Moral Dilemma
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:07:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Moral Dilemma
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moral Dilemma  (Read 512 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:10 PM »

You guys may have noticed that Wikipedia's "2012 Presidential Election, Results by Congressional District" map has a couple errors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012#/media/File:2012_US_congressional_district_presidential_election.svg

They show WA-8 and NY-2 as voting for Romney, despite the fact that they actually voted for Obama.  I tried contacting the map maker to inform them of said errors so they could correct them; however, they has not contacted me back, and has not made the appropriate edits to said map. 

Question: is it morally acceptable to delete said map and replace it with a correct version?  Although they are at fault own creation, I would feel bad to delete something that he (or she) obviously went to significant lengths to create (and actually looks pretty good regardless of it's mistakes). 

So what do you think?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »

it's wikipedia facts are worthless there anyways

But seriously, I'd try merely edit that map to make NY-2 and WA-8 blue and put that in.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »

You could also consider that you have a moral imperative to correct inaccurate information.

I wouldn't feel bad about deleting someone's map if it's riddled with errors - if they are going to be the authority on the matter, they'd better get their facts straight.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:18:09 AM »

Of course you should, what a silly question. Wrong information on a website dedicated to providing information must be corrected.
Foucaulf
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:26:44 PM »

Can't you just announce the proposed edit on the talk page before doing it?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »

Can't you just announce the proposed edit on the talk page before doing it?

What do you mean? 
Foucaulf
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »

I didn't understand what you meant by "delete," exactly.  I thought the likeliest outcome was that you would replace the map on the page with yours (which it looks like you did). Announcing the change on the article's talk page may be a good way to prevent an edit war.

That said the map hasn't been reverted, so you're probably good to go. I wish you could make your map transparent, however.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:06 PM »

I didn't understand what you meant by "delete," exactly.  I thought the likeliest outcome was that you would replace the map on the page with yours (which it looks like you did). Announcing the change on the article's talk page may be a good way to prevent an edit war.

That said the map hasn't been reverted, so you're probably good to go. I wish you could make your map transparent, however.

I didn't think of that, actually.  All I did was leave a comment on the picture itself so the author would see it, but they never responded.  When I replaced their map with mine I did put in an explanation for why I made the edit.  Hopefully that will be satisfactory. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:43 PM »

Btw here's the new map, for those who haven't seen it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/2012_presidential_election%2C_results_by_congressional_district.png
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies