Modern Health Education Act (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Modern Health Education Act (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Modern Health Education Act (Final Vote)  (Read 4238 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
« edited: October 26, 2015, 01:45:42 PM by Classical Conservative »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor- Hagrid
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:21 PM »

I'll be happy to sponsor this bill, seeing as Hagrid has retiered upon next week. I got the HIV bill through, and I've got an interest in health
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »

ITs well developed to say the least.

I will ned to examine the finer details though a bit more closely.

My first question is what presently exists in this regard and how much are we spending on that?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »

I would be pleased to have Senator Blair sponsor.

Basically, this approach is what I would call "non-coercive Common Core." Regions are more than welcome to craft their own health curricula in school, but doing so will sadly mean they miss out on support for a revitalized program from the federal government. What's more, I believe the way I've set up this legislation provides enough wiggle room for the regions to still craft the specifics of their programs.

Mainly, the idea came from the revamped Ontario health curriculum, which has seen much controversy in recent months because it has the audacity to include planks accepting gender diversity and various sexual orientations. The four "strands" of health education comes from the Ontario curriculum, as do some of the specifics in Sections 3(2) to 3(5).

As for the current state of things in the regions, I'm not sure exactly what the learning expectations are (if we have anything on the books at all). If we find that some regions are already in compliance with the provisions of this bill, all the better... our schools could use the funds, especially for health programs as important as these ones.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »

Am I reading this wrong or are we going to be teaching our children about sex in 1st grade?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:59:11 AM »

Am I reading this wrong or are we going to be teaching our children about sex in 1st grade?

I guess it depends on whatever bureaucrat gets to define, "increasing in complexity and sensitivity by grade level".
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:16:24 AM »

Not sex, it's just about having the discussion about sexuality and its role in a modern world. Basically teaching that the nuclear family isn't the only way to go
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »

I think the slight ambiguity is acceptable since there ought to be flexibility in how the standards are interpreted.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »

3(5) could be reworked, but I don't think it's problematic. The wiggle room is a good thing that just sort of their to cover our ass. I see how it's a little problematic though, because learning about contraceptives in any sense might not be appropriate for a first grader. I see the room for change.

3(5d) is obviously the non-negotiable part for me... it's frankly what made me want to write up this legislation in the first place. Tongue

Something about appropriate online relationships might be apt too.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09:32 PM »

Section 5 should be amended to outright ban the sale of junk food on schools. There's no reason why our schools should preach healthy eating while offering them junk food. I would accept students bringing such food to school if school policy allows for it.

Amendment:

(other sections omitted for clarity/space purposes)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »

I say "limits" because I believe certain occasions justify the sale of "sometimes foods." What of bake sales or end-of-year parties?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:07:32 PM »

I say "limits" because I believe certain occasions justify the sale of "sometimes foods." What of bake sales or end-of-year parties?
Point taken. I table my previous amendment and reintroduce this one:

My intention was more so to prevent unhealthy foods from being sold as school lunches than a complete ban. So this should avoid cases where non-school authorities distribute junk food as part of special events.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 09:08:19 PM »

You must define what exceedingly unhealthy or junk food means.  Prepackaged, processed foods with a certain amount of sugars or fat?  Is no dessert allowed in the lunch?

I know the system is far different in Canada (my bf's schools had no lunch program at all).

It is too vague and subject to the interpretation of petty tyrants everywhere.

Also: many schools operate concession stands at sporting events for spectators.  No more hotdogs or popcorn at the football games?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 09:18:15 PM by New Canadaland »

I didn't have lunch program in my school either. You could buy food but it was far cheaper and convenient to bring something from food. But most of the schools which this bill pertains to do have such programs, I believe.

That's why I specified school lunch programs in my second amendment. Food offered at events that aren't meant to be meals won't be affected. And the original bill and my amendment specified that junk food is to be limited but not necessarily eliminated. Depending on the definition of junk food though, some popcorn and hot dogs may not even be classified as junk food.

I wouldn't mind the inclusion of a definition of junk food. But I don't want too precise a definition that would leave local administrators with no leeway. I'd like Hagrid to tell us what he had in mind for the definition of junk food when he drafted the bill.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »

Section 1b stipulates distribution of junk food on school property.  Most sporting events are on school property.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »

Section 1b stipulates distribution of junk food on school property.  Most sporting events are on school property.
It says they should be "limits or eliminates" which is the original text. My amendment changes nothing in that regard. That said, "limit" is not defined here although if the school boards made the choice I'd imagine almost all would go with a fairly liberal interpretation of limit rather than prohibiting it altogether.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »

I think 5 1b would have the same effect as eliminating the bake sales and so forth simply because school boards wouldn't risk losing the money and would take a "better safe then sorry approach", and it is just too easy to just ban them in this case and that is exactly what would happen with such wording.

Why would we assume school boards would take the opposite view? Just like why should we assume that the executive agencies will make a priority to discourage debt frontloading in the IBCB or that the courts will always be cautious and conservative in their operations in the Criminal Justice bill. Frankly all I keep hearing in this Senate these days are weak assumptions to justify us not stepping up and taking necessary precautions to ensure certain things are done right. Tongue There is a time in place for discretion to be allowed, but when it comes down to cutting money to force banning stuff, why on earth would we presume school boards wouldn't go overboard?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »

You could amend it to say "while school is in session".  Also, any food made at the school or central facility specifically for the school would be exempt.  Everyone needs a soft m&m cookie now and then.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 08:04:58 AM »

You could amend it to say "while school is in session".  Also, any food made at the school or central facility specifically for the school would be exempt.  Everyone needs a soft m&m cookie now and then.

Yes, those cookies are to die for, especially when they're greasy enough to melt through the napkin... Purple heart

BUT, I have to say, that's sort of why I put this clause in the bill. Isn't it a good idea to stop selling this stuff on the premises? If kids want it they can go off-property.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »

Yes, those cookies are to die for, especially when they're greasy enough to melt through the napkin... Purple heart

BUT, I have to say, that's sort of why I put this clause in the bill. Isn't it a good idea to stop selling this stuff on the premises? If kids want it they can go off-property.
Kids are not allowed off property.  And having a cookie with your lunch isn't going to kill them. 

What kills them is washing it all down with 20oz of coke or a package of powdered mini donuts that features mechanically separated beef and enough preservatives to preserve a small mammal for eternity.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 02:47:18 PM »

What about high school kids?

Obviously I agree with you on the topic of the odd treat, but I'm not sure how to draw the line.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 03:51:13 PM »

Yeah that's what my school does-it basically acts like the Jackie O of fast foods-it knows everyone buys sweet, sugary stuff off site and lets us as long as they don't serve it in school they don't mind
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »

The thing is, almost (but not every) food is healthy and even required in some amount, and unhealthy in another.

Perhaps the best way for schools to get kids eating well is a limiting of there choices. So every child chooses certain sides, a fruit, a dessert a main and so on. That way we can ensure everyone gets a balance in their diet without too much of anything. It seems to me perhaps the best way is to allow only a limited amount of food, so it's not just a case of buying as many sweets as you can.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »

On the issue of getting kids to eat healthier, schools should be cooking lunches on-site. I have seen that occasionally, but much more often I'll see prepackaged lunches shipped in from a local high school. I can only imagine how much that stuff gets packed with preservatives.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »

How much would the facilities to cook such food on site cost for said schools though?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies