The new ten dollar bill to have a woman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The new ten dollar bill to have a woman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The new ten dollar bill to have a woman  (Read 11332 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »

Hamilton should stay on the 10. Jackson should be replaced. Not by a woman but by James Madison.

Why should it be James Madison as oppose to a woman who has done far more for the nation?
I want a woman as much as anyone else, but don't diminish the importance of Madison.  He helped write the document which this nation's government and politicos is built on.  Should he be on money, yes, but put him on the 50.  I understand the point you were trying to make, but you did it in a bad way.

Madison, if anything, should be on Canadian money.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »

Madison already has a denomination as he's on the $5000 bill.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2016, 12:20:28 AM »

I am bringing this back from the dead for an update.  Hamilton is saved (by a musical), and Jackson is out (but not until 2030)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/16/news/economy/jack-lew-hamilton-10-bill/index.html
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:04 AM »

FF decision to keep Hamilton and ditch Jackson, but they seriously couldn't do it earlier than 2030?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »

Well as I noted months ago in this thread, the process for changing currency is very slow and the schedule was laid out long ago.  The $10 was set to be next and the $20 wasn't set for a while. The whole woman on the $20 movement didn't seem to be aware of this and so while it can be argued they succeeded in getting a woman on the $20, Treasury isn't going to change their schedule or rush out a new $20 because of a hashtag campaign.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »

It's really bizarre why they wanted to change the 10 in the first place.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »

In all seriousness, who are the women who are worthy of money? I find it difficult to really even find men who are worthy of currency except those already on it. Susan B. Anthony has been on money for damn near 40 years.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2016, 07:28:58 AM »

I get the appeal of having a woman on our money, but why get rid of Hamilton?  He was a crucial figure in the early years of our government.  He opposed slavery, was the first Treasury Secretary, and fought to ratify the Constitution.

And as awful as Jackson was, I see no reason to remove him from the $20 bill.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

If we're going to have a woman on the $20, why not make it Margaret Chase Smith?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2016, 07:40:01 AM »

If we're going to have a woman on the $20, why not make it Margaret Chase Smith?

It rang a bell, but I still had to google her name. See what I mean? If I'm not familiar, are these people (regardless of gender) really worthy of money?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2016, 07:53:17 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2016, 10:14:29 AM by Mr. Morden »

It rang a bell, but I still had to google her name. See what I mean? If I'm not familiar, are these people (regardless of gender) really worthy of money?

Your personal familiarity is the standard by which we should decide who goes on money?  So does that mean that you support putting this guy on the $50?:

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »

When the question was asked at the GOP debate, that was the first name that came to mind for me. She's widely admired by members of both parties and is worthy of the honor.

With that being said, Jackson is a hero to me and many others and I'll be very sad to see him go.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »

Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks names have both been floated as favorites. Also it sounds like MLK's I have a dream speech or another even at the Lincoln Memorial might be added to the back of the $5.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2016, 04:45:20 PM »

Eh, not thrilled with any of the choices, so write in for Rachel Carson (assuming that a female is required). But overall, I absolutely think a lot of these (save maybe Washington) need to be updated.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »

How about Lena Dunham?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »

Madison, if anything, should be on Canadian money.
He's too good for us.

In all seriousness, Dolley Madison or Margaret Chase Smith seems like a great idea. Maybe Jacqueline Kennedy or Betty Ford if we need a more famous person.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »

In all seriousness, who are the women who are worthy of money? I find it difficult to really even find men who are worthy of currency except those already on it. Susan B. Anthony has been on money for damn near 40 years.

The Republic of Venice banned the practice of putting the faces of Doges on coins because they believed it to be in violation of republican values and encouraged autocratic behavior from their rulers.

I believe there were several riots over the practice some time in the early modern period that prevented a dead Doge's image from being put into circulation.

Naturally I feel the same way towards our money. No people, put images on instead.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »

The Republic of Venice banned the practice of putting the faces of Doges on coins because they believed it to be in violation of republican values and encouraged autocratic behavior from their rulers.

I believe there were several riots over the practice some time in the early modern period that prevented a dead Doge's image from being put into circulation.

Naturally I feel the same way towards our money. No people, put images on instead.

Similar thouts kept individuals off of our coinage until 1892 when the Columbus commemorative half dollar was minted.

But postage stamps and paper money were never held to the same standard of gravitas, probably because of their inherent impermanency.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »

Glad they are keeping Hamilton, maybe they should get rid of Jackson. I am not against the idea of a woman, but I don't know I am sold on any particular woman. As heroic as she was, I can't say I'd be really excited to walk around with Harriet Tubman money.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2016, 12:29:58 AM »

They should just put a woman on every bill, and print 50% woman, 50% man. Maybe dump Jackson entirely though, dude was a major HP.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2016, 01:09:37 AM »

I get the appeal of having a woman on our money, but why get rid of Hamilton?  He was a crucial figure in the early years of our government.  He opposed slavery, was the first Treasury Secretary, and fought to ratify the Constitution.

The $10 was just the next bill up for redesign at the time this campaign materialized. I don't think the proponents ever had any anti-Hamilton agenda.

And as awful as Jackson was, I see no reason to remove him from the $20 bill.

Well if you want to put a woman on existing currency, someone kind of has to get bumped off, and Andrew Jackson's ghost is the one who will be least bothered by the change. Also, as you point out, he was indeed awful.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2016, 01:33:35 AM »

Parks or Tubman would be great.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2016, 01:50:10 AM »

All that I'm happy with is that Hamilton's not in the currency.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2016, 07:05:15 AM »

I would imagine a lot of people don't recognize some of the people on our money.  They probably assume that Hamilton and Franklin are both "dead presidents", even though neither one of them ever WAS president.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »

Glad they are keeping Hamilton, maybe they should get rid of Jackson. I am not against the idea of a woman, but I don't know I am sold on any particular woman. As heroic as she was, I can't say I'd be really excited to walk around with Harriet Tubman money.

How about putting Obama on the 20?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies