What would you do if your boyfriend/girlfriend came out as transgendered? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:11:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would you do if your boyfriend/girlfriend came out as transgendered? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would you do if your boyfriend/girlfriend came out as transgendered?  (Read 2560 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« on: June 18, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

I'd stay with them and support them if they were still committed to being with me. But it's a bit easier for me to adapt than most, I imagine.

You can't change who you're attracted to, though, and I do think that sex is an important aspect for many people, so I personally don't blame anyone who would choose to leave. Just don't be an asshole about it.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »

I couldn't be with someone who was born male even if they had surgery to align their body with how they perceived themselves mentally.

Why do you think that is? Would you be with someone who was born with indeterminate genitalia that was made to be female? Is it because you would be unable to have children? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

To hazard some guesses myself, on one hand, it feels like most people would say the repulsion is innate because they then identify that person's gender with their born genitalia, which they are not attracted to, because it suddenly betrays their straightness or whatever else. On the other hand, maybe it's just icky to imagine all of the surgery and the what it is you're ..interacting with, so you can't get past it. On another hand (for this thought experiment you have more than the standard amount of normally allocated hands) maybe you think there would be too much work involved in dealing with the baggage of it all, socially and otherwise. Perhaps you have just never considered that it might be possible to deeply love someone despite their junk? Perhaps most people have just never considered it seriously - when would it ever affect them?

Again, I don't mind to call you out specifically - I just always wonder about the specific why's behind this rejection, and if they've really been thought about much by the person answering.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »

This is how I am on a lot of issues though. When it comes to my own personal thoughts and way I live my life I am generally very conservative, but when it comes to laws and how others live their lives I am far more liberal. I may not agree with something but it doesn't mean I should infringe on someone else's right to happiness.

Thanks for the honest answer. This part I quoted in particular I can relate to. I will admit I take deep offense at some of the things you said and I'd urge you to really consider the differences between biological sex and gender identity because they are important. But, you know, your views on them aren't unusual, just often unspoken, so thanks for airing them. Just for fun, I'll add that your confusion on how to approach someone who was born "sexually ambiguous" was a sideways reference to "classic" transgender people, as the disconnect between gender identity and biological sex can itself be seen as an intersex phenomenon. Cheers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies