Paul's New Tax Plan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:04:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Paul's New Tax Plan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paul's New Tax Plan  (Read 2480 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 17, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »

Libertarian leaning candidate proposes ludicrous flat tax, news at 11!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »

Why is anyone treating this remotely seriously? It's obvious to anyone with basic math skills that this would never bring in enough tax revenue to even fund a seriously stripped down version of the federal government, which is already pretty streamlined and can't really shed more jobs unless you just start destroying whole departments, which no one wants. The unemployment among government workers and federal contractors that this would cause would be catastrophic for the economy, and I doubt we would even get to the point where Rand and other libertarians dubiously believe we'll have RECORD ECONOMIC GROWTH. All in all it's pretty stupid, just like every other stupid flat tax proposal.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:52:49 AM »

Ebsy, it is pathetically sad that you think the government is "streamlined". It is a monstrosity that will NEVER get smaller as long as we have folks like you out there who are terrified of free men and women leading their own economic lives.
Why would the federal government get smaller even as the population increases? Employment in the Federal Government (Including the military) has fluctuated around 4,200,000 since 1997. The population, however, has gone from around 270,000,000 in 1997 to 320,000,000 in 2014(census estimates). If you just count people in the executive branch, the "monstrous" part of the federal government, there are about 120 people to every executive branch employee in this country, which isn't ridiculous at all. But you can't see beyond your inane contempt for government, so I don't even know why I am trying to explain something as simple as the size of the federal government to you.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »

If I hated rich people, I would have wanted Congress to nationalize all the banks during the financial crisis while wiping out all of the shareholders. That would have done far more to harm the rich than a progressive tax code.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:09:05 AM »

It's a good thing we don't craft policy around your feelings Free Bird. Also, the personal income tax brings in way, way, way more than $152 million, more like 1.4 trillion dollars, or just under half of all taxes collected by the federal government. You could never raise enough money from capital gains taxes to offset the losses from eliminating the personal income tax. Like, I don't even really know what to say beyond that other than asking if you and I are living in the same universe.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »

Sounds great, however the next thing he needs to do is specify what he'll cut as President. He can't just eliminate the FICA taxes and implement a flat tax while keeping the huge amount of government spending we have.
He's already released that plan since like 2011. He said he would cut spending from everywhere. It's also better to avoid talking about spending cuts until after he gets elected
LMAO
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies