South Carolina shooter's photos found on white supremacist website (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Carolina shooter's photos found on white supremacist website (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina shooter's photos found on white supremacist website  (Read 2366 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« on: June 21, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2015, 02:52:03 PM by Badger »

Let's see South Carolinian Republicans defend the confederate flag as a symbol of 'heritage' now.

A REPUBLICAN state senator in SC just introduced the bill to take the flag down.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »

I am well aware of that, let's see how many of his GOP colleagues join him. So far both GOP Senators (one of whom is running for prez), the GOP governor and GOP representative Mark Sanford have all declined opportunities to back him up, generally endorsing the current 'compromise' leaving the battle flag at the memorial. At this point he seems to be alone within SC GOP. Also GOP presidential candidates Cruz, Huckabee, and Santorum have all said they take no position, refusing to back him up and saying it is up to the state (as if a Presidential candidate can't take any position on something being decided within a state). The only one who has come close is Bush who noted that Florida stopped flying the flag.

Mitt Romney is standing out as a shining beacon at this point, but perhaps that is because he will never have to try to get votes in the South again.

FWIW, Jeb Bush also condemned it, and the state senator who's putting forth the bill said that several of his Republican colleagues offered to co-sponsor it.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:49:46 PM »

So apparently today Gov. Haley, Senators Graham and Scott and maybe some other Republicans are going to call for the flag to come down. Before these photos came out they all waffled on the issue but (as I predicted) these photos were the straw that broke the back. The flag is no longer defensible, even for GOPers. I'm just surprised it took this long.

I'm not surprised you took some good news of elected Republicans using their power in the state to do the right thing and spun it into that comment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies