Gov. Haley: "It's time to move the [CSA] flag from the Capitol grounds"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:22:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov. Haley: "It's time to move the [CSA] flag from the Capitol grounds"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gov. Haley: "It's time to move the [CSA] flag from the Capitol grounds"  (Read 2570 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »

Question for the non-northerners on here: How did the Confederate flag last this long as an icon? Isn't flying it a bit like flying a swastika? Isn't it a voice of support for a pro-slavery armed rebellion?

I mean, it's really irrelevant to the shooting, but I have to ask.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »

Question for the non-northerners on here: How did the Confederate flag last this long as an icon? Isn't flying it a bit like flying a swastika? Isn't it a voice of support for a pro-slavery armed rebellion?

Was secession unconstitutional?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

Transplant here, but lived long enough in the South to understand this.  There are multiple reasons. First, Americans fought and died in the Confederate Army, so in that sense compare this to Russians who display the Soviet flag in commemorations of WW2, even if they aren't actually wanting to go back to Communism.  That's not as far back in time, but historical memorializing doesn't always depend on chronology.  From the late 19th century up until the Civil Rights Era, the Civil War tended to be thought of both in the North and in the South as a war between brothers, not as loyalists vs traitors. That view has continued in the South.  The flag has become a symbol of a region with a strong identity, without an explicit focus on the historical event.  And then there is the uglier side of its use as a way of supporting segregationist politics while simultaneously telling the Yankees to get out and mind their own business. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »

Sellout.

I think the people's voice in that state should take precedence over RINO Haley's national ambitions and desire to appease a hostile liberal press.

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/613042957600448512

Now up to SC residents to call state legislators.
Hate to say it but he has a point here.
Because of course, only politicians might change their mind since that poll was taken last November.  Only the tweet was this week.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »

Transplant here, but lived long enough in the South to understand this.  There are multiple reasons. First, Americans fought and died in the Confederate Army, so in that sense compare this to Russians who display the Soviet flag in commemorations of WW2, even if they aren't actually wanting to go back to Communism.  That's not as far back in time, but historical memorializing doesn't always depend on chronology.  From the late 19th century up until the Civil Rights Era, the Civil War tended to be thought of both in the North and in the South as a war between brothers, not as loyalists vs traitors. That view has continued in the South.  The flag has become a symbol of a region with a strong identity, without an explicit focus on the historical event.  And then there is the uglier side of its use as a way of supporting segregationist politics while simultaneously telling the Yankees to get out and mind their own business. 

Indeed, the use of the AoNVa flag to represent Confederate soldiers predates the Civil Rights era, but as an emblem of the South, it was appropriated by Southern racists during that era. It's a combination of its use by non-Southern racists and the availability of non-tainted symbols of Southern distinctiveness, such as country music and NASCAR that have caused its perception to shift, probably irretrievably.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:52 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2015, 10:17:29 PM by RG Griff »

The Post and Courier is asking every member of the SC legislature whether the flag should be removed or not. It will need 2/3 in both chambers to be removed. The tentative results are:

SC House
Yes: 78
No: 9
Undecided: 10
Refused: 6
Has Not Responded: 20

% Yes: 63%

SC Senate
Yes: 33
No: 2
Undecided: 2
Refused: 5