Romney shows courage, Santorum cops out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:55:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Romney shows courage, Santorum cops out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney shows courage, Santorum cops out  (Read 2128 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »

Good on Mitt and all the other elected Republicans to call for that flag to come down.

Why someone like Santorum or Huckabee would even waffle on removing a racist flag that commemorates a bunch of treasonous Southern Democrats seceding is beyond me, but what can you expect from those dorks?
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 05:21:23 AM »

The way most Republican contenders behave, they want to have the luxury of indulging the ideological purists at all costs, just to win votes.  These purists are so fanatic,  they prefer to lose elections than recognize, that holding the levers of power is where the real difference occurs.  Jeb Bush for example is a prime example of courage and guts by a mile. His position on emigration, Common core while not popular with the base, demonstrates gutsy principle over pandering.  It's the stuff which separates the men from the boy's. Bush has chutzpah on a par with Ronald Reagan.
rdrakes42
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 07:08:14 AM »

The way most Republican contenders behave, they want to have the luxury of indulging the ideological purists at all costs, just to win votes.  These purists are so fanatic,  they prefer to lose elections than recognize, that holding the levers of power is where the real difference occurs.  Jeb Bush for example is a prime example of courage and guts by a mile. His position on emigration, Common core while not popular with the base, demonstrates gutsy principle over pandering.  It's the stuff which separates the men from the boy's. Bush has chutzpah on a par with Ronald Reagan.

Yes I too am worried about illegal emigration, people ought to be forced to stay here, even if it is in chains. I wonder if there is a word for that.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 10:05:36 AM »

Santorum isnt the only one who copped out to the state thing, so did Walker, Huckabee, Perry, Cruz, Jindal, Rubio and even Carson. Kasich said it should be left to the state but if he was voting he would vote to remove. Originally Graham defended the confederate flag saying it was 'part of who we are' in SC, but today (after pressure) he joined the gov in saying it should go.  Bush came the closest to saying it should go by pointing out how it was taken down in Florida. Also Pataki called for it to come down (if anyone noticed)

But in the end when you look at the reluctance by many of them to call the attack racially motivated and the reluctance to take a stand on the flag, the GOP field hasn't shown real leadership.

Yep. Santourm doesn't deserve all the heat when the entire Republican 2016 field has looked cowardly this whole week. Even Kasich pussied out a bit by including the obvious qualifier that it's up to South Carolina and undermining the moral clarity of the issue. A pathetic lot.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »

I agree most of the Republican field is pathetic and are totally unqualified to be a candidate, let alone a nominee, and most certainly not a President.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »

Yes I too am worried about illegal emigration, people ought to be forced to stay here, even if it is in chains. I wonder if there is a word for that.

Me too. Let's keep the brains.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »

Santorum isnt the only one who copped out to the state thing, so did Walker, Huckabee, Perry, Cruz, Jindal, Rubio and even Carson. Kasich said it should be left to the state but if he was voting he would vote to remove. Originally Graham defended the confederate flag saying it was 'part of who we are' in SC, but today (after pressure) he joined the gov in saying it should go.  Bush came the closest to saying it should go by pointing out how it was taken down in Florida. Also Pataki called for it to come down (if anyone noticed)

But in the end when you look at the reluctance by many of them to call the attack racially motivated and the reluctance to take a stand on the flag, the GOP field hasn't shown real leadership.

Yep. Santourm doesn't deserve all the heat when the entire Republican 2016 field has looked cowardly this whole week. Even Kasich pussied out a bit by including the obvious qualifier that it's up to South Carolina and undermining the moral clarity of the issue. A pathetic lot.

Kasich said he'd vote to remove it if he were in the SC Senate, the same as every Democrat who's spoken up.  The double standards are getting really annoying.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »

Well, based on this, it looks like Romney will crush Santorum for the 2012 GOP nomination.

I love it.

As do I.  Romney epitomizes leadership, while the Republican field, including Santorum, dithers.

the 2012 election sadly will have serious consequences maybe not for me and you but our kids and grand kids. Romney was the clear and obvious choice on so many levels. Oh well, hes a great man with a great family. His comments are exactly what I would expect from him, pure class.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »

Well, based on this, it looks like Romney will crush Santorum for the 2012 GOP nomination.

Ebowed! Boy that takes me back a decade. Good to see you Smiley
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »

Kasich said he'd vote to remove it if he were in the SC Senate, the same as every Democrat who's spoken up.  The double standards are getting really annoying.

No double standard. I gave Romney credit.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/06/21/candidates-share-different-opinions-on-south-carolinas-controversial-confederate-flag.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/24/us/politics/hillary-clinton-says-confederate-flag-shouldnt-fly-anywhere.html?_r=0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not about the policy. Everyone understands the president of the United States can't ban the flag. It's about the moral clarity in your reaction to a terrorist attack. And if you can't see the difference between Hillary's answer and meekly qualifying that it's not up to me and implying if they feel differently and want to flag, that's OK too, you're the one with a double standard.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies