Haley Barbour: CSA flag "didn't have a thing in the world to do" with shooting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:43:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Haley Barbour: CSA flag "didn't have a thing in the world to do" with shooting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Haley Barbour: CSA flag "didn't have a thing in the world to do" with shooting  (Read 2477 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 20, 2015, 09:22:21 PM »

Even if it has nothing to do with the shooting, it's still a bad thing.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:04:42 AM »

What if they were to just replace the flag in S.C. with this?

I mean, unlike the battle flag in question, this ACTUALLY is an official Confederate Flag. The battle flag has become the de facto redneck durkerdoo flag as well as the de facto KKK flag. That is the flag that has cultural connotations and purportedly hurts feelings because it is recognizable. But almost all of the arguments to ban it because "erhmagad treason!" should actually be focused on those flags which represented the government. In contrast to the recognizable battle flag, I strongly doubt that most people would be offended by this merely by seeing it. It looks an awful lot like the Texas flag after all.

Or if its bad because blah blah racist ... how about if only some States are allowed to fly it at civil war memorials? During the initial secession crisis Virginia voted not to secede. The Virginia government said, don't march troops through our State or we WILL secede. Lincoln disagreed with that proposition. Virginia then voted a second time and this time voted to secede. Doesn't sound so black and white (terrible pun I know) to me. I mean seriously, condensing a war down to "blah blah white supremacy" is pretty intellectually dishonest considering most white NORTHERNERS were also white supremacists. It's like saying WWI was solely about some Serb killing some Austrian.

Cue name-calling and race-baiting in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

What a bizarre comment. We don't want any flag associated primarily with slave holding to be flown on government property. It doesn't matter if it's the official slave holder flag that most people don't recognize or the more well known unofficial slave holder flag. Any slave holder flag is bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies