To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: This is a....
Freedom Tactic

Horrible Tactic

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer  (Read 1743 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/11/03/242301642/to-stave-off-decline-churches-attract-new-members-with-beer

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Love that last bit, lol. Reminds me of how everyone attacked me for this.

But yeah, this is very effective, and a great example of how Christianity is staying relevant in the modern world.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

FT/HP (Freedom Tactic/Horrible Poll)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »

There's nothing wrong with churches brewing beer; it's not much different than giving out coffee and donuts afterward. In fact the religious orders have been doing that for centuries!

What looks like it is a problem though is putting the beer in places it shouldn't be. The sanctuary itself is not the proper location for beer, food, coffee, gum, or whatever else. Drink it outside, in the gathering space, entrance hall, basement or wherever just not in the sanctuary. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with having beer during a religious talk or other similar prayer group meeting. You should probably put it down for actual prayer though.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »

There's nothing wrong with churches brewing beer; it's not much different than giving out coffee and donuts afterward. In fact the religious orders have been doing that for centuries!

What looks like it is a problem though is putting the beer in places it shouldn't be. The sanctuary itself is not the proper location for beer, food, coffee, gum, or whatever else. Drink it outside, in the gathering space, entrance hall, basement or wherever just not in the sanctuary. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with having beer during a religious talk or other similar prayer group meeting. You should probably put it down for actual prayer though.

This pretty much summarizes my views.  This is an issue with most "pub churches" because there is no demarcation between the sanctuary and the outside socializing/gathering area, and outside of communion, I don't think there should be drinking of alcohol (or anything for that matter) during a service.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »

This reminds me of that banned Super Bowl commercial where a church attempts to attract members by replacing the communion bread and wine with Doritos and Pepsi Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpniiSFmOeI
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:26:05 AM »

Holy Spirit is a better draw into the church than beer.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:28:32 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uHBFiAnpZs
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »

one of the main ways Jesus caused a disturbance was by not obeying cultural norms regarding food and drink.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »

one of the main ways Jesus caused a disturbance was by not obeying cultural norms regarding food and drink.

So? He still followed the general format of praying then eating. It wasn't like he threw a kegger in the temple or something.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »

Ah yes, the desperation is palpable.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:39:32 AM »

Ah yes, the desperation is palpable.

Yeah. BRTD, this right here is what this sort of thing communicates to most people, not 'staying relevant'.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »

Holy Spirit is a better draw into the church than beer.

Why choose one or the other?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 04:53:43 PM »

Ugh. Mainliners.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: