What makes a country support/oppose nuclear? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:57:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What makes a country support/oppose nuclear? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What makes a country support/oppose nuclear?  (Read 1967 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: June 22, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »

Cranberry's latest series as you may have seen, had a wholly unrealistic result: a landslide victory (in Austria) for nuclear power. And that got me thinking. In the UK, Canada, the US, France and most of Scandanavia there is a fairly ephemeral movement opposing nukes; but they have never received significant attention from the public. But in, say, German speaking countries the opposition is persistent, strong and influential enough to swing elections. Why is this?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »

Nuclear opponents would be far wiser to condemn the inevitable overruns, ridiculous subsidy (that makes renewable subsidy seem cheap), rising emissions from the nuclear fuel cycle, failed promises, unsuitability for developing countries and proliferation issues IMO, but I don't blame them for going for the jugular.

The comparison between nukes and nuclear bombs is a bit silly (unless you're going for a proliferation argument like we do with Iran, and could be made with this latest Insia deal), but could explain a lot of countries' residual opposition (especially in Japan, I would guess Hiroshima is an evocative image for that country's anti-nuke activists).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies