Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:26:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Old, Dead, Irrelevant ITL (Do not use)  (Read 14958 times)
AelroseB

« on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
« edited: June 18, 2015, 12:42:20 PM by AelroseB »

Webb's In!

June 17th.  Arlington, Virginia:

My friends, it's been a long time since we've last spoken.  In this country, we've seen a rise in vagrancy, degeneracy, and a simple disrespect for the law of the land.  The Democratic Ideal has been disrupted by a vanguard of neo-liberals, whilst rabid conservatism--left unrestrained by its vociferous facilitators--has usurped the very dignity of American government.  We must recognize the evils of anarchism left unchecked, as it has been in Baltimore, Ferguson, and around the globe.  Our partisan leaders have forsaken Constitutionalism for their own misguided desires.  Our youths have been weakened by a standardized, on-size-fits-all mentality in our educational system.

For these reasons, I announce that a needed change is coming.  Today, I announce that I'm running for the Presidency of the United States.

Now, other Democrats who will seek to take the standard of our party have their flaws.  You will see failed bureaucrats, radical extremists, and even party-switchers seek to win this nomination.  I'd ask you to look towards an alternative--someone who has consistently served in this party, who has tirelessly worked towards bipartisan throughout his career, and who will put the people at his first priority.

At this pivotal hour, we must utilize the entirety of our willpower, and resolve ourselves to swing the pendulum back into our favor.  The state of the world, in which radicalism props up its head across the breadth of each and every nation, necessitates immediate action for equally pressing demands.  The duty of  all citizenry needs be to strive towards the fruition of their own value in the community.  

It is imperative that we take the fight to those aggressors around the world--ISIS, the far-right, and the far-left--lest they consume all Western Civilization.  Only a strong military policy, matched by an equally-powerful state, can prevent our own demise.

On my first day as President, I would send a request to Congress to expand military airstrikes against ISIS seven-fold, so that we may assuage the fears of the common denizen of the Middle East, opening free markets and free democracies around the globe.  However, like with Iraq, we must be wary in meeting this new conflict.  The Middle East is its own Province, and boots on the ground would only lead to a second Iraq.

A Webb administration would see tighter gun regulation upon criminals and the mentally disabled, while ensuring that capable, law-abiding Americans have their Constitutional rights preserved.

It is the sacred Province of government to care and collect for every American, great and small, regardless of race, religion, creed, or identity.  We must expand Medicaid and Medicare, and ensure the perpetual longevity of the Affordable Care Act, or we will find ourselves reduced to the nothingness  of a Libertarian's anarchy.  It is essential for us to rededicate our commitment to welfare for the well-being of all Americans.

Only a strong regulatory arm of government can impede the insatiable demands of the corporate machine.  We, the common people, are that arm.  We are that means to the redemption of the United States.

I hope to lead that charge.

As President, I would work tirelessly to prevent the savage growth in racial tension, crony capitalism, and insecurity that we have seen since the dawn of the Modern Era.  Ours is a righteous cause, under which we shall be united for all years to come.

For too long, our nation has been subject to the arbitrary whims of oil barons and coal moguls, men who usurp the rights of their workers, making them all the more dependent upon corporate mercy.  Today, that ends.  We must fight for regulation in the fossil fuels industry while simultaneously reaching out for clean alternatives, from  Appalachia to the Pacific Northwest, and from the Rust Belt to the Sun Belt.

It is our imperative to teach unto every student's ability, and destroy Common Core.  We must fight any aggressor who dares assault the American people and invest in a smart military, promoting merit over seniority.  We must revoke any call for either immorality or apathy by striving for a middle ground in the social sphere.  We  must preserve the rights of our gay and lesbian friends through civil unions, while not undermining the sensibilities of our Christian brethren.  We must fights drugs and violence in our youth culture while working to reform, rather than brutally execute, prisoners.  We must work collectively to defend the poor against the rich, oligarchic few who seek to demean our nation through a scaled income tax and a revitalization of Dodd-Frank.

As a former Senator, I know the evils of the Washington machine; I have faced that Leviathan.  But let me tell you something:  When we, the people, are amalgamated into one great union, we can do no wrong and we will succeed.  That is the communitarian ideal.

We must work to fully realize  the American Dream.  Yet this is something that we can only do united, as a single society.

Thus, I say "E Pluribus Unum."  Out of many people, one nation; out of many households, one community; out of many dreams, one destiny.

Thank you.   
AelroseB

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »

OTL: I suggest that you put an actual time limit on the sign-up, OP.
AelroseB

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »

Actually, scratch me off. I'll be busy next days Sad

BREAKING NEWS: FORMER GOVERNOR PATAKI KILLED IN PLANE CRASH

According to recent reports, Former Governor George Pataki of New York has been killed in a plane crash that occurred late last evening. Pataki, who was widely expected to run as a candidate for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, was reportedly flying in a private jet in order to deliver his announcement speech in Manchester, New Hampshire when an engine malfunction caused the plane to crash into a field in rural eastern Vermont. According to a medical examination conducted shortly after the plane wreckage was found, Pataki, along with his wife, the plane's pilot, and three other passengers, were killed on impact. In a statement issued soon after the initial announcement of the former governor's death, current New York Governor Andrew Cuomo stated "the news of Governor Pataki's tragic death saddens us all. While Governor Pataki and I might have had our differences when it came to political matters, George and I have always been close friends on a personal level and I am devastated to learn of this awful news."

In a press conference today, former Senator James Webb promulgated his sorrow for the events in Vermont:

"I was tremendously disheartened to hear of Governor Pataki's death.  Throughout his tenure, he stood as an unwavering pinnacle of law and order, of executive responsibility, and of care for all his constituents.  In the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the Governor held together his fractured state, and his courage was representative of the people of New York during that time.  His loss is America's loss in turn.  For that, we cherish his memory."
AelroseB

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »

Yeah, it's been half a month...
AelroseB

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »

I am hyped!
AelroseB

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

I'd like to use 3 PCP's in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee each, 10 PCP's in Texas and 3 NCP's in Texas against Clinton.  Additionally, 2 PCP's in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Finally, 1 PCP each in Indiana, Puerto Rico, Iowa, and New Hampshire.
Also, you gave me 5 extra credit CP's for bringing Beaver2.0, as well as 3 for my eulogy for Pataki  Cry .  So, 38 in total if my arithmetic is correct.

General Questions:

1.  We can make extra speeches/campaign posts for fun, right?

2.  Can there be negative CP's, due to extensive NCP's used against you?

Also can I make up my staff, and give them fake backstories?
AelroseB

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »

I'd like to use 3 PCP's in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee each, 10 PCP's in Texas and 3 NCP's in Texas against Clinton.  Additionally, 2 PCP's in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Finally, 1 PCP each in Indiana, Puerto Rico, Iowa, and New Hampshire.
Also, you gave me 5 extra credit CP's for bringing Beaver2.0, as well as 3 for my eulogy for Pataki  Cry .  So, 38 in total if my arithmetic is correct.

General Questions:

1.  We can make extra speeches/campaign posts for fun, right?

2.  Can there be negative CP's, due to extensive NCP's used against you?

Also can I make up my staff, and give them fake backstories?

Smiley

Thanks for being the first to post your allocations! I'm pretty sure that you did the arithmetic correctly (I'll check for sure when I calculate the Round 2 allocations at the end of the 48 hours) and yes, you can do extra speeches and campaign posts if you would like, though they will no longer be worth any extra CPs.

If enough NCPs are used against you, you can have a negative net total of CPs (e.g. if 10000 NCPs are used against a candidate that candidate will be in the negatives in that state).

You may create fictional staffers and talk about them if you so choose (I put that in bold so everyone will see it).

Thanks! Cheesy And feel free to ask any more questions.

Great to know, thanks!
AelroseB

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »

Jim Webb Outlines Foreign Policy Credentials in Houston Speech

The Houston Chronicle

Dan Fullerton - July 7th, 2015

Earlier today, Democratic presidential contender James Webb of Virginia spoke about his foreign policy vision for America ahead of the Democratic Primaries.  Generally, he advocated for something akin to watchful-doveishness:  A dutiful commitment to military spending while attempting to avoid as many foreign conflicts as possible.

"I've always admired Teddy Roosevelt's grand ideal, 'speaking softly while carrying a big stick.'  It's times like this which makes a man like myself question the isolationism of neoliberals and the unfettered hawkishness of so-called conservative Republican candidates, who seem more fit to elect Curtis Lemay as their President."  Webb told a crowd of over 4,000.

A large portion of the speech reflected on his own experience in the armed forces:

"Now I have to admit it--unlike my opponents, I haven't ordered a war.  No, I've served in war.  I've seen it firsthand.  We need to avoid it through strength and strength alone."

Webb touted his time as a marine, and he chided politicos like Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush for their support for the Iraq War.

"I consistently stated my opposition to military intervention in Iraq," Webb told the crowd.  "I understand what it means to have sufficient cause, and in 2003, there was no casus belli."

This speech was part of a recent trend in the Webb campaign, stressing the differences between him and other opponents, both inside and out the Democratic Primary.

He heads on to Raleigh, North Carolina next week.
AelroseB

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2015, 04:43:17 PM by AelroseB »

I would support the change, but I will be taking two week long hiatus from the 19th to the 31st.  Since regular campaign timelines go on for months, I don't think it would work out for me.  :/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies