Running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:27:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Running mate  (Read 3879 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 08:37:32 PM »

I'm afraid my only problem with Dibble was that he is too anti-government and this does not do wonders for my vote.

No offense to either of the candidates, who are both very cool people...but if Dibble has to defend Bono by saying he will never be President, that to me is a bad sign.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 08:57:21 PM »

Bono? Now I am truely undecided in my first preference vote.

Indeed. Some of Bono's views are alittle extreme for my taste...

Given that Bono wants to entirely abolish government, I think that having him one step away from the presidency might not be a good idea.

If I'm elected, I'm not planning on shirking my responsibilities, and I don't think there's a chance in hell I'll be assasinated, so there's not really anything to worry about.

Yes, but the symbolism of this first, important decision is well worth considering.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 08:58:28 PM »

If I'm elected, I'm not planning on shirking my responsibilities, and I don't think there's a chance in hell I'll be assasinated, so there's not really anything to worry about.

I'm sure a few of the people who have been assassinated probably said that too. Wink

Yes, we've had so many assasinations occur here in Atlasia, it's truly heartbreaking. Wink

Yes, but the Veep has moved uop to Pres. Hasn't it happened more than once?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 09:05:42 PM »

I'm sure a few of the people who have been assassinated probably said that too. Wink

Yes, we've had so many assasinations occur here in Atlasia, it's truly heartbreaking. Wink

Yeah, when the previous prez quit, which I assure you I will not.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »

Yes, I believe that. You are reliable and principled.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 09:21:17 PM »

I hate to be the cynic, but someone has to do it: Why are you trying so hard to convince us you won't quit?  Are you unsure that you picked a good running mate?  I mean, no president should want to quit when they're elected without a good reason, but the way you've said this implies you're trying to lessen the effects of the decision to choose Bono.

Some people are afraid if I'm elected that something might occur(such as me quitting) and Bono would become President, and they don't want Bono to be in that position - personally I'd be fine with Bono as President. I'm merely saying that such an event is not likely at all to occur - outside of my actual death in the real world, there's not really anything that would cause it to happen - in order to alleviate the fears of such people so they'll still hopefully vote for me.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 09:24:23 PM »

Bono and Dibble would be basically identical as president anyway.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 09:30:48 PM »

While I would have considered supporting Dibble, I now see this an extreme ticket.  Nope, I couldn't vote for that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 09:36:27 PM »

Um, John Dibble is the most pragmatic Libertarian I know.  Bono wants to abolish government.

No.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »

Um, John Dibble is the most pragmatic Libertarian I know.  Bono wants to abolish government.

No.

I said they'd be the same as president, not that their ideologies are the same. Any bill Bono would sign, I'm sure Dibble would sign. Any bill Dibble would sign, I'm sure Bono would sign.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 10:04:18 PM »

I think Bono is a fine choice.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 11:22:06 PM »

Okay, someone worried about Bono: what are you actually afraid he's going to do?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2005, 12:02:06 AM »

Because John Dibble is a good guy, and a smart guy, a respectful person who has impressed us all over the months with his appraoch, we sort of forgot he actually believes things that are out of the mainstream.

It took this to remind people.

Like others have said, its not a very heartening defense to say he'll never be in a position to do the crazy things he wants to do.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2005, 12:22:39 AM »

Like others have said, its not a very heartening defense to say he'll never be in a position to do the crazy things he wants to do.

I'm not defending my choice in that way - I'm sticking with my choice, as I feel it is the best among my available options. Bono's views are well known, and it would be pointless to argue about them because it wouldn't change them and it's not likely to change the views of others on this forum(as they've been argued time and time again, I think many of us are somewhat set in our ways) regarding him. I would just prefer people who want to vote for me to not change their minds just because I have a VP they disapprove of - mainly their fear is that I'd leave my post and he'd be put in my place, and all I want is to assure them that it isn't gonna happen so they'll still vote for me.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 12:24:22 AM »

Because John Dibble is a good guy, and a smart guy, a respectful person who has impressed us all over the months with his appraoch, we sort of forgot he actually believes things that are out of the mainstream.

Not on this forum. In the country, yes, but this is somewhat libertarian-leaning forum.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2005, 12:27:07 AM »

Not on this forum. In the country, yes, but this is somewhat libertarian-leaning forum.

Not really.  Its a DLC leaning forum, which is very different than libertarian.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2005, 12:31:09 AM »

I personally have no problem with this pick one bit.

However it is the type of pick that can derail a candidate's momentum fairly fast, considering the opinion of Bono on this forum, for better or for worse.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2005, 12:43:27 AM »

Not really.  Its a DLC leaning forum, which is very different than libertarian.

DLC? Anyway, it's just a game. Who on this board doesn't have a few crazy beliefs?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2005, 07:31:36 PM »

I think Bono is a great choice, and it makes me even more likely to vote for John Dibble after seeing the way everyone is picking on Bono.  Anyway, I just wanted to say that I will still be giving John Dibble my first preference and I hope no one’s going to change their vote just because his Vice President wants to abolish the Federal Government (which, by the way, isn’t too bad of an idea Wink)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies