--- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:02:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)  (Read 2826 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: June 23, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Look, the thing is that I've been trying my best to revive the office of Game Moderator. I won't of course claim that I was free of making mistakes in the process, but I believe that it's my job to provide tough challenges for the administration and plot twists. Beside, Atlasia is currently in such a chaos that maybe some shock like this is warranted.
Isn't this a little extreme, though? There are plenty of ways to make the game more interesting without starting a nuclear war.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »

I've only been here a few months, so my knowledge of past GMs is limited, but Kalwejt was unquestionably a great one. Leaving aside the current debacle, his story lines have added a much needed sense of urgency to the game and, crucially, challenged officeholders to do more than pursue endless pet projects. Its true that not everyone was paying attention, but those of us that were appreciated his dedication.

To that end, Griffin and Lumine are right in saying that the public needs to respect the GM's actions. That does not mean, however, that the GM should have a pass to do outlandish, ridiculous things for the heck of it. Terrorist insurgencies, economic upheaval, and separatist movements are one thing: all of these happen regularly in the real world and are a natural byproduct of instability like what we saw last October. Giving the GM the authority to trigger an apocalypse, however, is another matter. And, despite what some may say, starting a nuclear war is not the only alternative to inactivity.

The public needs to respect the GM, but the GM also needs to earn that respect by maintaining at least a minimal degree of realism in his story-lines. Prior to this incident, I would say that Kalwejt has done that, and his resignation should not prevent future GMs from playing an active role in the future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies