Once more, gun control opponents...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:24:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Once more, gun control opponents...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Once more, gun control opponents...  (Read 15210 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:57 PM »

As far as I am concerned, any person carrying a gun is a clear and present danger to my own life and that of my family. Firstly, because s/he has a gun. And, secondly, because wanting to have a gun is likely to be a sign of being a dangerous lunatic in the first place.

And yet you're probably fine with police having INKSing tanks and bazookas.

And you are, probably, fine with New York being nuked, aren't you?

How the  did that come from Joe Bob across the street owning a Glock?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 11:26:08 PM »

People without guns are easy targets to criminals WITH guns.

If everybody's armed, then that's not peace, that's stability (which is surprisingly unstable).

That creates a state of fear, not safe communities.

Yeah. A fear of doing bad stuff because you know you're going to be shot!

No, more like a fear of going to Starbucks for a coffee, because you know, you are goint to be shot!

Ummm, if you open carry, then you're obviously not intended to surprise people and shoot them up! Are you idiots really that paranoid?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »

And yet you're probably fine with police having INKSing tanks and bazookas. People have a right to own guns, period. Calling everyone that likes them insane is despicable. Maybe they like hunting or target shooting! Who knows!?

May be. And some might just enjoy them for their artistic beauty? Just go to the Met - they have a whole gallery. Then, again, the art lovers (and even hunters or target shooters) have no need to carry the guns with them to a supermarket - still less, to conceal them.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2015, 11:28:32 PM by ag »

If everybody's armed, then that's not peace, that's stability (which is surprisingly unstable).

No, more like a fear of going to Starbucks for a coffee, because you know, you are goint to be shot!

Ummm, if you open carry, then you're obviously not intended to surprise people and shoot them up! Are you idiots really that paranoid?

You may have had no intention when you left home, but then you might not like how I look or talk. Who knows what is there on a lunatic's mind?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »

No, a fear of pissing off some aggressive lunatic with a gun who has no qualms about shooting you.

So you suggest we violate the Second Amendment, confiscate all weapons, and make people completely defenseless from threats?

I never said that. I don't support confiscating all guns and rolling back the Second Amendment. But, what should be added to the Bill of Rights is the right to living in a safe community. There are people shooting up malls and schools and churches. People are dying, and you're sticking to rigid ideology. We can't play political football with this anymore, people are being cut down in churches. In schools, small children are being killed in droves.

This is lunacy. It needs to stop.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 11:27:41 PM »

As far as I am concerned, any person carrying a gun is a clear and present danger to my own life and that of my family. Firstly, because s/he has a gun. And, secondly, because wanting to have a gun is likely to be a sign of being a dangerous lunatic in the first place.

And yet you're probably fine with police having INKSing tanks and bazookas.

And you are, probably, fine with New York being nuked, aren't you?

How the  did that come from Joe Bob across the street owning a Glock?

From the same garbage bin you got your bazookas from.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 11:29:22 PM »

You may have had no intention when you left home, but then you might not like how I look or talk. Who knows what is there on a lunatic's mind?

Paranoia at its finest
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 11:29:59 PM »

Calling everyone that likes them insane is despicable.

I sincerely hope there is no one who likes guns.

You can use guns to hunt, or in home defense, but I don't think anybody likes guns. That is sick.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »

Paranoia at its finest

That is also what the people in that Charleston Church thougt.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »

No, a fear of pissing off some aggressive lunatic with a gun who has no qualms about shooting you.

So you suggest we violate the Second Amendment, confiscate all weapons, and make people completely defenseless from threats?

I never said that. I don't support confiscating all guns and rolling back the Second Amendment. But, what should be added to the Bill of Rights is the right to living in a safe community. There are people shooting up malls and schools and churches. People are dying, and you're sticking to rigid ideology. We can't play political football with this anymore, people are being cut down in churches. In schools, small children are being killed in droves.

Safe communities have a well armed people. Urban areas where this crime mainly happens have a multitude of issues, the least of which are strict gun laws that prevent people from stopping these heinous acts!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »

Oh, by the way. How will more gun control punish criminals? They won't care, and I feel that gun crime will INCREASE as a result of civilians not having guns anymore.

As if there are two groups of people:  Criminals and non-criminal.  Like the world is a children's cartoon with the bad guys and the good guys.

Every criminal was a non-criminal until they committed a crime.

Sure, we could cut down crime a lot if we totally eliminated poverty and social problems in poor communities.  It's not going to happen any time soon and people shouldn't die in the meantime.  And, the NRA and Republican don't want to do anything to help poor black communities anyway.  They want to screw them over more!

Here are a few evident facts:

Guns are a more effective weapon than knives.

Decreasing the access to guns among the general public would make it more difficult to kill/injure people with guns.  

Guns in the hands of the public cause way more crime than they prevent.

You could decrease access to guns with a number of measures.   Gun-buyback programs, registration and licensing programs, mandatory background checks.  Or, what about a 25% excise tax on guns?  If you increase the price of a good, it's going to affect sales.  

Ummm, guns are a distant third in crime instruments behind blunt instruments and bare hands. I don't think people want to ban those.

What does that even mean?

Relevant FBI stats:

Murder: 67.7% firearm, 13.4% knives, 5.8% fists/feet/hands
Armed Robbery: 41.3% firearm, 7.8% knives, 8.7% other.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 11:31:38 PM »

You can use guns to hunt, or in home defense, but I don't think anybody likes guns. That is sick.

I am afraid you are very wrong on this one.

Anyway, even in my book there is nothing wrong with liking a beautiful antique gun. As long as it is unloaded (and, hopefully, permanently disabled).
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 11:31:43 PM »

Paranoia at its finest

People are being cut down in droves and you are playing politics! How can you stick to rigid ideology when we have an epidemic of gun violence in this country which far exceeds any nation as developed as ours?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »

Safe communities have a well armed people. Urban areas where this crime mainly happens have a multitude of issues, the least of which are strict gun laws that prevent people from stopping these heinous acts!

Any community with well-armed people is, by my definition, dangerous.

You know what Chekhov once said? If in the first Act of a play there is a gun hanging on a wall, it will shoot in the last Act. Silent guns will, at some point, start shooting.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »

Paranoia at its finest

How dare you use such a tragedy to further a political agenda before the bodies are even cold. The shooter was insane, racist, and got his weapon illegally from his father. And it was a handgun, which only idiots want to ban.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 11:34:06 PM »

Anyway, even in my book there is nothing wrong with liking a beautiful antique gun. As long as it is unloaded (and, hopefully, permanently disabled).

That's different. That is a collector's piece. And what I meant is that people can think guns are useful tools, but to like them or have some fascination with them...I don't know about that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 11:34:44 PM »

Paranoia at its finest

How dare you use such a tragedy to further a political agenda before the bodies are even cold. The shooter was insane, racist, and got his weapon illegally from his father. And it was a handgun, which only idiots want to ban.

I have no political agenda whatsoever. But there is a strong correlation between owning a gun and being an insane racist. Calling a spade a spade is no political agenda
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 11:36:55 PM »

And where pray tell do these crimes happen?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »

That's different. That is a collector's piece. And what I meant is that people can think guns are useful tools, but to like them or have some fascination with them...I don't know about that.

Well, it is an empirically observed fact: there are many people who not merely like them, but love them. Sometimes more so than they love their spouses or children.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »

Wherever there is an armed guy who decides to use his gun.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:16 PM »

I honestly find your stigma on gun owners personally insulting. My entire family owns weapons. None of us have a criminal background, and none of us are insane.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:49 PM »

I honestly find your stigma on gun owners personally insulting. My entire family owns weapons. None of us have a criminal background, and none of us are insane.
You are pretty damn crazy, for starters.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:56 PM »

Wherever there is an armed guy who decides to use his gun.

Cough cough where people can't defend themselves.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:56 PM »

I honestly find your stigma on gun owners personally insulting.

I have no doubt of that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2015, 11:39:23 PM »

But this remains to be proved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies