Foreign Languages Taught in US Public Schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:48:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Foreign Languages Taught in US Public Schools
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of the following languages do you think should be taught in our public schools?
Spanish

French

Mandarin Chinese

Arabic

German

Italian

Portuguese

Russian

Japanese

Korean

American Sign Language

Modern Hebrew

Ancient Hebrew

Ancient Greek

Latin

other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Foreign Languages Taught in US Public Schools  (Read 2404 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2015, 06:07:04 PM by Frodo »

I only listed the top 15 languages other than English according to this site.  And you can only pick the top 5 that you think should be given the greatest emphasis.
Oak Hills
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »

Spanish, French, Mandarin, and German should be offered if possible, in addition to local Native American languages, where applicable.  (Although that last one isn't exactly "foreign".)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

As the U.S. currently is:

Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, German, and ASL.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »

Spanish, French, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian

You can make allowances for Japanese or whatever if you want, but I can't imagine the utility of teaching German or Italian.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »

Spanish, mandarin, German Russian and Latin seem the most helpful.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »

Why is there a limit to five? Shouldn't we want our children to be as knowledgeable as possible? Admittedly, with high school, you're limited to only (usually) four years to drill in the necessary knowledge, but in ideal circumstances, for those few classes that high schoolers do have as electives, they'd have virtually unlimited possibilities.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:23:37 PM »

I voted Spanish, French, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian.

Why is there a limit to five? Shouldn't we want our children to be as knowledgeable as possible? Admittedly, with high school, you're limited to only (usually) four years to drill in the necessary knowledge, but in ideal circumstances, for those few classes that high schoolers do have as electives, they'd have virtually unlimited possibilities.

In the ideal, it would be wonderful to be able to choose from all the major languages, but there are fiscal constraints. The school I went to could only afford to offer three languages (Spanish, French, and Latin); I suspect two or three is probably the norm. I think Spanish should be offered by every high school, regardless of location. The second language offered should vary by location; for example, Duluth, GA should obvious teach Korean at the high school level, schools in Arizona and New Mexico near reservations should offer Navajo classes, etc. If the school can afford a third language, I think French is the best choice considering both the number of global speakers, and the  historical interaction between the Francophone and Anglophone world which makes French literature more approachable (IMO). If there's room for a fourth class, whichever of Mandarin, Arabic, and Russian that a school can find a qualified teacher for would be good; all of those are spoken by hundreds of millions of people in.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:25:49 PM »

Voted for Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic, and Italian, as they're the most widely spoken of these languages in the US. However, as a Russophone, I'll say we're very lonely here, and it would be great to have more tovarishchi.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:58 AM »

All should be offered, and kids should have to pick two among them.

Maybe Spanish should be mandatory in NM, CA and TX.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »

I went with Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Italian, German and Latin.

Spanish is relevant in the US due to the large immigrant population. Mandarin is relevant due to China's impact on the world.

Latin can help with an understanding of the classics, and it's the foundation for other languages.

Italian is widely spoken in the US, and Germany is one of the top economies in the world.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:33 PM »

Spanish, French, German, Japanese and Latin
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:31:21 PM »

It really depends on the size of the school. My high school could never have supported more than 2-3 languages. Some of the massive suburban schools probably could support 10.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »

It depends on the area and the demand.

I voted Korean though since it is the only language I can speak conversationally.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »

Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, French, and leave the last one up to the schools themselves. Probably German most places. Japanese in Hawai'i. Somali or Hmong in Minnesota.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »

I voted Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, and Japanese. I think Spanish should be mandatory in all public schools, along with at least one of the others.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »

Spanish should probably be a full-on core subject like math or English in the U.S., while the others should definitely be taught as well. If pressed to pick, I'd say French, Mandarin, Arabic, and ASL.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »

Elective or required? I don't think any foreign language should be required.

As electives, the standard group should be Spanish, Chinese, and Hindi, as these are three most useful languages as a composite of usefulness in business and those using the language in the United States.

Additional languages should be chosen based on local inclinations combined with adequate consideration of the above standard. I think, however, that five languages would be too many for the majority of school districts in the United States. Three might be pushing it, as well.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »

Spanish, French, Chinese, Portuguese
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 12:46:27 PM »

As electives, the standard group should be Spanish, Chinese, and Hindi, as these are three most useful languages as a composite of usefulness in business and those using the language in the United States.

Nobody conducts business in Hindi.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »

Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, and maybe one of the Indian languages (Hindi?).
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »

Nobody conducts business in Hindi.

Really? I would have thought that it was rather common. I suppose I stand corrected.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »

My high school offered Spanish, French, German, and Latin, and there was a great deal of activity and interest in all four. Beyond that, some ambitious students undertook to study Mandarin Chinese and Russian at a nearby college (Kent State offers a summer program for high schoolers; originally, Arabic was also offered, but it was dropped because of a lack of interest). So, those are the six I voted for.

EDIT: So, you can only vote for 5? Dammit. Not really sure which of those should go. Didn't vote.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »

Spanish ought to be a core class. As far as other languages, standardization isn't really necessary given the cultural differences in different communities, and should be left up to individual schools.

I understand the motivation to want to teach Latin or other dead languages, but what makes these languages worthy of taking slots in high school curriculums that could be allocated to languages with much more practical usage in the 21st century?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »

Elective or required? I don't think any foreign language should be required.

You don't think all American students shouldn't have to at least learn one foreign language? That's a debate point on its own. However, it has been shown that learning another language leads to significant cognitive enhancement (see here, for example). Like I said, in our country, I think Spanish should be required and at least one other language required that would be an elective choice (ideally something very different from English, like Mandarin, Japanese, or Arabic).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »

Spanish should be required for everyone, and elective courses should include Chinese, Arabic, Russian, and French.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies