Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:03:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 130

Author Topic: Should Dylann Roof receive the death penalty?/Will he?  (Read 7331 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »

No/No.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it happening to him.

But, it's South Carolina and he is a White who killed Black people. He will surely find at least one sympathetic juror to him.

This, most probably.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »

I am an opponent of the death penalty in almost all cases. But - not this one...
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19:19 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »

WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »

Hell yes.

And the "i won't lose sleep over it" answer is weasal words. Just come out and say it: "I sincerely hope this mass murderer's life will be spared, and will object mightily if is not". Anything less is a desire to hold the smug 'moral high ground' while simultaneously quietly admitting some offenses deserve execution.

it must be tough to acknowledge the reality that capital defendants today are akin to this guy, not Leo Frank or the Scottsboro Boys.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

no.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »

And the "i won't lose sleep over it" answer is weasal words. Just come out and say it: "I sincerely hope this mass murderer's life will be spared, and will object mightily if is not". Anything less is a desire to hold the smug 'moral high ground' while simultaneously quietly admitting some offenses deserve execution.

I believe the death penalty is wrong under any circumstances whatsoever. No exceptions.

With acts of terrorism or mass murder, I understand people who want to see the perpetrators given the death penalty, but I still think it's wrong. I agree that Roof did a very, very bad thing, which is why I wouldn't be dwell on him being given the death penalty. However, I would still be opposed to it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »

What a load of bullsh*t.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »

What a load of bullsh*t.

I seem to have struck a nerve......
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »

WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

What a load of bullsh*t.

No, you're just spewing out untrue nonsense.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »

Damn, hell of a lot of terrorist-coddlers on this website. Obviously he should be executed.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »

No (not a revenge-seeking bloodthirsty savage)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

Much like Tsarnaev, Hasan, Holmes, and McVeigh, anyone who takes this many innocent lives in cold blood should be executed. Especially since he likely has Neo-Nazi buddies both inside and out who might try to help him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »

What a load of bullsh*t.

Garbage. I was a defense attorney (and capital punishment opponent) once, and you defend your client to the utmost whether they are in fact innocent (almost never the case) or guilty7 as sin of the most henious crimes. if when envisions death penalty defendants as largely innocent victims of corrupt racist police and judiciary, but soften their resistance to mere  lip service when faced with a truly horrific and monsterous hate crime like this, that's hypocritical.

opposition to the death penalty means being able to oppose its use even in the most henious crimes such as this. anyone who refuses to oppose the death penalty just as vehemently here vs. the cases of Mumia or the like is frankl. just wussing out.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »

Damn, hell of a lot of terrorist-coddlers on this website. Obviously he should be executed.

I don't defend anything he did. As a moral issue, I oppose capital punishment. I ask that you stop implying that somehow I condone his actions. That is insulting and absurd.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »

What a load of bullsh*t.

Garbage. I was a defense attorney (and capital punishment opponent) once, and you defend your client to the utmost whether they are in fact innocent (almost never the case) or guilty7 as sin of the most henious crimes. if when envisions death penalty defendants as largely innocent victims of corrupt racist police and judiciary, but soften their resistance to mere  lip service when faced with a truly horrific and monsterous hate crime like this, that's hypocritical.

opposition to the death penalty means being able to oppose its use even in the most henious crimes such as this. anyone who refuses to oppose the death penalty just as vehemently here vs. the cases of Mumia or the like is frankl. just wussing out.

Then let me say it as clearly and unequivocally as I can:

Ahem

Dylann Roof should not be given the death penalty.

Note: This does not, in any form, equal condoning his obviously heinous crime. It is simply meant to make clear my stance on this moral issue.

Happy now?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »

They'll never be happy until more blood is shed in revenge, dimplechad.  It's a sport for them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »

Yes, actually. It is a lot less meally mouthed than the "i don't support the death penalty but won't mind when this guy gets it" b.s. several posters (including you) stated previously.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »

They'll never be happy until more blood is shed in revenge, dimplechad.  It's a sport for them.

Actually, protecting crime victims is my life's calling, so yes, i get more then a tad testy when dorm room internet warriors minimize issues and actual human suffering to caricatures. Ditto with manchildren who condense real issues about police relations with their communities into screeds about "pigs" to describe the other 98% of cops.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »

Yes, actually. It is a lot less meally mouthed than the "i don't support the death penalty but won't mind when this guy gets it" b.s. several posters (including you) stated previously.

It's entirely possible to oppose the death penalty as an institution because of its chance to kill innocents, while not having a single qualm about - as long as it's legal - it being applied to mass murderers where there is zero doubt about their guilt.

I believe executing killers is completely morally justifiable, yet I'd be happy if it went away simply because I don't trust the states to apply it, personally.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »

A government of mass murderers produces a state of mass murderers.

Explain Anders Breivik.

That is the very definition of an isolated incident.  Notably there haven't been any changes to the law because of him.

Is that the best you got?

I will lose sleep over the death of this monster like any reasonable person should.  One day, America will decide it's time to break the cycle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies