Do you ever have weird personal feelings of irrendentism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:56:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Do you ever have weird personal feelings of irrendentism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you ever have weird personal feelings of irrendentism?  (Read 5729 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: June 17, 2015, 06:06:30 PM »

That's weird. Constantinople fell in 1453, long time before the current Greek state was created. Before 1923 and even after (until some 'pogroms' in the 50s) there was a sizable Greek minority in that city, but it has had a Turkish majority for centuries. Nowadays there are about 2 thousand Greeks living there and the population of Istanbul exceeds 12 million. On the other hand, the outcome of the Greek-Turkish war is a clear example of how irredentist dreams usually end in nightmare. In other words, the imprudence of Greek nationalists ended in a bloodbath and with the deportation of their compatriots from Western Anatolia. Look at the former Yugoslavia: Serbian irredentists ultimately achieved that the Krajina was cleaned up of Serbians.  

I, actually, met an Istanbul Greek guy this year (and not even in Istanbul, but in the US). It was almost as staggering, as if I met a live Neanderthal. Or a dodo.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »

Well, for me it is not weird but my position in Chinese politics is a return China's boundaries to the official ROC position

Which should be implemented once the illegal PRC regime is overthrown and the rightful Chinese government of ROC is restored on Mainland China.  I actually back PRC on an issue by issue basis but does not take away from my view that they are an illegal government.

Dare making this point in Ulan Bator?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies