Ventura: Eliminate Income Tax and Replace it with 15% National Sales Tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:48:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Ventura: Eliminate Income Tax and Replace it with 15% National Sales Tax
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ventura: Eliminate Income Tax and Replace it with 15% National Sales Tax  (Read 3721 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »

What would be the revenue projection for this?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »

More revenue as it is a massive tax increase on half of Americans will no longer get a refund in April, as it is impossible to account for one with a sales tax, and still get gouged on their checks by paying FICA. Of course, that's assuming they still have jobs, after this state induced hyperinflation of 15% completely destroys American auto industry, real estate, and retail once and for all. In that case, less revenue.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:18:18 PM »

The man is a bumbling idiot.

The highlight of his governorship:
When he took a pie to the face

When he visited my high school and made a 15 year old girl cry and a lady handed him a brown paper bag with a bottle of her piss in it.

His character was revealed in how angry and sore he was about it.

Someone needs to tape his mouth shut.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »

Libertarians (actual ones, not the Rand Paul type ones) are idiots. News at 11.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »

Depends on the base. If it is 15% on absolutely all transactions, it is 15% of the GDP (2.5 trln dollars). Now, that would be a lot broader-based than any state-level tax - and is not going to happen.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »

More revenue as it is a massive tax increase on half of Americans will no longer get a refund in April, as it is impossible to account for one with a sales tax, and still get gouged on their checks by paying FICA. Of course, that's assuming they still have jobs, after this state induced hyperinflation of 15% completely destroys American auto industry, real estate, and retail once and for all. In that case, less revenue.

I assume he also implied eliminating FICA and payrolls too
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »

I don't see how this will be a tax increase. It increases purchasing power. Poor people buy less so they pay less like they pay less now!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »

I don't see how this will be a tax increase. It increases purchasing power. Poor people buy less so they pay less like they pay less now!
Oh wow.  Dat libertarian logic.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »

Oh wow.  Dat libertarian logic.
I can't believe he just said that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »

Canada combines a hefty VAT with payments too the poor to ensure they don't overpay. I get about $50/month from the government to compensate for the sales tax I paid, and this amount goes up if you have children.

I could see an expanded version of this system working. The problem is, in order for it to work, you have to keep the income tax system in place without the collection aspect in order to assess low income payouts. I'm not sure if the extra taxes taken from wealthy tax evaders would be worth the trouble in that case.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »

Canada combines a hefty VAT with payments too the poor to ensure they don't overpay. I get about $50/month from the government to compensate for the sales tax I paid, and this amount goes up if you have children.

I could see an expanded version of this system working. The problem is, in order for it to work, you have to keep the income tax system in place without the collection aspect in order to assess low income payouts. I'm not sure if the extra taxes taken from wealthy tax evaders would be worth the trouble in that case.

Hefty? The federal GST is 5%.  Of course, most provinces (All but Alberta?) also have provincial sales taxes (not necessarily provincial GSTs) that in most if not all cases at least double and in some cases add much more to the federal GST.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »

As bad of an idea as a national sales tax is, it sure is persistent. Let's try something that makes sense.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »

OMG that is super regressive
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »

Hefty? The federal GST is 5%.  Of course, most provinces (All but Alberta?) also have provincial sales taxes (not necessarily provincial GSTs) that in most if not all cases at least double and in some cases add much more to the federal GST.

The combined rate in my province is 15%, which if far heftier than pretty much anywhere in the US.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »

So he likes having deficits of well over $1 trillion a year?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »

If you spend 100 percent of your income, as the poor do, your effective tax rate is 15 percent.

If you only spend, say, 60 percent of your income, as a more well-to-do person may, your effective tax rate is 9 percent.

How are the poor paying less? Do you mean less in absolute terms due to their lack of money?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 12:38:42 AM »

If you spend 100 percent of your income, as the poor do, your effective tax rate is 15 percent.

If you only spend, say, 60 percent of your income, as a more well-to-do person may, your effective tax rate is 9 percent.

How are the poor paying less? Do you mean less in absolute terms due to their lack of money?

Generally speaking, yes. That's the idea, but in the derogatory way you'd think. Who says that rich people don't spend all of their money? The idea is that they will buy lots of stuff, such as their 50 sports cars and 3 yachts, and therefore pay more in taxes. It would be preferable to have the sales tax be bracketed in terms of inherent value/necessity, but how would one go about determining that?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 12:57:57 AM »

Generally speaking, yes. That's the idea, but in the derogatory way you'd think. Who says that rich people don't spend all of their money? The idea is that they will buy lots of stuff, such as their 50 sports cars and 3 yachts, and therefore pay more in taxes. It would be preferable to have the sales tax be bracketed in terms of inherent value/necessity, but how would one go about determining that?
I say the rich don't spend all their money. Evidence: the increasing concentration of wealth in the richest households. As to your next comment, that's really too ridiculous to respond to.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »

I don't like the idea. It taxes the poor more disproportionately because they're spending a bigger proportion of their money on needs. Even though its flat, in practice its more regressive, which is never good.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »

Is 50 sports cars and 3 yachts really the best use of our economic power? How many companies manufacture sports cars and yachts? Not many.

Or would we rather have it where as many Americans possible can afford to eat dinner at a restaurant and buy new clothes and furniture, which are the largest retail sectors of our economy and compose majority of the small businesses in this country?

To me, Option 2 sounds like it would create millions more jobs and triillions more GDP.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

The average person will have to pay significantly more tax than they did under income tax, so it's a really bad idea.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »

STOP WITH THE FACTS. WHY WON'T YOU LIBERAL PROGRESSIVES JUST SHUT UP AND ADMIT THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?!?!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 02:44:25 PM »

So...I currently live in Texas, which has an 8% state sales tax. Add on a 15% national sales tax and...23% sales tax on anything I would buy.

That is...pretty hefty. Wouldn't this incentivize me to begin importing things from overseas to avoid sales taxes and cut domestic businesses and Uncle Sam out of the loop? At that point, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy things off of Amazon Canada and pay the shipping fees?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »

Exactly.  This is the most terrible idea I have ever heard.  We should be eliminating the sales tax because it's regressive taxation that hurts the middle and lower classes and increasing taxation of high incomes.

In other words we should be doing the exact opposite of what this moron suggests.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »

That's not how it works. That's not how any of it works. Most rich people are not Larry Ellison or Stephen Schwartzman. They're not flaunting their wealth in the most flamboyant way possible.

Mitt Romney is actually a pretty accurate representation of rich person consumption. They basically buy the same quantity of stuff normal people do, and only occasionally in considerably better quality. Mitt Romney has an iPhone. His housekeeper probably has an iPhone too. They both need cell phones. They both have to pay telecom companies a monthly fee to use them. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he suddenly needs 20 cell phones. There's no "rich people" iPhone that creates more jobs or more economic activity than the one we all buy.

Where does the rest of their money go? Real estate - which can drive economic activity, but can also push housing prices up so that it is less affordable for everyone else (which is what is currently happening).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies