--- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)  (Read 2767 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »

Fellow Atlasians, would you like me to take command?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by Mi ne scias »

If you're going to argue that such scenario is 100% impossible (which I disagree), I respect your opinion. But I'll not agree that creating an unconventional event is ridiciolous. This is just a bloody game with diffrent realities than RL. If you want the same cliche all the way, then sorry, but we won't agree.

The only way I'd resign is if the President and majority of Senators indicate I should.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 05:30:05 PM »

There's chaos in the Pacific region gaining massive media attention. Wouldn't it be unrealistic for a foreign enemy to not attack in this moment of weakness?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »

I echo the comments of Vice President Nix. What incentive does North Korea, a nation that can barely keep its electric grid running, have to launch a nuclear FIRST STRIKE against the most powerful nation on Earth?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »

Look, the thing is that I've been trying my best to revive the office of Game Moderator. I won't of course claim that I was free of making mistakes in the process, but I believe that it's my job to provide tough challenges for the administration and plot twists. Beside, Atlasia is currently in such a chaos that maybe some shock like this is warranted.

If you want this to be just a game about casting and getting votes, that's a valid point. In such case abolish the office of GM entirely or appoint someone who would do nothing except presenting a budget once a year.

I'm not going to pull SirDick here. The President has been just reelected and if he wants someone low-ley as GM, I'd honor his wishes and resign.

@ TNF: There were developments that can explain this, but obviously you don't read the news source.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

It's kind of difficult to respond appropriately when you suddenly get nuked for no clear reason.

There's chaos in the Pacific region gaining massive media attention. Wouldn't it be unrealistic for a foreign enemy to not attack in this moment of weakness?

It's suicidal for someone to nuke the world's largest economy and army which also has roaming nukes that can not be hit and can attack you easily, no matter the internal situation. I do get that North Korea acquiring nukes was mentioned earlier but I don't think that changes the calculus.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »

North Korea isn't exactly known for its rational thinking.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »

Just a few words of explanation: there's been considerable chaos in NK after KJU's death and there were intelligence reports that Russia might be supplying NK with additional nuclear devices. Attack from NK, if it's NK (after disabling Alaska warning station and NORAD facility present informations are sketchy), could very well have been supported or even inspired from outside.

And I'd like to repeat that I'm placing myself at the President's disposal.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Look, the thing is that I've been trying my best to revive the office of Game Moderator. I won't of course claim that I was free of making mistakes in the process, but I believe that it's my job to provide tough challenges for the administration and plot twists. Beside, Atlasia is currently in such a chaos that maybe some shock like this is warranted.
Isn't this a little extreme, though? There are plenty of ways to make the game more interesting without starting a nuclear war.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »

Isn't this a little extreme, though? There are plenty of ways to make the game more interesting without starting a nuclear war.

Unfortunately, few things seems to work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »

Look guys, I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I'm not going to stay up all night and continue to debate this. Obviously this development haven't worked out and I take full responsibility for this. Since it doesn't seem I have confidence required to continue to serve as Game Moderator, I will step down but before that, as my last act, I'm nullyfying this whole thing.

For those who feel I failed at my job, I'm sorry. I've tried by best.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »

Yeah, Cynic did a great job with the position and his performance was met with near-universal acclaim. I'm not sure what a nuclear attack, assassination attempts, or repeated rebellions are supposed to achieve aside from demonstrating how bored you are.

I don't think it's entirely fair, Nix. At least it engaged the administration. Beside, given that Atlasia experienced a civil war before (and now we have a Pacific crisis, which started without any inspiration from the GM), period of unrests is plausible. Plus, I've produced a detailed foreign affairs updates, which hasn't been done for a quite time. That too have an administration reason to engage in something else than domestic policy.

I can accept the fiasco of the nuclear attack event, but I'll defend my previous work.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »

Yeah, Cynic did a great job with the position and his performance was met with near-universal acclaim. I'm not sure what a nuclear attack, assassination attempts, or repeated rebellions are supposed to achieve aside from demonstrating how bored you are. Stories like these are dramatic but not particularly interesting or engaging for other players. They're not even related to anything that the game's players have done. It's just chaos for the sake of chaos, and most Atlasians will ignore if just as they've ignored the last half dozen stories that have no connection to anything that real people have done.

I wasn't perfect and neither was Kal, but I know his heart was in the right place, better than Nick's at least. I think Kal did as good a job as one could do and if there was anything negative about it, it was that he'd feel bored. The next GM has a bit of a mess to clean up, so I wish that person luck just as I wished Kal luck when I had to resign. It's a tough job, he did his best, and we at least owe him that.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 08:29:41 PM »

Go on with the nuclear attacks and re create the entire game from zero.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »

Go on with the nuclear attacks and re create the entire game from zero.

i'm not against this idea
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »

What's ridiculous is the fact that the public - yet again - thinks it even has the right to challenge the stories presented by the GM. At least I am vindicated in my prediction: when Simfan challenged the Chinese alien storyline, he opened Pandora's box for everyone to get sand in their vaginas every time something they don't like or agree with happens. Get over yourselves.

Yes, Kalwejt has a propensity for destruction and it can be a bit irritating at times - I myself have been sued by Fred Trump and thrown into jail for 48 hours for inciting a riot - but yet here I am, defending him, because I know all too well how this game is filled with nothing but a bunch of ungrateful a**holes who demand activity and stories, and then end up never following them...unless of course they disagree with them, in which case they deny their existence or blame the messenger.

Kal has arguably been the best GM we have had in a long time. Let us remember that your, the public's, judgement on the quality of GMs as of late has a track record that approaches near zero. Sirnick effectively assassinated a sitting Atlasian President, amended the story only because he presumably realized that you cannot kill off a sitting player President - after he had it all planned out days in advance to "make DemPGH's life miserable" - and then how do you all respond when the bastard was fired? "Off with the President's head!", with 90% disapproval of the President's actions, forcing him to resign. Of course, all of that was just part of a greater ongoing narrative at the time, but I digress.

Practically NONE of you have the right to talk shit about Sirnick, because the worst thing he ever did in this game while a citizen and officeholder was the one thing you all tacitly approved of and supported when a duly-elected President tried to rid us of a terrorist after he blew up the White House. It was only months later that most of you jumped on the anti-Sirnick bandwagon when it was cool to do so; you don't have a right to complain about sirnick now, and you don't have a right to complain about Kalwejt's behavior, either. At least, if you don't want to be a bunch of f[inks]ing hypocrites.

The GM only draws legitimacy from the act of the people supporting the concept that he or she has powers in this game that are above and beyond anyone else's say (except of course, the President's, but you all went ahead and watered down the office even more by giving that power to a dysfunctional Senate as I recall). You want mob rule over what the GM does and doesn't do, with the privilege of ignoring the GM most of the time anyway. It doesn't work that way. No GM (and it's evident that it wasn't just me) is going to stick around long with people acting in such a fashion.

So Kalwejt is now being shunned and ignored for his story-lines going too far. Dr. Cynic was ignored when he made a typo (that he decided to stick with anyway) that stated inflation was either 10 or 100 times that of what it should have been. Sirnick was forced to backtrack as well, because he would have been ignored (that was a circumstance where it was obviously justified; he clearly overstepped and the action of killing a player President wasn't capable of being followed by the game). Simfan got bit in the ass by his own set precedent when people ignored his calendar idea and overrode him. I got ignored because I tried to create a story arc that combined perfectly plausible but odd situations (not to mention multiple times where I got pushback on cost estimates). That doesn't even touch the general avoidance of stories and stats in this game issued by GMs in general. This is the world that you, the public, have created.

I tried to set my own precedent, by eliminating the concept that the GM isn't there primarily to provide cost estimates. If you want someone who's just there to give you figures and stats on something that half of you are going to debate the legitimacy of anyway, then take your lazy asses to Google and figure it out there: it'll have just as much of an applicable effect in the end, anyway.

You all killed the office of GM through avoidance arguably years ago, through dissent even more arguably last year, and through multiple statute "reforms" that weakened its influence and reach over the past year, but Kalwejt was perhaps the one person who I believed might be able to salvage what was otherwise a dead concept. Now you all have forced him to resign.

Why don't you all try consistency for once, and keep your mouth shuts and pretend that you didn't even notice like you almost always do? None of you deserve a GM as good as Kalwejt, so if you're going to keep this up, then go ahead, abolish the GM position, and make this the "game's so-called God".
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 09:04:22 PM »

I don't know dick about Atlasia's history, but, you guys got the chance to collectively respond to nuclear strikes and then whined that it wasn't realistic? You're pretending to be a country online.

God damn, embrace the weird, have some fun. President bore lives up to his name I guess.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »

While I disagree with some his arguments, I believe Griffin has several valid points. Kalwejt is easily one of the best Game Moderators we've had in recent times, and he has tried his best to create an environment in which we can react and interact with events and NPC's rather that the same endless repetitions of running for and holding office with no meaningful consecuences.

Over the past months several people have worked to reform the mechanisms of the Game Moderator office in order to address what seemed to be the problem, but helpful as those reforms are (in my own perception anyway) it seems to me that the actual problem comes from all of us. We find it very easy to demand new events and action from the GM, yet most ignore, disregard or complain when something is actually done.

If anything, what needs to be changed is not the Game Moderators and the mechanisms of their offices, it is our own behavior towards the office, which has been highly disrespectful (to say the least) over the past year.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »

I've only been here a few months, so my knowledge of past GMs is limited, but Kalwejt was unquestionably a great one. Leaving aside the current debacle, his story lines have added a much needed sense of urgency to the game and, crucially, challenged officeholders to do more than pursue endless pet projects. Its true that not everyone was paying attention, but those of us that were appreciated his dedication.

To that end, Griffin and Lumine are right in saying that the public needs to respect the GM's actions. That does not mean, however, that the GM should have a pass to do outlandish, ridiculous things for the heck of it. Terrorist insurgencies, economic upheaval, and separatist movements are one thing: all of these happen regularly in the real world and are a natural byproduct of instability like what we saw last October. Giving the GM the authority to trigger an apocalypse, however, is another matter. And, despite what some may say, starting a nuclear war is not the only alternative to inactivity.

The public needs to respect the GM, but the GM also needs to earn that respect by maintaining at least a minimal degree of realism in his story-lines. Prior to this incident, I would say that Kalwejt has done that, and his resignation should not prevent future GMs from playing an active role in the future.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »

I really am sorry this happened to Kal. It'll probably happen to whoever takes the office in the future. You're either ignored or run out of town and the job is a grind when you're trying to crunch numbers and if you're like me and not terribly good at the math side of things, it can be hell.

I dunno if the office is going to survive now. But if the game really is just all about running and winning elections, then I'm sorry, but I just find that idea boring. I supported Kal's story, even if he went over the top. I wanted to at least see where it went.

My own passion for this game has reached a very low ebb, so maybe it's time for a break for me. We need to decide now what this game should be.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »

I would suggest the president finds someone pretty damned good for GM.  And I wish him luck getting the votes for approval in the senate.

Or should Nix just write the story?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »

oh FFS.

I didn't jump for joy at the nuclear attack story-i'll be honest. I thought it was a bit far fetched but that's the job of the GM. Let's look at history-did Bush get to rewind 9/11, did FDR get to say no to Pearl Harbour? We can't cherry pick the stuff we like and the stuff we don't like.

Kal was a good, and active GM-that's what we need in games like this. It's funny because the old point, releasing economic figures is completely ignored by people-I think I was the only person to mention the rioting in a native American city... we can't just expect the GM to be a lifeless turd.

We had 180 odd people vote in the last election, yet we're going through a chronic bout of inactivity. People can't complain about this game being inactive/boring etc if we complain when something happens. We can't just keep passing petty game reform, or obscure legislation (something I love doing) without accepting the big stuff. We can't pick and choose what parts of the GM's story we have
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 02:16:33 AM »

Kal was a good, and active GM-that's what we need in games like this. It's funny because the old point, releasing economic figures is completely ignored by people-I think I was the only person to mention the rioting in a native American city... we can't just expect the GM to be a lifeless turd.

Well Nix has already admitted (whether intentionally or not) that he wants to sabotage the role of GM because he doesn't believe it should exist, so we obviously shouldn't be listening to him on future matters when it comes to the role of GM. Furthermore, I'm not sure what sort of game he wants this to be when there can't be a "glorified interactive timeline"; without a GM doing storylines to simulate repercussions of policy/actions and without the GM issuing any cost estimates for policy - we assume he supports this because it is a policy he continued as GM - then I suppose the game will just consist of what he enjoys to do: affecting policy for the sake of being able to brag that you affected policy until you have the Wiki's longest page!

Also, while I haven't consulted with anyone in the administration on the matter since it unfolded, I can't imagine anyone likes to see a member of the cabinet start a resignation petition against another member of the cabinet.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2015, 03:01:17 AM »

I support the GM's existence. I mean some already think we live in a bubble, but this would only confirm it and allow our worst excesses to run amok. I think unfortunately for Kal, despite many months of good work, he clearly became bored. Part of it was due to some not taking him updates into consideration in their work, as a senator, I must take my share of responsibility for that. But at the same time, when updates become more unrealistic and more extreme, it becomes harder and harder to reconcile what you're doing and the what, for a time, appeared a never-ending torrent of bloodshed and D-R-A-M-A.

I think Kal's decision to resign was the right one, only because, as a game, you shouldn't stay in a position you're clearly resenting and finding a waste of time and energy. I personally think if you cannot generate interest or excitement for this without resorting to stunts and the aforementioned D-R-A-M-A, then you need to reconsider why you're here, this is especially true for bored newbies. Your mettle will be tested far more by how you manage the boring times, not how you make times exciting.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »

I can say, that, as president I've had some really fun and challenging times thanks to Kalwejt, namely the terrorist uprising, the mark hopper incident and others because there is not a simple response to them, you have to think about what to do and weigh up different choices. It helped that the events were  realistic so people believed them.

That said, there are other types of events that are either realistic but there is only one choice, like a mass shooting which you have to say "my thoughts are with the family, we will overcome this etc" or a terrorist attack where you respond by saying a similar thing and so on. I think a GM story needs to not only be realistic but something that forces you to make a choice.

On the other hand we do need to accept this is a game and involves a willing suspension of disbelief. I'm not a president, no one here is a senator and we can't pass bills that change the world. But we pretend to because that's the game. When something which just doesn't make sense, even in fantasyland, happens, then that suspension is lost, with all that entails.

I get the point that the GM is not respected enough and the only time people jump up is when he resigns or goes over the top. But I'm fond of the God analogy for the GM, we have to have him because he's necessary to say not all things are permitted. But like God, there are still basic laws that constrain him. He can't make a circle a square, for example.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies