Gov. Haley: "It's time to move the [CSA] flag from the Capitol grounds"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:57:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov. Haley: "It's time to move the [CSA] flag from the Capitol grounds"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gov. Haley: "It's time to move the [CSA] flag from the Capitol grounds"  (Read 2599 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:49:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »

The only politically viable thing to do.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:03:52 AM »

The only politically viable thing to do.

I've seen this site use that as an insult when they don't like the politician and then brush it off as a "duh" response when they like a politician.

Regardless, great decision by Governor Haley.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 12:55:46 AM »

It's easier to remove a flag than deal with the gun issue. Which is why they are falling over themselves.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 01:22:29 AM »

It's easier to remove a flag than deal with the gun issue. Which is why they are falling over themselves.
We already dealt with the gun issue this year, eliminating the ability of those convicted of domestic violence to legally own guns despite the opposition of the gun lobby.  Based on what's known so far, I don't see what law could have been in place that could have prevented this that wouldn't have infringed the second amendment rights of people who are neither criminal or crazy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 01:23:53 AM »

We already dealt with the gun issue this year, eliminating the ability of those convicted of domestic violence to legally own guns despite the opposition of the gun lobby.  Based on what's known so far, I don't see what law could have been in place that could have prevented this that wouldn't have infringed the second amendment rights of people who are neither criminal or crazy.

That's the gun issue.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 02:14:01 AM »

That's the gun issue.

And the last time South Carolina decided to ignore the Constitution gave us the flag issue.  The second amendment is a fact of life no single state could do anything about by itself, even if wanted to.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:46:49 AM »

Instead of having to go through a controversial vote on this, wouldn't it be easier for everyone if there were, say, an accident.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:57:55 AM »

Instead of having to go through a controversial vote on this, wouldn't it be easier for everyone if there were, say, an accident.

Sometimes, when you're just taking a smoke outside the South Carolina Capitol, and you know, you just happen to flick your cigarette 30ft into the air, and sometimes, some kinds of fabric just happen to react, you know?  Especially when somebody else just accidentally splashed kerosene on it while climbing a nearby ladder, but I mean, how on earth are you supposed to prepare for terrible coincidences like that?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 06:02:29 AM »

That's the gun issue.

Yeah, a lot of rights are issues to some.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »

Yeah removing the flag will end racism and stop nutjobs like that kid.   Roll Eyes 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2015, 10:45:50 AM by Mechaman »

Meaningless if even well intentioned act.

Yeah removing the flag will end racism and stop nutjobs like that kid.   Roll Eyes  

Congratulations on winning the Mechaman National Sarcasm Award of the Week Gramps.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the Confederate flag.  Even without all of the bad history behind it it still looks fugly and should only be used to wipe your ass with.  However, it is quite telling that the first reaction here is to think that getting rid of a flag that represents the army of a nation that has been dead for 150 years is going to solve ANYTHING in regards to race relations.  All Haley doing is giving the proper useless politically correct reaction instead of moving forward anything meaningfull that can address race relations in America.  This is part of the reason why I bash well intentioned PC clowns: it has nothing to do with whether or not I believe certain words are perfectly okay and acceptable to say in general company, it has everything to do with how damn useless and unproductive I find such crusades in tackling the real issues.  The problem of white racism against non-whites goes back much further than the existence of the stars and bars and using "correct terms".  It is systematic and endemic to the nature of American society itself.  The existence of a Confederate flag, a dead flag, on the front lawn of the South Carolina capitol building did not turn Dylan Roof into a violent white racist thug.  The existence of white privilege and supremacy, concepts going back to the earliest years that this continent was settled and the ancestors of non-whites were largely wiped out by Old World diseases and then enslaved, are so well built into our society that it would take more than a half ass somersault to jig them out of our systems.  Of course, many upper class white people, the people who write the history books and set the media tone, don't want to even confront the class war implications at the root of the problem because it ruins their narrative to pretend that it is just an issue that predominates in states with Ten Commandment tablets and flags of dead nations on their Supreme Court lawns, instead of a nationwide problem that is a condemnation of the state capitalist banker controlled system that they worship with masturbatory fury.

Yes, sage, but necessary rant is necessary.
rdrakes42
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »

I have no doubts that the SC House probably has the votes to pass this. If it dies it will die in the Senate (and things will probably get nasty there).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »

Yeah removing the flag will end racism and stop nutjobs like that kid.   Roll Eyes  

Congratulations on winning the Mechaman National Sarcasm Award of the Week Gramps.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the Confederate flag.  Even without all of the bad history behind it it still looks fugly and should only be used to wipe your ass with.  However, it is quite telling that the first reaction here is to think that getting rid of a flag that represents the army of a nation that has been dead for 150 years is going to solve ANYTHING in regards to race relations.  All Haley doing is giving the proper useless politically correct reaction instead of moving forward anything meaningfull that can address race relations in America.  This is part of the reason why I bash well intentioned PC clowns: it has nothing to do with whether or not I believe certain words are perfectly okay and acceptable to say in general company, it has everything to do with how damn useless and unproductive I find such crusades in tackling the real issues.  The problem of white racism against non-whites goes back much further than the existence of the stars and bars and using "correct terms".  It is systematic and endemic to the nature of American society itself.  The existence of a Confederate flag, a dead flag, on the front lawn of the South Carolina capitol building did not turn Dylan Roof into a violent white racist thug.  The existence of white privilege and supremacy, concepts going back to the earliest years that this continent was settled and the ancestors of non-whites were largely wiped out by Old World diseases and then enslaved, are so well built into our society that it would take more than a half ass somersault to jig them out of our systems.  Of course, many upper class white people, the people who write the history books and set the media tone, don't want to even confront the class war implications at the root of the problem because it ruins their narrative to pretend that it is just an issue that predominates in states with Ten Commandment tablets and flags of dead nations on their Supreme Court lawns, instead of a nationwide problem that is a condemnation of the state capitalist banker controlled system that they worship with masturbatory fury.

Cop out. Why not fight institutional racism AND take down the flag and not call people the N word?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »

Sellout.

I think the people's voice in that state should take precedence over RINO Haley's national ambitions and desire to appease a hostile liberal press.

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/613042957600448512

Now up to SC residents to call state legislators.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »

Sellout.

I think the people's voice in that state should take precedence over RINO Haley's national ambitions and desire to appease a hostile liberal press.

Hate to say it but he has a point here.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »

Cop out. Why not fight institutional racism AND take down the flag and not call people the N word?

Fair enough, but a lot of the people focus too much on the latter that it detracts from a lot of the efforts to address the former.  I do not casually refer to black people as the bad word, nor do I fly a Confederate flag from my house.  MY concern is largely that, again, the former issue is often overlooked when we focus too much on the latter.

And really, the DO NOT SAY THAT WORD!!!!! campaigns do jack shit.  If there are studies to prove me wrong, I would love to see them but from what I can see many people are still casually saying slurs when they think no one is around.

More to the point, tackling the former more is the only way you can fix the latter.  White people won't stop viewing non-whites as "lessors" and thus compelled to label them as such until institutional racism and classism are fixed.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

Sellout.

No he doesn't
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »

Sellout.

No he doesn't
Yes he does, This I just Nikki Haley showing what a spineless coward she is, If she actually gave a crap about the issue it would not have taken the deaths of those people to spur her to action.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »

This I just Nikki Haley showing what a spineless coward she is, If she actually gave a crap about the issue it would not have taken the deaths of those people to spur her to action.

Amen, sis.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »

I don't really have a pro or anti position when it comes to the confederate battle flag. I do have an opinion about kneejerk reactions against the left's latest media generated outrage.

They can't atleast wait until the victims are buried and given a proper service before they start with the politicization.  It's extremely upsetting.  And it's more upsetting to see Republicans play into it.

The confederate flag wasn't flying in Baltimore or Chicago.  And yet the violence continues and escalates there, while Charleston mourns in racial unity in a way that should inspire the nation.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »

Sellout.

In what ed up world is opposing flying a treasonous flag based on a slave economy a "RINO" stance?!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »

Sellout.

In what ed up world is opposing flying a treasonous flag based on a slave economy a "RINO" stance?!

Especially since the Republican Party was originally founded to oppose slavery and later the Confederacy.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 03:51:05 PM »

Taking the banner of treason and slavery down is, quite literally, the least Haley & co. can do. 

Don't get me wrong, it's better than keeping it up, but I'm not about to hand them any gold stars for doing one tiny symbolic thing 150 years too late.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »

Taking the banner of treason and slavery down is, quite literally, the least Haley & co. can do. 

Don't get me wrong, it's better than keeping it up, but I'm not about to hand them any gold stars for doing one tiny symbolic thing 150 years too late.
She could have even addressed that...but instead she spent half her address tripping over herself "we have to do this but its not all bad cuz heritage and private property *wink wink*"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies