is "zero hour contract" in the UK synonymous with "at-will employment" in the US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:14:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  is "zero hour contract" in the UK synonymous with "at-will employment" in the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is "zero hour contract" in the UK synonymous with "at-will employment" in the US  (Read 660 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »

is "zero hour contract" in the UK synonymous with "at-will employment" in the US?

I have slight trouble grasping exactly what a zero-hour contract is.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »

It's when your employer can has full discretion over how many paid hours you work. So, if it's a caterer, they can only employ you for ten hours a week if they want to (or for that matter, no hours a week). This is pretty bad, especially when they come coupled with exclusivity clauses preventing you seeking work elsewhere. That means, if you cannot get enough hours in to make a living wage, you are in a bind.

Basically it's just an ephemeral job.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »

It's when your employer can has full discretion over how many paid hours you work. So, if it's a caterer, they can only employ you for ten hours a week if they want to (or for that matter, no hours a week). This is pretty bad, especially when they come coupled with exclusivity clauses preventing you seeking work elsewhere. That means, if you cannot get enough hours in to make a living wage, you are in a bind.

Basically it's just an ephemeral job.

That's pretty crazy, worse than anything we have in America that I know of. We have jobs that may not give your hours but they don't make you go exclusive.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:18:14 PM »

Although to be fair, the exclusivity clause was banned by Vince Cable in the bum end of the coalition government. Should have mentioned that it was basically a loophole.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:27 AM »

It's when your employer can has full discretion over how many paid hours you work. So, if it's a caterer, they can only employ you for ten hours a week if they want to (or for that matter, no hours a week).

Yep, commonly used in catering and the care industry; it's something that UNISON (the trade union I belong to) are particularly keen on getting under control.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »

An exclusivity clause for a catering job is just bizarre. The only jobs in the US that have anything like that are doctors and jobs that give you access to very sensitive corporate information.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »

An exclusivity clause for a catering job is just bizarre. The only jobs in the US that have anything like that are doctors and jobs that give you access to very sensitive corporate information.

Not true. Wal-Mart made me sign an exclusivity clause when I worked there. I broke that, obviously, but it's the principle of the thing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies