The new ten dollar bill to have a woman (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:33:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The new ten dollar bill to have a woman (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The new ten dollar bill to have a woman  (Read 11469 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 17, 2016, 07:28:58 AM »

I get the appeal of having a woman on our money, but why get rid of Hamilton?  He was a crucial figure in the early years of our government.  He opposed slavery, was the first Treasury Secretary, and fought to ratify the Constitution.

And as awful as Jackson was, I see no reason to remove him from the $20 bill.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

If we're going to have a woman on the $20, why not make it Margaret Chase Smith?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:05:15 AM »

If we're going to have a woman on the $20, why not make it Margaret Chase Smith?

It rang a bell, but I still had to google her name. See what I mean? If I'm not familiar, are these people (regardless of gender) really worthy of money?
I would imagine a lot of people don't recognize some of the people on our money.  They probably assume that Hamilton and Franklin are both "dead presidents", even though neither one of them ever WAS president.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »

Thank god, Hamilton lives.  Thank you Broadway.
I hope we don't go all PC and get rid of Jackson just for the trail of tears.  That madman is one of the quintessential American characters and an extraordinarily significant president in every way.
Honestly I'd like to see Teddy make it onto a bill before any of our women.

Jackson was horrible, but not just for the Trail of Tears.  His economic policies of abolishing the national bank directly contributed to the Panic of 1837, he supported slavery, and he had a horrendous temper.  The man was basically an American Napoleon-- hot-tempered and power hungry.  But he certainly left his mark on American history, even if it wasn't a good one.  I see no reason to remove him from the $20 bill.

I agree with you that Theodore Roosevelt deserves to be honored on a bill or coin.  If we're going to have a woman on any of our money (or a black, Hispanic, etc.), then we should just start a series of collectible coins like the state quarters or the presidential dollar set.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »

Glad they are keeping Hamilton, maybe they should get rid of Jackson. I am not against the idea of a woman, but I don't know I am sold on any particular woman. As heroic as she was, I can't say I'd be really excited to walk around with Harriet Tubman money.

How about putting Obama on the 20?

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! Conservatives would HATE that!

Considering it'd be the same as putting Reagan on the $20 in 1989, I'd imagine so, LOL.
Well, FDR was put on the dime only a year after he died, so it could happen.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:52 PM »

"Just" the Trail of Tears? Just?

You people...
Read my post again.  I said that Jackson was awful for reasons other than the Trail of Tears.  To be sure, it would be enough to make him an HP, but it's not the only reason why he was.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 05:48:07 PM »

State quarters is a good idea. They'd enter regular circulation and be used widely. I like dollar coins, but they're so hated by the public that any attempt to put them into circulation would fail without killing the dollar bill.
They've already done state quarters, and now they're doing a new edition called the "America the Beautiful" series, that I think uses natural landmarks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies