Do you ever have weird personal feelings of irrendentism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:58:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Do you ever have weird personal feelings of irrendentism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you ever have weird personal feelings of irrendentism?  (Read 5763 times)
retromike22
United States

« on: June 17, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Irredentism

Have you ever had a strange feeling that the maps of countries are somehow not quite what you would like them to be, and that the borders should be slightly different? I'm not talking about a political belief that the borders should be changed, rather just things that have always stuck out to you as odd.

I'll give a few examples.

1. It has always bothered me that Istanbul is not called Constantinople and furthermore not part of Greece. This is despite the fact that the population transfer after the Greek-Turkish War homogenized most of the population in both regions.

2. I still feel that Poland took too much of Germany's land after WWII. Again, the same situation with the population transfer.

In both cases it would be completely unrealistic and problematic to make these changes, but somehow, for some reason it stands out to me as being incorrect. There's a word for this feeling, but I can't find online, where you have a feeling because of an ancestor's experience, and somehow it got implanted in your unconscious.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »

Another one is I wish Austria still had access to the Adriatic sea.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies