The new ten dollar bill to have a woman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:33:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The new ten dollar bill to have a woman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The new ten dollar bill to have a woman  (Read 11427 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 02:25:11 AM »

RINO Tongue
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 07:25:22 AM »

Maybe the new ten dollar bill's going to feature Alexander Hamilton and James Reynolds' wife?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 08:15:21 AM »

So people want to get rid of Jackson, so we're getting rid of Hamilton?

Well played Obama, well played.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »

So people want to get rid of Jackson, so we're getting rid of Hamilton?

Well played Obama, well played.

And so continues the triumph of the middling.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »

Hamilton will remain in some capacity.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/us/portrait-of-a-woman-to-share-space-on-the-dollar-10-bill-with-hamiltons.html
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »

I'd love to see Truman or Reagan on currency.

Reagan doesn't deserve to be on any denomination of anything.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »

I'm also perplexed. Even if they plan to overhaul them all, Jackson is obviously the one to start with. Replace him with FDR.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 03:32:42 PM »

About time, I say. Hamilton might have been responsible for the economic survival of the American republic but he never had a vagina.

Terrible decision, should have replaced Jackson. No bill should have two people on it unless those two shared a connection. So unless is like the first prominent banker woman or something, this bill is pointless and nonsensical.

I agree with both of these statements, wholeheartedly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 04:29:55 PM »

I'm also perplexed. Even if they plan to overhaul them all, Jackson is obviously the one to start with. Replace him with FDR.
As has already been explained, for reasons having nothing to do with subject matter, the sawbuck was due to be the denomination next overhauled.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »

This is kind of strange to have both.  I mean, I wouldn't care at all if they replaced someone who's not Lincoln or Washington (preferably Jackson), and I wouldn't care at all if they just left everything alone.  Two people on it is lame.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2015, 05:04:45 PM by Likely Voter »

Treasury announced they were working on a new generation of currency back in 2013. The new bills would have new anti counterfeiting features and be the first bills with tactile features for the blind. The $10 was set to be the first.  I suspect for the people at Treasury, the choice of portrait is a relatively low priority feature from their goal to improve the currency.

The woman on $20 campaign on social media was either unaware of the plans or chose to ignore it based on Jackson being a particularly easy target for replacement. Perhaps they succeeded in getting Treasury to put a woman on the next bill due for redesign (the $10), but it appears a Twitter meme isnt enough to completely upend the glacial plans and bureaucracy of the Treasury Dept.

One likely factor for the $10 being the first of the new generation of currency is there are relatively fewer bills in circulation. There are 8.1B $20 bills in circulation, but only 1.9B $10 bills.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 06:11:52 PM »

LOL at the optics of this. People demand a woman on the 20$, and so they put one on the 10$—did they not a woman on the most widely used* bank note or did they just feel like 20$ was overestimating the value of women two fold? or is this just a moderate hero thing?

The real moderate hero position would have been to put the woman on one of the 3 rare bills, the $2, $50, or $100.

The $100 bill is the most widely circulated bill in the world - by a large margin.  About 80% of the bills in circulation are $100 bills.

It's sad that they're going to replace Alexander Hamilton instead of Andrew Jackson.  Hamilton founded this nation's treasury and deserves to be on the currency.  Jackson hated the Bank of the U.S. and wouldn't even want to be on the currency.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »

Completely unnecessary and I fervently hope this decision will be reversed -I had no issues with Hamilton being on the currency.  In fact I can't think of anyone more fitting than him to be front and center on it.

Feel free to replace Andrew Jackson and Ulysses S. Grant -but leave Alexander Hamilton alone. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »

I don't care, but if we get rid of anybody it ought to be Hamilton.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »

LOL at the optics of this. People demand a woman on the 20$, and so they put one on the 10$—did they not a woman on the most widely used* bank note or did they just feel like 20$ was overestimating the value of women two fold? or is this just a moderate hero thing?

The real moderate hero position would have been to put the woman on one of the 3 rare bills, the $2, $50, or $100.

The $100 bill is the most widely circulated bill in the world - by a large margin.  About 80% of the bills in circulation are $100 bills.

It's sad that they're going to replace Alexander Hamilton instead of Andrew Jackson.  Hamilton founded this nation's treasury and deserves to be on the currency.  Jackson hated the Bank of the U.S. and wouldn't even want to be on the currency.

Who uses $100 bills? Drug dealers? People in other countries? You rarely see them.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »

Who uses $100 bills? Drug dealers? People in other countries? You rarely see them.

Yes, a lot of $100 bills are held by people in other countries.  They are also held by people in the U.S. who like to pay with cash, particularly older folks.  $100 bills are more prevalent than you think.  I did not make up the 80% stat.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »

The $100 bill is the most widely circulated bill in the world - by a large margin.  About 80% of the bills in circulation are $100 bills

Actually the $1 bill is most common with 11B in circulation. $100 bill is second with 10B bills.

$100 bills do account for 78% of the value of currency in circulation, but not in number of bills for obvious reasons.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »

The government is controlled by Democrats and Republicans. Ofc they screw the Federalist.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »

While it's surprising that there are more $100 bills than $20 bills, it's only by a small margin, and the 80% figure must be 80% of the dollar value of currency is in $100 bills.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

While it's surprising that there are more $100 bills than $20 bills, it's only by a small margin, and the 80% figure must be 80% of the dollar value of currency is in $100 bills.

Whichever way it is, $100 bills aren't the rarest of the rare, like $2 bills.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 02:28:30 AM »

Apparently the $10 had Pocahontas on it at one point, and yes, sharing it with a man.

Jackson was also on the $10 at one point before being moved to the $20. Hamilton should be moved to the $20 when it comes up if they are set on using the $10.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2015, 06:54:37 AM »

I love how this forum loses it's shit over who is on our dollar bills.  But okay fine, I'll play along.  We should obviously replace the faces on the dollar bills with Peter Gabriel album covers.  That is the only way that makes sense.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »

Whichever way it is, $100 bills aren't the rarest of the rare, like $2 bills.

Oh, that gives me another good idea: Bring back the two dollar bill... but put Sally Hemings's face on it instead of Thomas Jefferson's.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2015, 12:55:48 PM »

I'm glad we're getting a woman but I also agree that the $20 bill would have been a much better choice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies