--- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:56:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)  (Read 2813 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 07:10:36 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

First of all, no.

Secondly, the GM is an appointed figure by your superior and has historically been considered part of the team, at least up until the point that the President no longer had sole discretion about his ability to continue serving the country. It's close enough to be considered cabinet - and despite the asterisk on the Wiki - our forefathers felt it related enough to be included on the Cabinet page.

Thirdly: The word "petition" can also mean "a request made for something desired, especially a respectful or humble request, as to a superior or to one of those in authority; a supplication or prayer" and/or "something that is sought by request or entreaty". You are referring to "a formally drawn request, often bearing the names of a number of those making the request, that is addressed to a person or group of persons in authority or power, soliciting some favor, right, mercy, or other benefit", which can also be its definition, though not the one I used here.

You petitioned - made a request for something desired, though not respectful or humble at all, to someone who on the matter was your superior and in authority - for the resignation of Kalwejt.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »

I've always considered myself a part of the cabinet. It's true the President no longer can simply dismiss the GM, but he can't dismiss the VP neither.

In his messages to the cabinet Bore always included me and I've been exchanging messages with either the cabinet as whole or interested members. I think that's a good practice and hope it will be continued under my successor. The only member of the team I wasn't interacting with was Nix and that's only because he was less than interested.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »

Well, fwiw, I thought Kalwejt was doing a fine job until the nuke fiasco, but even that did not seem to be directed at anyone or with the thought of getting someone. Might have been an expression of frustration or boredom. So, be that as it may, I don't know.

I always thought that the GM faces unrealistic expectations and monumental challenges. That's because there's no RL equivalent or model of behavior, like there is for literally every other position here. Everything here is based on RL except that. I guess if there is a RL equivalent of the GM it would be all the world's leaders and heads of the financial sector! Throw in the randomness of nature to boot. So what do you do? If you're too outlandish, you end up in hot water over that. If you're boring, no one pays attention. Or, if the GM is basically an unstable person, ahem, he'll use the position to "get" people with crazy, relentless abandon. 

My own personal thought was that the GM should be more of a lead economist, because there's a RL equivalent there, but few were interested in approaching it that way, and then let the secretaries react to or report RL news, but somehow it just never worked out that way. For me people were either contrarian or else couldn't get on the same page, so I don't think there are any clear, easy answers here. If you're GM, you're faced with a lot of dilemmas and a job description that is as vast as the cosmos.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »

Игра работала в прошлом без ГМа, и игра будет работать в будущем без ГМа. Понятие, что нам надо ГМ или бюджет — пагубное.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 07:22:55 PM »

Игра работала в прошлом без ГМа, и игра будет работать в будущем без ГМа. Понятие, что нам надо ГМ или бюджет — пагубное.

GM добавляет непредсказуемости , который что-то , что добавляет к удовольствие от игры . Просто потому, что технически может работать без него не значит, что мы не должны иметь GM .
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 01:21:36 AM »

This game needs a complete reboot. A new game with a new constitution, no laws, no history- the records wiped clear. It's obvious that after 11 years people have run out of stuff to do.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »

This game needs a complete reboot. A new game with a new constitution, no laws, no history- the records wiped clear. It's obvious that after 11 years people have run out of stuff to do.

Xahar has been talking about a reset for some time and I tend to agree.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2015, 03:51:21 AM »

For years, the Game Manager was colloquially referred to as "God". He has the ability to effect broad and sweeping changes to the game world. We entrusted him with this ability in order to make Atlasia a more interesting place. To denounce him for doing what he's supposed to do is the ridiculous thing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:03 AM »

I stand by my comments. The problem with Kal simulating a nuclear attack on Atlasia isn't that it's interesting and weird; it's that events like that (or alien invasions, or whatever twisted magical realism sh!t Sirnick was trying to pull last fall) are so out there that there's not much that anyone can do in response, aside from waiting for the GM's next update. The entire game becomes less accessible, less interactive, and more dependent on a single person.

You see, while I can't speak for other GMs, my goal was precisely to encourage people to respond and engage: that is to provide challenges. I've been always trying to give the people, and especially the administration, a time and opportunity to react.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The GM doesn't have a policymaking powers. I couldn't change anything in political life, that's for the elected officeholders and the other cabinet members, because they have a legitimacy. However providing a simulation is an entirely diffrent matters.

I can't completely agree with your position about certain limitations. A lot of folks can testify to my willingness to listen to suggestion and corrections. But the GM must have certain freedom of action. In real life, the people simply doesn't have control over, let's say, weather. You can't just say "this tornado is ridiculous, let's nullify this". The GM is to provide an events that are beyond anybody else control.

Look, I'm not defending the whole nuke thing. I realize it was poorly executed at best, but I stick with the principle.

If you think the GM position should be abolished, that's a valid point. I'm just opposed to this. Atlasia is never going to be a proper country simulation if the only thing we do is voting and getting votes. If you want something like this, let's just transform into a parliament game.

Last but not least, earlier you've said that you stopped reading GM updates "along with everybody else". Sorry, but that's just plain incorrect. My events has received a lots of feedback, both from the officeholders and citizens. If you don't believe me, check the news thread and officeholders' threads.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:12 AM »

None of us are here to be marionettes,

recent events would suggest otherwise
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length