Which Romance language would you rather learn?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:52:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which Romance language would you rather learn?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Catalan

French

Italian

Latin

Portuguese

Romanian

Spanish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Which Romance language would you rather learn?  (Read 2349 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »

Uh, what? The Parisians have the reputation of being douchebags even among other French people. Tongue You must have been really lucky! Seriously though, of course there are plenty of nice people in Paris, like everywhere else.

And although I definitely like Paris and enjoyed studying there, I am about to leave it to go study at UCLA. Wink
RR1997
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »

Spanish by far. One of the most important languagees for the future of american business baring chinese.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »

Latin I guess..

Tried Spanish at my community college and hated it with a passion. I had a teacher who knew it like was second nature but she sure couldn't teach it and i was miserable in there.  May try it again one day but I want a teacher who is slow and is willing to teach it.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »

Latin, by far. I already know Italian and French.

<mega-facepalm>

why not a language that, you know, people actually speak in real life? Tongue

Maybe the knowledge of Latin would be helpful on his scholary path? Or maybe he just wants to have fun with the language. It's not like he's limited to learning just one foreign language.

I actually learn Esperanto now. You're probably going to "mega-facepalm" on me, but I needed a new hobby and I have a great time with it, so I don't care.

No, no, not at all. What could be better than spending hours and months of study to learn a language that not one person in a million can understand?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »

<mega-facepalm>

Maybe the knowledge of Latin would be helpful on his scholary path? Or maybe he just wants to have fun with the language. It's not like he's limited to learning just one foreign language.

I actually learn Esperanto now. You're probably going to "mega-facepalm" on me, but I needed a new hobby and I have a great time with it, so I don't care.

No, no, not at all. What could be better than spending hours and months of study to learn a language that not one person in a million can understand?

not everything you learn has to be ~useful~ Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »

<mega-facepalm>

not everything you learn has to be ~useful~ Smiley

True, but I'd settle for "not utterly useless". Especially if we're talking about something that takes as much time as learning a language. OK, taking an hour to learn a couple phrases for ordering a beer or cursing in Latin or Esperanto, cool and fine for $hits and grins. But to spend months to hold a conversation with, well, yourself in a mirror.....? There are a billion other more interesting useless things one could learn in that time.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »

Spanish and Catalan, with Latin as a distant 3rd.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »

I took high-school level Spanish for 5 years, culminating with my receiving a 5 on the AP Spanish Language test and receiving 15 credits, making me half-way to a Spanish language minor at OSU, which I intend to complete. Voted Spanish. (I also took Latin for two years, but that was mainly to be active in my high school's Latin Club, which many of my friends were/are part of and which is a fantastic organization).

Beyond that, probably French, as I have some friends who speak it, or maybe Portuguese, since it's a pretty widely used language.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies