Opinion of Militant Atheism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Militant Atheism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

KFC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Opinion of Militant Atheism  (Read 5071 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:33:35 PM »

Massive FF

Discuss
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »

You mean the oversensitive types of people that want to ban any sort of reference to religion? HP.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »

Tedious bores gonna bore.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:48 PM »

You mean the oversensitive types of people that want to ban any sort of reference to religion? HP.

Very much HP, though I didn't always feel this way by any means.

They also, despite often coming from upper-class homes and living relatively privileged lives, have a major persecution complex that is very annoying.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »

They also, despite often coming from upper-class homes and living relatively privileged lives, have a major persecution complex that is very annoying.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:31:12 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2015, 11:35:37 PM by L.D. Smith, Bay Area Conservadem »

This

Many of them also lack of sense of anything beyond them or doing something because it's beyond them and from a higher power.

At least the most insufferable Born Again does things because they believe it as some kind of divine or natural cause to do the deed instead of "because it's logical".
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:37:17 PM »

HP, but this is a loaded question because in most peoples' minds militant = bad regardless of ideology.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »

This

Many of them also lack of sense of anything beyond them or doing something because it's beyond them and from a higher power.

At least the most insufferable Born Again does things because they believe it as some kind of divine or natural cause to do the deed instead of "because it's logical".

A good example of this is the youtuber JaclynGlenn.  She sung a cringeworthy parody entitled Amazing Science (as opposed to Amazing Grace).  Ironically, I might have liked that song 6 months ago, but now the worldview of atheism and the idea that cold, hard logic and science is all that matters now utterly repulsed me.  When people say snarky things like science is their religion, I feel like they are so single minded that they lose out on a lot.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »

HP, but this is a loaded question because in most peoples' minds militant = bad regardless of ideology.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:28:39 AM »

I'm surprised only one person has chosen the third option as of now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »

Militant ____fill in the blank______ are HPs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »

Annoying, pretentious, and politically ineffectual.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »

This

In that case, would you consider me a militant atheist? Because approximately 0% of my decisions are made by divine inspiration, with "because it's logical" being a much more common reason for me to do things. Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

This

Many of them also lack of sense of anything beyond them or doing something because it's beyond them and/or from a higher power.

In that case, would you consider me a militant atheist? Because approximately 0% of my decisions are made by divine inspiration, with "because it's logical" being a much more common reason for me to do things. Tongue

Of course not, you're not an utter Nixon about it all, and you wouldn't go out do objectively horrible things in the name of some kind of silly pseudo-science passed off as logic.

WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »

Any movement with multiple figures saying variants of "philosophy is dead" has no intellectual appeal to me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »

While the middle class dunces that have become the public face of atheism are annoying and stupid, I don't think that militant atheism is necessarily wrong in its call for the destruction of religion nor do I find the basic arguments of it (except for its tendency to reject materialist analyses of religion, or profoundly stupid remarks about Marxism being a 'secular religion', whatever the  that means) incorrect. I consider myself a militant atheist, although I am certainly more inclined toward the critique of religion put forward by Marx and Engels and put into practice by Lenin and Trotsky than I am any of the pontifications of libertarian nutcases like Penn Jillette or pseudo-fascists like Sam Harris.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 11:39:34 AM »

or profoundly stupid remarks about Marxism being a 'secular religion', whatever the  that means

You know how you have a signature that is a stylized picture of Leon Trotsky looking far better than he ever did in life who has apparently grown to gigantic proportions such that his head is bigger than any of the Red Army soldiers he is commanding? That's basically what they mean.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »

Horrible, Horrible people. Just like overzealous religious people, they want to shove their nonsense down your throats.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

Ugh, Christian liturgy is sooooo much better.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »

Anyone who thinks the Holocaust museum shouldn't be allowed to have a Star of David on it is a HP.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

or profoundly stupid remarks about Marxism being a 'secular religion', whatever the  that means

You know how you have a signature that is a stylized picture of Leon Trotsky looking far better than he ever did in life who has apparently grown to gigantic proportions such that his head is bigger than any of the Red Army soldiers he is commanding? That's basically what they mean.

Right, and this is of course somehow a phenomenon distinct to Marxism, as compared to, say...

...or carving the heads of dead Presidents into the sides of mountains, building statutes to abstract philosophical ideas, etc, etc. But this term is almost only ever applied to Marxism, in spite of the fact that the ideology that the average militant atheist subscribes to (liberalism) is just as much of a 'secular religion' when held to the same standard, albeit one that has such an overwhelming hold on the body politic that it seems less of an ideology and more of a fact of life (which is why so many of these types describe themselves as 'non-ideological', etc.)

Psh, the first one sounds way, way better. I'd agree with you on the second though. It's sort of tacky. Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

True.  Any attempt by atheists to codify their beliefs (or ideologies like Communism) is just sad and pathetic compared to great statements of faith like the Nicene Creed.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:04 AM »

Anyone who thinks the Holocaust museum shouldn't be allowed to have a Star of David on it is a HP.

Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris/Dennet/Mahar/Jillette/HockeyDude said that?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies