Once more, gun control opponents...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:42:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Once more, gun control opponents...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Once more, gun control opponents...  (Read 15218 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »

Semi-automatic rifles are also great hunting rifles.  My deer rifle is a semi-automatic in 30-06. 

I bet you feel cool when you shoot deer with your big rifle, don't you? Well, I hate to break it to you Yellow Avatar but what you do is not impressive at all. You shot and killed an animal that couldn't defend itself. Creep.
I take it that you are a vegetarian. Oh, and no leather belts or shoes either.
He doesn't object to the killing, that would make sense.  He objects to the bragging about it.....for some reason.  How dare other people enjoy a hobby he doesn't understand.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »

Hunters in this country is soley the preserve of rich creeps and decayed aristocrats. It feels weird that the working-class do it in Murica.

(And yes, bragging about killing animals as if it's a particularly impressive and physically demanding activity is indeed laughable)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #202 on: July 02, 2015, 01:00:46 PM »

You'd have a point if hunting only involved instantly transporting yourself to directly in front of your target, firing and then you're done.  Do you think that 140lb deer magically transports itself to your butcher?  Nobody (except you folk) is arguing that hunting is an extremely physically demanding hobby, but it's certainly tougher than typing on a keyboard.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #203 on: July 02, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »

There's also the point that due to the near extermination of the deer's natural predators, hunting is the only thing that avoids vast overpopulation and starving.

Besides, most animals don't hunt other animals that can "fight back". Predator on predator hunting isn't unheard of, but is rare.

Much like a properly grilled venison steak, preferably with a side of hosenpfeffer.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »

Much like a properly grilled venison steak, preferably with a side of hosenpfeffer.
Hosenpfeffer a la Bugs Bunny, I hope.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

Hosenpfeffer a la Bugs Bunny, I hope.

Natch. Wink

tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »

Who bragged about it?  I hunt, I fish.  They are good hobbies that provide inexpensive, healthy protein that tastes very good. 
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2015, 12:02:44 PM »

In closing, I propose two questions.  To restate my original question, do you believe government should have a monopoly on the use of force especially deadly force? And in the nature of compromise, accept the same regulations on voting that you would on gun ownership?

1.) Are you advocating vigilantism? That very quickly slips into chaos. I believe that the only instance anyone has the right to apply deadly force is in the case of self defense. This goes for police and for the citizenry. I advocate police de-militarization and cutting military spending, so don't even try to cast me as a "totalitarian STATIST!!" like you libertarians so often do.

2.) VOTING DOESN'T KILL PEOPLE
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2015, 07:50:57 AM »

In closing, I propose two questions.  To restate my original question, do you believe government should have a monopoly on the use of force especially deadly force? And in the nature of compromise, accept the same regulations on voting that you would on gun ownership?

Yes, because the government not having that monopoly is the literal definition of state failure.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2015, 08:09:36 AM »

In closing, I propose two questions.  To restate my original question, do you believe government should have a monopoly on the use of force especially deadly force? And in the nature of compromise, accept the same regulations on voting that you would on gun ownership?

Yes, because the government not having that monopoly is the literal definition of state failure.

The government needs to have a monopoly on the legitimate use of deadly force. Obviously there can't be a monopoly on the use of deadly force in all situations, but the government is the only body that can exercise it legitimately, or determine after the fact that non-government use was legitimate.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »

So, if I am being assaulted, I just have to sit there and get the **** kicked out of me while I wait for the cops? No thanks.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:23 AM »

So, if I am being assaulted, I just have to sit there and get the **** kicked out of me while I wait for the cops? No thanks.

Who said that? You have the right to self-defense, but the courts determine after the fact if your claim of self-defense had merit or not. You don't just get to assert it and have it magically absolve you of any consequences.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »

I know if I was in a potentially risky situation there's nothing my id would rather do than get out some cool gun and be a total badass, diffusing the situation and maybe capping it off with an awesome one-liner.

Unfortunately, I'm not ten or demented so I don't let my id control me.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »

Who said that? You have the right to self-defense, but the courts determine after the fact if your claim of self-defense had merit or not. You don't just get to assert it and have it magically absolve you of any consequences.

My apologies. I misunderstood you then.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies