So, it's time to wrap this one up.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:57:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  So, it's time to wrap this one up.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, it's time to wrap this one up.  (Read 502 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »

I may be a little vanilla (at least in public Wink), but I'm going to do something unconventional: I concede the Southern senate race to PiT, a strong leader who was one of my first friends and mentors in the game. Although our paths eventually diverged, he is an extremely capable Atlasian who will serve this region, as he has always done, with dignity and dedication.

To my supporters, thank you. The truth is, events in my life have recently shown me that my heart just isn't in it anymore. I enjoyed my brief return to the senate, but when election time came, I blew up at Griffin over our different approaches to the game, sent a total of two get-out-the-vote messages, went on a lovely three-day camping trip with my boyfriend, and realized, almost all of a sudden, that I don't care about Fantasyland anymore. I have a life now. It's time to go.

It's been three years since I found this place, and a lot has changed in the game and out. I started as a fat closeted gay Republican with all the answers. Things have turned around incredibly, and I'm leaving a much better person. Atlasia has been a big part of my life; in fact, I often joked that I learned more here than I did in university. In many ways, it's true: This place challenges you to be your best, know your stuff, and be open to different perspectives. I've loved and hated every minute of it. And it's time to turn the page.

The narcissist in me always wanted to be something more. I saw much better players (and much smarter people) like Nix and Polnut and Duke and Marokai achieve so much and earn serious respect. I've spent years looking up to them, trying to emulate them, and knowing I'd never come close. Boy, did I ever want to be president. But I have to say, although many of my goals never came to be, I am so grateful to have had the chance to work with, get to know, and in some cases even befriend, great players like the ones above. So many people, even Griffin, made this game what it was. I never imagined the friends I would make, and I'm so sorry some feel betrayed by the changes I made toward the end of my time here. I hope all of you know how much your friendship has meant over the last three years.

I probably exaggerate it in my head, and I promise I've come down a bit closer to Earth, but I'm still very proud of the things I've done in this game. From those six months that felt like six years as Federalist chairman to holding my own as an at-large senator, I hope I moved the needle in some small way. I was constantly on, constantly scheming, constantly trying to win. It often paid off. But I am so glad to finally put it to bed.

The plan for me now is pretty straightforward, in that I will serve the rest of my term and quietly deregister in a couple of weeks. I feel bad for making a spectacle of myself like this, but not saying anything wouldn't feel right. I am an Atlasian at heart. Maybe I'll reach another point in my life when I need Atlasia... But for now, I don't; and it's bittersweet to admit that it doesn't need me, either.

That being said, I'll miss this place very much. Thank you all for everything. The game's in wonderful hands.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »

Oh man, I'm not one to look up to, but thank you for those kind words.

It's important to know when to leave when your heart isn't in it anymore. That's what I did. I'm glad you've come to the realization that it's time.

Maybe we'll all come back someday, but like I said when I ducked out, all good things must come to an end. Cheesy
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »

aw Sad

good luck in your future non-atlasian endeavours, hagrid.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »

Thank you for not only your kind words, but your honesty.

There is a time for everyone when they know they're done with Atlasia and the reality that this really is just a game, we all play it for different reasons. But like all games, there's a time to stop. I came to that strong realisation myself. But thank you for your thoughtfulness and forthrightness in the Senate.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »

RIP Hagrid Sad
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »

whilst we had obvious political differences I always appreciated your ability to get things done in the Senate, you'll be missed
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:04:38 PM »

Sad I wasn't there to enjoy most of your Senate tenure, but good luck in your future friend.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »

Sad I wasn't there to enjoy most of your Senate tenure, but good luck in your future friend.

Kids, don't drink and post. Otherwise this happens ^^^. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies