don't believe in reincarnation, I have to admit that if there is some metaphysical component to ourselves that 'exists' beyond us, then I can understand the concept of reincarnation. I suppose much of this could be talked about in the thread devoted to souls.

Our understanding of metaphysical concepts tends to be guided by our physical experience and diagnosis of them. For example, no one can truly say that if there is a ‘soul’ left to itself then that it has quality ‘x’, because we have not met anything that is 'just a soul' by which to make any comparison. Every soul is bound to a physical person.

Knowing of birth and death and projecting onto that, the concept of souls inhabiting bodies , that we can deduce that souls inhabiting bodies is something that souls seem to do. Therefore it seems logical (not that metaphysics can ever be logical) that souls need bodies and perhaps by extension that bodies need souls. The idea of a ‘cyclical’ consciousness to me makes sense in that respect.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 06:42:36 AM »

Rituals after dying and religion has some degree in believing in supernatural. Reincarnation as well as Resurrection must be treated this way if one believes also in divine.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

Eternal life could be very boring.

When I miss someone I love, I miss this person because she is not with me. But when I pass away too and see her again in the other dimension forever, I might become tired to see her.
Some people might desire to live forever in order to see the evolution of the mankind in the far future. But when the mankind become extinct? When the Earth cease to exist? When the sun cease to exist? Specially after these events, eternal life would become really boring.

And what about the reincarnation, instead the monotheistic view of heaven?
Becoming a baby again, learning how to walk, how to speak, how to eat again, going to school again would become very boring.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 02:14:08 AM »

If it was for me, I would feel differently than if it was my loved ones. My own morality would be less heartbreaking for the people around me, for their morality. I dislike death, and always feel a little pain when it is talked about in a less than serious way. Anyways, I voted Yes, Totally.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »

I've been thinking of the notion of "reincarnation" lately.  I have to teach about theories of rebirth a lot, for one, but I also read a lot about science.  It seems to me that, even if the ancients may have been wrong about rebirth, either in the "Hindu"/Jaina sense of a soul being incarnated in a series of bodies or in the Buddhist version of the karmic legacy causing future births despite the fact that there is no such thing as a soul, there is one sense in which the idea may be, in a specifically different way, plausible.  The elements, the molecules that make up our bodies have been around for eons.  A fairly large number of the atoms and molecular structures making up my body have been components of the bodies of many living beings before me.  They recycle through the environment as the result of various kinds of transport, consumption, absorption and reabsorption, ect.  When I die, in one way or another, many of these atoms and molecules will help to constitute the bodies of new living beings in future generations.  It is not any soul or any karmically derivative persona that survives my death, but many of my physical constituents will reside in the bodies of living beings again.  (This is closer to, though certainly not identical with, the Buddhist notion of rebirth than the others.)  This particular construal of "life after death" is surely not the one that ancient and modern religions enshrine in their hopes.  But the notion that individual death is not an absolute end of what we really are is not radically wrong.  It's just that what survives of us are physical components that can inhabit living bodies again.  That may not be what we want, what we dream of, out of eternity.  But it's not nothing either. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »

it reminds me, actually, of the old Zen saw about the two monks standing at the edge of the world.  One monk is looking at everything going on there and weeping.  The second monk asks: "why do you weep?"  The first says: "look at that terrible place!  They're all eating each other."  "Oh," the second monk says, "don't feel so bad.  They're feeding each other."
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »

he elements, the molecules that make up our bodies have been around for eons.  A fairly large number of the atoms and molecular structures making up my body have been components of the bodies of many living beings before me.  They recycle through the environment as the result of various kinds of transport, consumption, absorption and reabsorption, ect.  When I die, in one way or another, many of these atoms and molecules will help to constitute the bodies of new living beings in future generations. 

That's where I find comfort through death. My body will breakdown and provide food for plants an animals, just as I ate them. We all share the same base atoms as things living and non living in this planet, in this solar system and even with the sun. And the sun is here because other stars died. That's where beauty, for me lies (if I can 'worship' anything in any meaningful sense, it's the sun).

It's aesthetic, poetic and in many ways 'just', but it's scientific too. And I am fine with that. I have no right to wish to escape that, or ascend it. I'm just a human. We only think of ourselves as special; the universe does not.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »

No.  In the words of Charles Dickens: "it is a far, far better place I go to than I have ever known."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »

Death comes to everyone, but with advancing technology, and medicine, and knowledge of dangers of alcohol and illegal meds, we are all living our max lifespans, and major strokes or heart problems that fell on our ancestors are being alleviated.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 12:31:59 PM »

No; having been dead once already, there are no surprises.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »

I have a LOT of death anxiety.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 09:00:45 AM »

Alot of the disbelief in religion now has to do with the Rapture, that's why aRekigion is becoming more secularized the whole promise of Christ was that he would return and end death, it's gonna happen whether we want it or not but are there fatal heart attacks or stroke or you are just gonna drop dead was due to our ancestors because of lack of modern meds.

So, we don't know how we are gonna due, but dropping dead immediately has been eliminated

Why fear death unless you stop going to Doctor or have terminal illness you are gonna die but it's futurist, stop worrying about it unless you have AIDs or you stop going to Doctor that's the only way you are gonna die and people don't just drop dead in their sleep anymore

My uncle's took alcohol and drugs and feel asleep and died, who does that nowadays

Queen Elizabeth and Prez Carter were supposed to have died already they are still here
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2022, 05:46:57 PM »

That's a problem I prefer leaving to older me to think with. I won't gain anything by worrying about it now, although it can't be helped in some sleepless nights.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 01:44:45 AM »

You’ll just ascend to the spirit realm bro

Learn the secrets of the world

Have fun
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »