The new ten dollar bill to have a woman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The new ten dollar bill to have a woman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The new ten dollar bill to have a woman  (Read 11334 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »

Can't you put animals on them?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »

get rid of Grant. yes, an invaluable civil war general, but a god-awful president.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »

get rid of Grant. yes, an invaluable civil war general, but a god-awful president.
Actually the number one reason to get rid of Grant is that the 50 is the only bill today that has no link between the obverse and the reverse as the back of the 50 shows the Capitol.  Clay is without a doubt the greatest member of Congress in History as he was both a great Senator and a Speaker of the House.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2015, 11:30:12 PM »

Actually, he was remarkably non-racist by 19th century standards and seems to have been sincere about reforming the South.  He also nearly single-handedly won the Civil War.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »

I have the perfect woman in mind...

WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »

I have the perfect woman in mind...

Heh, unfortunately she's gotta be dead for that.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »

Hamilton had an affair with a married woman that ruined his political career. I doubt he was gay.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »

Hamilton was perhaps the best of all the Founding Fathers.

And the only openly-gay US Secretary of State.  I wouldn't want him replaced either.  Ah well, there's no accounting for tastes.  Have you seen the polls, it's like they asked "hey, we're going to replace the most effeminate of all the founding fathers on our notes, and we want to replace him with a woman--after all, we wouldn't want to replace a manly man, would we?  so let's replace Handy Hamilton--anyway, whom do you like?"  According to Texasgurl's poll, it was Harriet Tubman at 34%.  Harriet Tubman?!  Could they possibly find a more homely woman?  I giess O could understand wanting to replace such a nelly man with a butch woman, and I do understand that it has to be a dead person, but why her?  I'd go with Susan B.  She's every bit as Butch, but she's not nearly as homely.  Or, if they want to go with a sexy woman, why not Sacagaweya?  Or Pocahontas?  Surely we can do better than toe-headed, doo-rag wearing Harriet Tubman.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »

I saw this nice article advocating for Jeanette Rankin. I actually like the choice.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/19/10-bill-jeannette-rankin-pacifist-senator
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »

Someone who voted against World War II isn't fit to be on anything of note.

I can admire her principle, but she's seriously not anyone to lionize.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that she supported the idea of going to war with Japan. She voted against the declaration because women weren't drafted. I don't know if that's true or not. If it is, it makes her much less problematic.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that she supported the idea of going to war with Japan. She voted against the declaration because women weren't drafted. I don't know if that's true or not. If it is, it makes her much less problematic.

She still strikes me as a rather odd choice. Susan B. Anthony or Harriet Tubman stand out as far more impressive and significant figures.

Either way, none of them should be on the $10 because no one should be on the $10 besides Hamilton. I'm hopeful that the next President will slam the brakes on this obnoxious effort in instant gratification and move the decision back to when the $20 is redesigned.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »

I think what I like best about her was that she was elected in 1916 before most women were allowed to vote (Although they were in Montana so not QUITE as impressive as if she was elected solely by men).
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »

Apparently the $10 had Pocahontas on it at one point, and yes, sharing it with a man.

Jackson was also on the $10 at one point before being moved to the $20. Hamilton should be moved to the $20 when it comes up if they are set on using the $10.

I like this idea, also Harriet Tubman should be the chosen women for the $10 bill
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »

Actually, he was remarkably non-racist by 19th century standards and seems to have been sincere about reforming the South.  He also nearly single-handedly won the Civil War.

His intentions were far overshadowed by his incompetence and permissive attitude towards corruption , and just plain no to 'single-handedly' winning the war.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »

Apparently the $10 had Pocahontas on it at one point, and yes, sharing it with a man.

Jackson was also on the $10 at one point before being moved to the $20. Hamilton should be moved to the $20 when it comes up if they are set on using the $10.

I like this idea, also Harriet Tubman should be the chosen women for the $10 bill

Or Sojourner Truth.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »

Women...always trying to get into men's wallets.

Seriously though, anything to get rid of Hamilton.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »

I was thinking, and the reason why the Treasury put a woman on the 10 dollar bill, is because they are putting something else on the 20 dollar bill.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »

It seems we've been heard.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »

Good, good. This was ridiculous. Ideally, they will realize that a little delayed gratification is better than a terrible move that will be reversed by a Republican President. Boot Jackson.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »

A woman on the 20 is certainly a better move than the 10. Hopefully the bureaucracy of the Treasury Dept. can move the $20 ahead of the $10 to become the first new bill with the new anti-counterfeit features. That is really the focus of Treasury, not who is on the bill.   If there is no way to stop the $10 redesign process, then they need to announce and show the new $20 design with a woman on it before the new $10 (with Hamilton) comes out.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »

lol Democrats.  Keeping to heart one very important lesson learned in the past fifty years while completely forgetting one that many of them at least pretended to remember as recently as the Reagan years.  Okay, Obama's last election campaign if we are being really lenient here.

tl;dr version: Both of the bastards should be dropped for obvious reason apparent to anyone who actually learned anything from American History class besides feel good talking points and stuff that makes rich urbane white people feel good about themselves.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »

Hamilton should stay on the 10. Jackson should be replaced. Not by a woman but by James Madison.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »

Hamilton should stay on the 10. Jackson should be replaced. Not by a woman but by James Madison.

Why should it be James Madison as oppose to a woman who has done far more for the nation?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »

Why should it be James Madison as oppose to a woman who has done far more for the nation?
I want a woman as much as anyone else, but don't diminish the importance of Madison.  He helped write the document which this nation's government and politicos is built on.  Should he be on money, yes, but put him on the 50.  I understand the point you were trying to make, but you did it in a bad way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies