South Carolina shooter's photos found on white supremacist website
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:18:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Carolina shooter's photos found on white supremacist website
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: South Carolina shooter's photos found on white supremacist website  (Read 2328 times)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »

By a sociologist saying that the documented success achieved in reducing copycat suicides after  mental health guidelines limited their publicity by news outlets might also be applied to reducing copy cat shooters.

I again direct you to the fact that pundits always discuss radicalization by ISIS.

Is your argument seriously that we can't even talk about why this guy did this?
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2015, 07:35:21 PM by True Federalist »

By a sociologist saying that the documented success achieved in reducing copycat suicides after  mental health guidelines limited their publicity by news outlets might also be applied to reducing copy cat shooters.

I again direct you to the fact that pundits always discuss radicalization by ISIS.

Is your argument seriously that we can't even talk about why this guy did this?

In that linked article you will see suggested guidelines for reporting about mass shootings. Not sure about the policy here for reproducing articles but here goes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »

Those guidelines are not realistic in the modern era.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »

Why not? They are currently in force regarding teenage suicides and were developed in the modern era.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »

Why not? They are currently in force regarding teenage suicides and were developed in the modern era.

Let's cut to the chase: trying to blame this tragedy even in part to media coverage of Columbine and its predecessors is litterally severe-head-trauma-level stupid. End of discussion.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »

Let's cut to the chase: trying to blame this tragedy even in part to media coverage of Columbine and its predecessors is litterally severe-head-trauma-level stupid. End of discussion.

You didn't read the article in the link...did you?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »

^This.

/thread
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »

It should be noted that non Muslim right-wing white terrorists kill more Americans than Muslim terrorists.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »

You didn't read the article in the link...did you?

Sure did. But i was referring more to your ill-based implicit argument here.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »

Flying the Confederate flag should be considered an act of treason and should be dealt with accordingly. I am tired of hearing excuses for that racist and treasonous flag.

So we should outlaw speech now?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

The real question here is, given that manifesto, will the CCC finally be declared a terrorist group? They indoctrinated a terrorist.

Aren't they basically the KKK with nice suits? Why haven't they been declared a terrorist group already?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »

The real question here is, given that manifesto, will the CCC finally be declared a terrorist group? They indoctrinated a terrorist.

Aren't they basically the KKK with nice suits? Why haven't they been declared a terrorist group already?

Because "muh heritage" and "muh Southern pride"
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »

I do not support flying the Confederate flag. It is both unambiguously racist and unpatriotic/treasonous.

I think it's unhelpful to argue though that it's bad because Dylann Roof liked it.

It insults the people who like it by saying that they support murder of Black people.

Doing this is unhelpful because 1) it's not a good political strategy, such a massive insult is unlikely to win them over 2) it's not even true. Most people who like the Confederate flag don't want to kill Black people, they are just stupid.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 10:28:35 PM »

Because having repulsive opinions doesn't make you a terrorist group?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »

Yeah, CCC has never taken part in any violence. It is considered a hate group by the SPLC though. The government doesn't keep track of hate groups, at least not officially. I would hope there are some undercover FBI agents keeping tabs on them though. I'm sure there are.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »

I might be misinterpreting what they said, but haven't they basically supported a lot of KKK actions, which were terrorist actions?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2015, 03:20:48 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2015, 09:29:16 AM by pbrower2a »

I have a proposal of how to display the Confederate flag. Misery loves company, right?

Here's my modest proposal. Put it in a collection of flags of other disgraced, discredited, despised, defunct entities.

(The definitive racist, slave state)

(Needed walls to keep people from fleeing)

(Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge)

(although I would cut some slack for Gorbachev)

Does anyone miss Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu?

Paradise for the white majority, brutal dictatorship for non-whites.

Defying the sensibilities of the rest of the world, racist Rhodesia.

Mussolini's puppet state formed after Skorzeny rescued him.

Iraq under Saddam Hussein.

WWII-era puppet state of Manchukuo

Special mention: One whose demise I will be delighted to see:

The state that is a sick parody of Islam.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 01:25:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So was Charles Manson, or so he said. I don't put much stock in these people's stated justifications.

Evidence this killer is a racist: Literally everything.

Evidence that he's not: Some guy on the Internet looking for the "hidden meaning" of "I want to kill black people."

Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2015, 02:52:03 PM by Badger »

Let's see South Carolinian Republicans defend the confederate flag as a symbol of 'heritage' now.

A REPUBLICAN state senator in SC just introduced the bill to take the flag down.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 02:58:25 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2015, 03:02:14 PM by Likely Voter »

I am well aware of that, let's see how many of his GOP colleagues join him. So far both GOP Senators (one of whom is running for prez), the GOP governor and GOP representative Mark Sanford have all declined opportunities to back him up, generally endorsing the current 'compromise' leaving the battle flag at the memorial. At this point he seems to be alone within SC GOP. Also GOP presidential candidates Cruz, Huckabee, and Santorum have all said they take no position, refusing to back him up and saying it is up to the state (as if a Presidential candidate can't take any position on something being decided within a state). The only one who has come close is Bush who noted that Florida stopped flying the flag.

Mitt Romney is standing out as a shining beacon at this point, but perhaps that is because he will never have to try to get votes in the South again.

Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »

I am well aware of that, let's see how many of his GOP colleagues join him. So far both GOP Senators (one of whom is running for prez), the GOP governor and GOP representative Mark Sanford have all declined opportunities to back him up, generally endorsing the current 'compromise' leaving the battle flag at the memorial. At this point he seems to be alone within SC GOP. Also GOP presidential candidates Cruz, Huckabee, and Santorum have all said they take no position, refusing to back him up and saying it is up to the state (as if a Presidential candidate can't take any position on something being decided within a state). The only one who has come close is Bush who noted that Florida stopped flying the flag.

Mitt Romney is standing out as a shining beacon at this point, but perhaps that is because he will never have to try to get votes in the South again.

FWIW, Jeb Bush also condemned it, and the state senator who's putting forth the bill said that several of his Republican colleagues offered to co-sponsor it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »

FWIW, Jeb Bush also condemned it, and the state senator who's putting forth the bill said that several of his Republican colleagues offered to co-sponsor it.

and as noted in an aad thread, Ben Carson stood up against the flag even harder than Bush.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

I might be misinterpreting what they said, but haven't they basically supported a lot of KKK actions, which were terrorist actions?
It is and should be legal in a free society to voice support for Al Qaida. Giving material aid to a group like Al Qaida or the KKK is a different story and should be dealt with accordingly.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »

Also my point is that with these new pictures it will become much harder for people to support the flag.  We will see what happens with the legislature gets back into session, but I actually think they will vote to get rid of it. Even for GOPers, it will be hard to vote to keep it with these new photos....that was my point.

But so far I have only seen one GOPer in SC have the guts to publicly say it should go. And that is kind of tragic.

And the 2016 GOPers are (for the most part) showing a lot of cowardice. This is a moment for them to show some leadership. This is an opportunity. Hiding behind "this is a state issue so I can't really get involved" is pathetic for someone running for President.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 07:13:47 AM »

Let's see South Carolinian Republicans defend the confederate flag as a symbol of 'heritage' now.

A REPUBLICAN state senator in SC just introduced the bill to take the flag down.

Dylan Roof shows that the problem is not a Confederate flag. Did you see where he has placed the gun? A phallic object in a phallic position...

The kid looks anorexic. With boys -- that was part of the problem of Ryan Lanza, the fellow who shot up a school in Connecticut. Anorexia in boys creates or fosters mental illness. Where are the parents?

The desire to start a 'race war' is nothing new. That was the idea behind Helter Skelter (the Tate-LaBianca killings by the Manson cult. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies